Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RE to RLC transfer

Afternoon all......

To further my last thread (core resettlement entitlement in the training Wing section of the site) I've had a think about it and am looking at a potential transfer over to the RLC as a Marine Engineer. I have a feeling that the issue isn't the army, its more of my unit. We never seem to do anything other than menial jobs and barely anything trade related which is what I joined to do. I've done my homework and it looks a more involved and interesting than my current role. It also looks much more trade based and a better use of my current skills as well as being what I actually joined to do. This perception is backed up by a very good friend of mine who is a marine engineer. This has led to a couple of questions....

1: How easy is it? I'm fully aware it depends on vacancies and manning but typically how long does a transfer take? I'm under the impression it's getting easier as well as we've 4 people in my Squadron (off the top of my head) who've transferred from various cap badges to RE. But I've also read of experiences where people keep getting stalled by the hierarchy until they give up or sign off.

2: How much would you get dicked about if you asked for a transfer? I've a feeling it's going to be inevitable but typically how obstructive are they?

3: How long does it typically take?

4: How would one go about it?

Cheers in advance for the replies

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
Speak to your RCMO or what ever they're called today, or go to your nearest RLC unit and speak to someone in trade currently. You may find that they are doing mundane work as well

Speak to your RCMO or what ever they're called today, or go to your nearest RLC unit and speak to someone in trade currently. You may find that they are doing mundane work as well

Like I said, a very good friend of mine is one at the moment and he reckons its pretty good for getting hands on with your trade. As I said in my previous thread, I'd like to give the army another chance before punching out.

Like I said, a very good friend of mine is one at the moment and he reckons its pretty good for getting hands on with your trade. As I said in my previous thread, I'd like to give the army another chance before punching out.
My younger brother did exactly the same, iirc correctly it took less than a month.

Good luck with the transfer. As an ME you should have plenty to do bearing in mind that it is mostly Mexeflote nowadays. Falklands is an ongoing detachment. Any humanitarian projects tend to involve 17 P & M.

Good luck with the transfer. As an ME you should have plenty to do bearing in mind that it is mostly Mexeflote nowadays. Falklands is an ongoing detachment. Any humanitarian projects tend to involve 17 P & M.

Many thanks for the response!

Yeah like I've said anything that means I can get more hands on and actually do my trade and do some more interesting stuff. It's killing my enthusiasm being stuck in a G10 waiting for jobs which 9 times out of 10 are incredibly menial while not doing my trade. Not really what I signed up for

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Beware the possibility that your friend might be mainly doing menial jobs as well, and is simply telling you what you want to hear.

Oh no, he wouldn't do that, I hear you say........

Dr Death

War Hero
Hope you like Marchwood....
Oh the joys of the place, it could be called Southampton if you were posh.
The spiritual home of the waterborne RLC.

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
Many thanks for the response!

Yeah like I've said anything that means I can get more hands on and actually do my trade and do some more interesting stuff. It's killing my enthusiasm being stuck in a G10 waiting for jobs which 9 times out of 10 are incredibly menial while not doing my trade. Not really what I signed up for

As a chippy, I finished my trade training in 1989, I next used my trade on Grapple 1, but only using a trailer saw to cut some NEB components, after that I never touched the tools again. Am I sad, no not really, and to be fair, I wasn't much good at it but was never given the chance to use and improve my skills.

As a chippy, I finished my trade training in 1989, I next used my trade on Grapple 1, but only using a trailer saw to cut some NEB components, after that I never touched the tools again. Am I sad, no not really, and to be fair, I wasn't much good at it but was never given the chance to use and improve my skills.

Thats the problem, it's completely killing my enthusiasm not being able to use it. I also get a feeling that most of the work that does come in happens because they can't find anything better for us to do. Again if there were some deployments or helping out with the Covid debacle in some form that would make up for it. But it's literally for the past 8 months just being sat around waiting for nothing to happen

Beware the possibility that your friend might be mainly doing menial jobs as well, and is simply telling you what you want to hear.

Oh no, he wouldn't do that, I hear you say........

Well its got to be worth a try at least. Frankly thats the whole reason I want out of this place. As explained above its killing me just being sat round waiting for nothing to happen

PaulinBont

Old-Salt
I qualified as a Sparkie after two years in Chepstow-posted to the Fatherland and never touched a screwdriver again. The Corps will churn out Trades every year, irrespective of need so most end up in Field Squadrons doing Combat Engineering for the rest of their careers. Decide whether you actually enjoy your chosen trade, if so transfer to a Fd Sp Sqn, if not commit to the transfer to the RLC. Good luck whatever you decide.

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
I qualified as a Sparkie after two years in Chepstow-posted to the Fatherland and never touched a screwdriver again. The Corps will churn out Trades every year, irrespective of need so most end up in Field Squadrons doing Combat Engineering for the rest of their careers. Decide whether you actually enjoy your chosen trade, if so transfer to a Fd Sp Sqn, if not commit to the transfer to the RLC. Good luck whatever you decide.

Chepstow was great, loads of leave and quite enjoyable. Only hard ish bit was the TSC at the end. I enjoyed my time there, 87-89

I rember the C Sqn bedding storeman at JLR RE in the early seventies was an electrian. A good advert for the trade.

Latest Threads