Re - RLC Roll of Honour

Discussion in 'RLC' started by FaceLikeAPingPongBall, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone from the RLC, perhaps Woopert, explain to the rest of us why the below, tragic as their deaths are/were for their family and friends, are included in the locked 'RLC Roll Of Honour' thread?

HQ Depot & Training Regiment, Deepcut

Pte Sean Benton, 9th June 1995

Pte Cheryl James, 27th November 1995

Pte Geoff Gray, 17th September 2001

Pte James Collinson, 23rd March 2002

2. Let's see - they died in the service of their country. How their death happened is another matter.

I think we should leave it there eh.

3. I was interested to see this thread locked - just as I made a post about the two who died in Kabul in 02 - one murdered by the other who then committed suicide. Not sure I class a suicidal murderer as 'dying in the service of his country'. I refused to read his name out at a US memorial service as I couldn't quite see how placing him alongside those who had died in action was the right thing to do.

4. I agree with hellfyyr, but only if there is going to be recognition of similar 'non-operational' type fatalities. (eg RTAs off duty, falls or RTAs on duty, etc)

The thread is obviously a work in progress, but generally speaking I think Woopert has had a good idea and I hope he will be able to continue and complete it. I for one do not know all the medals won by fellow loggies, and this is as good a place as any for them to be remembered.

5. The 346 soldiers shot at dawn for military offences in WW1 died in the service of their country. Tragic and imotive as the deaths at Deepcut are, they are hardly 'honourable', since when has it been 'honourable' to slot yourself when guarding you mates - unless you are suggesting it was murder not suicide!

6. Another fantastic post from you - I sometimes wonder whether you have ever served.

Go and troll elsewhere

[​IMG]

7. Fair point Ratfink...

8. Oh and Ting-Tong Face; it's 'emotive'...

:roll:

9. Cheers bud' I can't spell in any of the FIVE languages I speak... it's an honourable cross I have to bear 8)

10. Perhaps a little harsh. The man has a point and questioning his service really weakens your standing as it brings your defence down to little more than name calling. They didn't die 'in the service of their country' any more than some twats who get hit by, fall out of or crash into things. Therefore they shouldn't be included. But I'm sure I'll hear more from you on the subject!

11. This is not the first instance of such drivel from the poster in question vino. If (when you have a wider view of him) you later believe the service issue to be wrong then my bad. I simply believe that the subject of Deepcut deaths should be allowed to rest and is not a point for scoring (against WW1 deaths). They died in uniform - I think that should be the end of it.

12. Outstandingly and unnecessarily trollish. The distinction here should be between operational and non-operational deaths, not the cause of death.

13. Fair dit and I bow to your greater experience of said individual. WW1 deaths not a great example but are we going to put any troop who dies of any cause in or out of ops onto such a roll?

14. The Deepcut deaths should, indeed, be 'left to rest' as you say and leaving them to rest does not included the pc group hug clap trap of hanging their names in a roll of honour!

15. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

So what are you trying to say? The soldiers you mention shot at dawn are, for the most part, buried in the Commonwealth cemetries in the same way and with no distinguishing feature as to the manner of their death as the comrades who were killed in action, died of their wounds etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.