Re-stocking a stream with brown trout - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by bigeye, Jun 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a 200 yard stretch of Wiltshire stream fed by a large mill pond (not mine). Apart from a large Ox-Bow pond (which is still fed by the stream) the minimum width of the stream is 6' and the maximum 12'. The maximum depth is about 1' - a shade more at rock pools possibly.

The water is clean, fast flowing and currently supports a fair number of crayfish, unfortunately the pesky signal variety. Apart from the odd heron, the only predators of note capable of taking yearling trare Mink (courtesy of the ALF) and allegedly Otter, although I would happily feed them all the trout they wanted.

Does anyone have experience of keeping trout - pitfalls or tips etc? Although we have had a couple in the past I assume they fell down the monk from the stocked mill pond - I've not bothered with them in any large numbers.
  2. You must have more money than sence me old fruit? whats to stop them swimming away into your neighbours pond so yoy cant get at them? I suggest you get some round open tanks, place them near the banks ensuring that if the river floods they wont be affected and pump the water to them from the stream. Then breed them!
  3. The mill pond has a monk (a square chimney with the top at water level) as an overflow with a 6' drop down to the stream - even a champion super-trout would struggle to leap it. Downstream there is a natural waterfall. This should keep them within our boundaries. It's a family property - not just mine: but I've been given responsibility for the water.
  4. Sadly there was a trout farm very near us (also Wilts) that was converted last year to a scout camp or something like that. I often wonder where the trout went - perhaps into the Kennet and Avon which is only a hundred yards away.

If you need any help controlling stock in the future I've just taken up fly fishing... :)

BTW, those crayfish are good eatin' - just ignore the rules on trapping them and fill your boots!
  5. Try these people:
    Advice and Practical Help | The Wild Trout Trust
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I didnt think there were any rules on trapping signal crayfish, just lots of hints and tips!
  7. I've been taking a few out over the years but not enough for a decent sized sandwich. I had a team from Southampton University visit a couple of years ago - they were trying to gauge the damage the Septic Signals had done to our good old British variety. I don't think they were able to find any left.

8. Put them all straight in your freezer ,it`ll save dicking around with a fishing rod and you`ll get a 100% success rate, job done.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. When I lived in Bristol I knew a friend of a friend who lived in Kingswood, Gloucestershire and his hobby was [anorak alert] collecting old bottles. Finding old bottles was often done, so I was informed, by digging in old rubbish dumps. Anyway, he took me to his recently found gold mine which, and this is where the relevance of this tale is achieved, was by a small stream.
    We followed the stream from where it exited a mill to his current dig site, a distance of about 300 yards. The stream was no more than five feet wide and about 18 inches deep and quite a fast flow. As we walked I look at the stream and was amazed to see several decent sized brook trout. They were, I was informed, escapees from a trout farm further downstream.
    For the next six months or so I had a couple of fresh trout for breakfast every Sunday. And forget about flies - ledgering with a worm was much quicker!
  10. What do you need to know?

Habitat sounds ideal except a water fall and a 6 foot jump will not keep them in your stretch for long. The angling association I am in has stopped stocking brownies as they are very adapt to moving vast distances, especially during spawning time or high water. We have a place called The Falls of Feugh where the fish have to swim up over a fall and malestom of water...but they manage. No idea how. Insteasd, the association has improved spawning habitat and the river has never been so good.

The good thing about your stretch though, is that if its a good habitat, then there is no need for them to move away. By adding "fly boards" into the water you can encourage greater fly life and thus food into the stream.

Remember, you need permission to stock. If in England, the Environmental Agency needs contacting. If in Scotland, SEPA.

Good thing about Brown Trout is that they will breed if the water is suitable, so once stocked, even if you do lose a few up and down stream, they will replace themselves given time.

A good friend of mine has recently started stocking his fishery purely with Brown Trout, and the fishing has been fantastic. They are harder to catch than Rainbows, look fantastic and love taking flies off the top :)

Don't forget, some Brownies will decide they want to run to sea and will change into Sea Trout and run downstream. Good news is they will be back in 1-5 years much bigger and fitter!

Lastly, remember, Brown Trout are you will lose a few..but they will come back.
  11. Thanks for that. They have no chance of working up stream as the monk has a lid and bars to keep branches out. Down stream is another matter - but as you stated hopefully they'll spawn in our stretch.

I tried googling 'fly boards' but to no avail - what are they please?
  12. The Rivers Authority are the people to speak to on this. I have a river at the back of my house and have in the past spoken with them about the trout in the river. You can add the wrong type of trout into the river population, and this apparently causes havoc, like the cat among the pidgeons.
  13. Best of luck, and don't forget to let VM and I know a. how you get on, and b. WTF your stream is!
  14. very jealous, good luck with the project