Re-trading

Sorry I really wasn't sure where to put this!

Just looking for a bit of advice really. My husband got promoted to LCPL in October then did his PNCO this July (first course his unit got him on). He has been thinking of re-trading for a while from Driver Linesman to Operator.

Two questions - would he lose his rank and would we get to keep this house whilst he went to Blandford for 8 months?

Why would he lose his rank? I've seen RLC drivers re-badge and keep their tape. Career progression would stall for a while as he works his way back to class 1 though.

More to the point, can't see the Corps being too keen to lose a CLS and gain a CSOp. There isn't a lack of CS Ops. What about CS Eng?

Given the push to convert operators to techs I'd be surprised if they were allowing such a transfer, since operator courses at Blandford have been suspended.
That being said, sign-off rates at my unit are steadily rising...

BinaryWarfare

Old-Salt
Given the push to convert operators to techs...

That just made me sick in my mouth.

The RAF amalgamated comms operator with tech trades, the result is a bunch of mongs that were happy to take the payrise but don't have the knowledge to carry out anything but the most mundane and simple of IT/tech tasks.

Now the Corps is going the same way? Ugh.

The RAF amalgamated comms operator with tech trades, the result is a bunch of mongs that were happy to take the payrise but don't have the knowledge to carry out anything but the most mundane and simple of IT/tech tasks.

This isn't the same thing. There is a lack of CSEng and retraces are filling it. We will probably feel the pain in the supervisory rosters at a later date, but nowhere near as much as the blue jobs who have ignored the fact that there is more to life than putting officer in big silver birds in the sky.

The same can be said for most of the RAF if my recent experiences are anything to go by. Since the modern tech is mostly sat in the workshop occasionally making bootlace coax, an amalgamation would fit the politicos idea of a 'streamlined' army.

Latest Threads