Re-taping a Gortex jacket

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by thecoops, Mar 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found an old gortex jacket the other day. But he seams need re-taping and I'm just wondering how easy cheap will it be ?

cheers Coops

2. Cheers shortarms but the jacket isn't worth £42 that's why I'm looking to do it my self

• Like Like x 1
  3. If the tape has detached, it could be that the jacket is knackered and the goretex/mvp has lost its water repellency.

My ACF county got gifted a ton of Goretex jackets as surplus. Some were new, most were G1, but some were so old and had been washed so often they were water absorbent and were no protection from the rain at all. These ones all had loose tapes.

So taping it might be a waste of time. Buy a new one?

4. Just a factoid: There was a lady in Leicestershire who used to make canoe gear in her spare bedroom/workshop she started out doing spray decks and jackets, bags and for those in the know she provided a nice product line of made to measure gear and would also knock out custom gear - some of it in DPM and definately not intended for canoeing. Her forte was that she would make the stuff out of goretex backed fabrics and tape the stuff up basically using sort of a low temperature iron affair and I also saw her using contact adhesive.

The factoid is that the manufacturer stopped selling her, and many others, goretex because goretex got a bad rep in the late 90's because it was leaking. It turned out it was not the goretex that was failing, but rather the seams due to poor seam sealing. As a result Goretex required everyone who wanted to use goretex to invest in particular seam sealers, the smallest of which I remember the nice canyon gear lady telling me was 8000 quid back then. That is the time small manufacturers started looking at alternative fabrics to goretex.

So Coops, use some contact adhesive with an artists brush. Tape up the area on the jacket to keep the adhesive off unwanted areas next to seams - you should find that the adhesive not contacted onto a second layer will come off if you rub it anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. foxtrot40

foxtrot40 Swinger Book Reviewer

SeamGrip - available from any good camping retailer and e-bay. Have resealed tent seams successfully and with a little practise you can apply straihgt from the tube.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  6. I got a roll of gortex seam tape before they got into approving manufacturers. It's pretty simple to iron on if the surface is clean. You can also (as mentioned) do a similar job with fabric strips and contact adhesive, though it's unlikely to stay on as long. It's not really necessary to uses gortex or breathable tape as the area is relatively small. The tape is also handy for rips in pertex (buffalo skin) and reinforcing thin areas.

7. You iron on the tape, no glue needed, and if the outer fabric absorbs water you re- proof it. If it doesn't bead off the water it won't breathe.

8. Another factoid gleaned from a Goretex employee whilst wandering around an outdoor gear shop in Delaware - where a lot of Gore is based:

Apparently when Gore bought out their windstopper fabric and gear started being made out of it the serious users soon discovered that wind-stopper was better than goretex at being both wind and water - proof. As a result Gore apparently require manufacturers to make their wind-stopper products 'non-waterproof' so as not to interfere with the sales of goretex. To comply ;);) the big manufacturers leave a small patch (about 1 inch by 3 inches) at the back of the neck/collar area which has no wind-stopper fabric so that the garment is not [100%] water-proof......so still just as good really unless it just rains on your neck.

9. I have fixed old bivi bags with the tape, though it is a pain in the corners. Armpits might be a bit awkward on the jacket, depending on the design. You need to be able to get the area to be taped reasonably flat or you will get gaps.