Re-supply misery

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by wg100, Jul 31, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What a sorry state of affairs. 13.5 weeks in theatre. We’ve lost 63 PRR headsets to various damages (mainly from changing them around from bloke to bloke due to a general PRR shortage) and received 5 back. Five!!! We are down to multiple commanders and team commanders with comms now – harking back to the days in N.I.
    I know that the old and bold will say that ‘back in the day we shouted’, but try doing that in a busy Kabul street. Your lucky if the guy one back from you hears, apart from broadcasting your intentions to the entire street.…

What sort of supplies system do we have? I reckon the Afghans are doing better than us at army logistics! Of course, I forgot, this is the Army, where stores are for storing…
  2. What does the local HQ have to say ? They should have sight of resupply problems and ought to be hastening the supply chain at every chance. For ops there is an imperative that stretches all the way back to DLO ... and it's not necessarily a question of cash since the Treasury has its Conflict Prevention Fund available for theses things.
  3. Well I think we have the joy of slipping through the cracks. as a britfor coy attached to a nato HQ. Trying to get anything done results in you being bounced around the QMs system. Nobody gives a flying fcuk! You'd expect more from the army on ops.
  4. Are you normally attached to the HQ in question or is this a bespoke arrangement for this Op?

Your CQMS should know who to report deficiencies to? Where is the rest of your kit coming from?

63 headsets lost/damaged seems quite high. If there is an issue with the suitability of the equipment, ie if it is unsuitable or too fragile, then it needs reporting otherwise nothing can be done to alleviate the issue.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I think that this is the key point here - just under 5 headsets per week on average is unacceptable for a Coy group (if I have understood it correctly).

I doubt if my whole Bn went through that many on Telic. Early breakages were soon attributed to connections within the headset being broken by too much tension being applied to the various leads - ie snagging and pulling on headsets etc. Blaming the resupply system is no way to avoid the issue of poor equipment care.

6. If there is a problem with the kit failing all the time then EFR's should be raised. Moaning about it on the web won't get the problem sorted.

If the kit is overdue from trade then it's not a problem with the supply system, GD UK still has the contract for this kit and it could very well be a problem on their side.
  7. strima has a good point here. If you dont raise the correct EFR paperwork the supply chain and the contractor responsible for the repair wont log the correct trends in faults, then modifications to improve the situation wont happen.

EFR's are a pain in the onions, but are vitality important to end up with a piece of kit that is fit for purpose.
  8. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

We also had problems with PRR when I was in Afghanistan in 2002 - albeit not on this scale. Any which were damaged could not be fixed in-country (we thought due to lack of a Tels Tech on the orbat) and had to backloaded to Oman.

After a very slow return of kit to us, we did some digging and discovered that they were not being fixed in Oman at all but were then being flown back to Blighty where GD UK were conducting repairs. Given that they were not going to lay on flights just to get our kit fixed (other small items were having to be backloaded for repair as well), that meant that we were relying on routine flight timings and GD UK for our repair/replace chain for PRR.

Going on the slow return rate, I'm guessing GD UK have not deployed a team in-country to support PRR (joys of contractors rather than training up some REME lads) and this is why there is such a slow return of kit to you.

Not much help, I know, but it may be the cause of lack of replacements.