Re-taxing a vehicle - bureacracy

The DVLA hold online records of whether your vehicle has an MOT certificate and is insured and taxed.

Why is it then that I have to produce a paper copy of the insurance certificate and MOT as well as the vehicle registration document to re-tax the vehicle?

Why can't I just go to the Post office with the registration mark written on the back of my hand and say "tax disc for this please." ?


Because the Post Office isn't part of DVLA, and can't consult the relevant database, hence you have to provide the paper evidence.

Or, as said above, do it online.
More annoyingly - why do they insist on seeing your 'current' insurance documents - specifically when it runs out the next day...rather than the 'future' insurance documents which start tomorrow and cover you for the next year.

I want that hour of my life back.


Similar threads

Latest Threads