RE Role in developing Trench Warfare 1915 - BBC4 Prog upcoming

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ScaleyDave, Apr 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ** Deleted **

It seems that simply informing people that a program that might contain information they dont already know is somehow offensive to some users of this site

Argue about this instead - today is Friday

2. Well I can assure you if the trenches are of a decent standard, none would have been dug by trainee Plant Ops from the plant park down the hill.

3. It was previously thought troops were largely thrown into battle in World War I with little preparation and training, but the discovery may require historians to rethink that view.

The only people who think that are the uneducated on the subject and BBC journalists who never let the facts get in the way of a sensationalist story. Read Infangtry Training 1914...

4. Its not like this is ancient history. Until recently there have been people alive who the question could be asked of. Excuse me Sir did you have any training in Trench Warfare? Yes. Well thanks that clears that up.

5. As it says "may require historians to rethink"

6. A bit more obvious just up the hill from Rothbury...

Rothbury trenches.jpg

7. Rethink? No mate, think in the first place.

8. It a program, that all............ it might tell you something you were not aware of

If you dont want to watch it thats fine...........

9. No different from the First day of the Somme stuff. "Why did they send the men in the first wave out burdened with all that kit?"
    Maybe because that kit was needed to fortify the positions taken that had been smashed by artillery fire and built to face the opposite way?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Do you think the fact that 1914 vintage soldiers carried entrenching tools might be a clue that escaped the BBC?

Wordsmith

11. Its ok, dont worry, the program is actually about the establishment where trench designs were tested and modified based on operational feedback, but you all know all that already so dont bother

12. As the original link has been removed, I'll put this one in: BBC News - Network of World War I trenches discovered on Hoo Peninsula

I know that ScaleyDave is grumpy but the information given suggests that the content is based on aerial photos. How anyone can claim that the trenches were for research and development, rather than just practice, is beyond me if that's all the information they've got.

As I posted, there are more visible trenches near Rothbury and doubtless many more elsewhere. The sad thing is that there's a gap in the history books telling about the research that presumably went on - or did it, given that trenches weren't a new invention though WW1 France proliferated them.

13. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

There were trenches in the American civil war. And there were certainly trenches during the siege of Port Arthur in the Russo-Japanese war of 1905. So it shouldn't have come as a total surprise to the varying commanders that trench war developed in 1914.

My creaking memory says the trenches developed on an ad-hoc basis as the 'race to the sea' petered out and both sides recognised there was no open flank to exploit. They were also very variable in construction depending on both the soil and the height of the water table - indeed in some places the trenches were built of sandbags above ground level.

Given the extreme variability of trenches, it's difficult to see how research and development would have much impact on their construction. I could see trial trenches being constructed in order to develop information for a manual, but the big differences in the ground and the topology where the trenches were built in France, etc, would surely have prevented much standardisation.

Wordsmith

14. Personally I will wait and see whats in the program BEFORE I slag it off, but thats just a personal foible.....