Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-Trading to something I’m already a Class 3 in.

Hello all,

Just after some information, and hopefully someone knows of or been in the same boat as me.

Before I joined as a regular 4 years ago I was a STAB, same cap badge different job, (listed on JPA as class 3).
A year or so later I decided I wanted to join full time and under same cap badge but picked another trade. I’ve been doing the job for about 2 1/2 years and I honestly hate it. I have no job satisfaction what so ever and dream of doing what I did when I was a reservist. I’ve spoken and sometimes go over to the there workshop and help with there work on ex etc and I just know it’s what I want.
My question is once I notify my CoC I want to change over and complete the paperwork, any idea if I’d need to redo trade training?
My other question is, is there any return on service for retrading?

Thanks

Hello all,

Just after some information, and hopefully someone knows of or been in the same boat as me.

Before I joined as a regular 4 years ago I was a STAB, same cap badge different job, (listed on JPA as class 3).
A year or so later I decided I wanted to join full time and under same cap badge but picked another trade. I’ve been doing the job for about 2 1/2 years and I honestly hate it. I have no job satisfaction what so ever and dream of doing what I did when I was a reservist. I’ve spoken and sometimes go over to the there workshop and help with there work on ex etc and I just know it’s what I want.
My question is once I notify my CoC I want to change over and complete the paperwork, any idea if I’d need to redo trade training?

Thanks
The army can be a bit weird about stuff like that, but if it’s recorded as a competence on JPA and you’re still current then I would have though logic should dictate you don’t need to.

In_Twists

Old-Salt
Agreed. if its on your docs and in date/has no run out date, then should be fine..
As long as everything is the same as the Regular course - duration, modules covered, tests etc. If theres one thing different, the Army could well make you do the whole thing again.
Look at it this way - Top Student!

Agreed. if its on your docs and in date/has no run out date, then should be fine..
As long as everything is the same as the Regular course - duration, modules covered, tests etc. If theres one thing different, the Army could well make you do the whole thing again.
Look at it this way - Top Student!

I did the trade for 5 years in civi street before I joined up it would be a breeze but I honestly don’t think I could re-sit a 1 year course.
Any idea on return on service?

Last edited:

In_Twists

Old-Salt
I did the trade for 5 years in civi street before I joined up it would be a breeze but I honestly don’t think I could resist a 1 year course.

No idea. I assume its Army? RAF do some sort of thing but maybe only for certain trades.
There'll be an ARRSer who gen'd up on this. Me, I can barely figure out JPA!

Hello all,

Thanks
You need to speak to your Corps PSO, probably via your RCMO or CoC. Unfortunately they have to GaF for you to get a response, hopefully they do. The PSO (or equivalent) is the person that pushes trade/cap badge changes through. Ours sits in Corps HQ. Decisions seem to me mainly objective but it is down to personalities at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I did the trade for 5 years in civi street before I joined up it would be a breeze but I honestly don’t think I could re-sit a 1 year course.

Perhaps some haggling come compromise. Offer to resit the exams/tests without doing the training and that if you fail you will agree to stay with your current trade. If you are confident of passing then this should be a low risk/nothing to lose approach for you.

Perhaps some haggling come compromise. Offer to resit the exams/tests without doing the training and that if you fail you will agree to stay with your current trade. If you are confident of passing then this should be a low risk/nothing to lose approach for you.
There's a lot of noise to get through before attempting to barter, especially if he/she is in a field unit. He's got to identify the individual that make the decision whilst ensuring that there's an audit trail etc. Odds are that the OPS/FTS (whatever they're called now have changed) and the previous course might not be relevant. I'd recommend looking at numbers in trade too. If you're trying to move from one that is short to one that is full you're going to need a lot of biscuits. OP should get into the RCMOs inbox and save all of your emails.

There would be some elements relating to safety I’d be out of date on I suspect, I doubt they would provide only taking the tests as an option. I obtained the class 3-2 and 2-1 workbooks for the new trade and I’ve completed most of 3-2 previous and some of 2-1 but I always wondered if I tracked down my old class 1’s if they could back date some of the work I done haha

There's a lot of noise to get through before attempting to barter, especially if he/she is in a field unit. He's got to identify the individual that make the decision whilst ensuring that there's an audit trail etc. Odds are that the OPS/FTS (whatever they're called now have changed) and the previous course might not be relevant. I'd recommend looking at numbers in trade too. If you're trying to move from one that is short to one that is full you're going to need a lot of biscuits. OP should get into the RCMOs inbox and save all of your emails.

Best advice of the day.

Latest Threads