Re-soling US Desert Boots

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by napier, Feb 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Having previously had jungle boots successfully re-soled in Aldershot (Veitch's), I took my old (very comfortable but paper thin soles) US desert boots to Altberg in Richmond for a re-sole, to be told that they don't re-sole them; I was told that the softer composition material on the desert boot melts when they try to grind it off. I subsequently took them to a cobbler in town to be told that it would cost nearly £50 for a midsole and vibram outer sole to be fitted.

Does anyone know a decent cobbler who can fit a midsole and vibram outer sole and doesn't charge the earth?

Before anyone asks, yes I have both Meindl and Lowa as issued, but I still prefer my old yank boots. I also know that I could buy a new pair for less than the cost of a resole, but I want to extend the life of the well fitting ones I already have.
  2. Have you tried Timpsons :?

I know my cobbler charged 30quid to get my issue safety boots resoled.

The excuse that they were too wide for the commando sole, meant a non grip sole thats a cuunt on mud.
  3. I think Altama do re-soling, postage to the US and back is probably going to be the same as a new pair though so I don't know if they have any UK agents/dealers/distributors or someone who can do it on this side of the pond. Could be worthwhile asking them.