RE Officer Careers

Not in the Royal Engineers. And not when it oisses matloes off.
RN probably think a mole strangler is some sort of fancy knot for tying up to a wharf. Or would that be a quay, pier or jetty?

Afternoon all,

I'm currently applying for RMAS and the corps has caught my eye. I've had a read of a load of the material on here, but I've still got a few questions, and I'd appreciate it if anyone can volunteer some answers.

First off, what's the average officer like in the RE in terms of their education - I'm 19 and am not a graduate, so I'm a bit concerned that I might be putting myself at a bit of a disadvantage compared to other applicants, who are likely older and with a Degree in a technical discipline. Would this be the case?

Next up, how much would I potentially get to 'shape' my career in the RE - I've noticed that officers in the RM and other Army units seem to move around between staff jobs a lot after their initial troop command, with limited scope to actually stay in a green (ish) role. I'm not overly interested in a staff job and would probably like to minimise my time sat behind a desk in an office away from a unit - how realistic is it that I'd be able to steer my career in this direction?

Also, does the corps encourage people (who are up to standard) to do things like the Commando Course, Divers Course or a Jumps Course? Or is it one of them things that exists on paper, but is like hens teeth to come by in reality, even if you are up to the standard required to do them?

I've also heard that, back in the day, some units would offer Young Officers the opportunity to do their first troop command with an Infantry/RM unit, in order to gain experience of how they operate and some skills outside of what they would otherwise get. Can anyone confirm if this is still 'a thing'?

I've been fingering some issues of that 'sapper' magazine - I noticed that EOD&S is becoming a trade in the RE. Does anyone have any gen on if the role of an ATO might move from the RLC to RE? This is an area in the RLC that has really caught my eye after I spent some time with 45 Cdo RM and saw a bit of what 821 EOD&S Sqn get up to.

And last but not least, and also not entirely related, anyone know the gen on facial hair at Sandhurst? I've spent the last few months working on a ranch down under, and have managed to acquire some form of hairy caterpillar under my nose - anyone know if I can keep him?

I realise that this is a bombardment of questions but I'd be grateful to anyone who could shed some light on any of them (or any others for that matter).Cheers!!

There's been lots of good answers already.

Just one point: the corps that send their officers off to do a Platoon Commander's course are people like the REME who don't have many roles for very junior officers. Sappers are organised in troops and at least your first post (perhaps more as a non-graduate) would be as a troop commander.

Cheers for the response mate - so just so I can get my wee brain round it all, RE officers do the same EOD qualifications as RLC ATOs, but instead of the extra quals that an ATO would do (to do with things like storage and inspections, movement) the RE EOD do this "High Assurance Search"?

Any idea where I can find some extra gen on this course?

Also, would being Para/Cdo trained potentially mean you could serve with 821 EOD&S Squadron?

There's been lots of good answers already.

Just one point: the corps that send their officers off to do a Platoon Commander's course are people like the REME who don't have many roles for very junior officers. Sappers are organised in troops and at least your first post (perhaps more as a non-graduate) would be as a troop commander.

Cheers for the gen, that's what I like to hear. Does anyone have any idea how quickly it's possible to get into EOD post RMAS, and how long an officer would be likely to stay in an EOD Post once trained. I assume @dingerr and @chimera have a hunch but if anyone else knows please weigh in - appreciate all the answers you guys have given so far

chimera

LE
Cheers for the gen, that's what I like to hear. Does anyone have any idea how quickly it's possible to get into EOD post RMAS, and how long an officer would be likely to stay in an EOD Post once trained. I assume @dingerr and @chimera have a hunch but if anyone else knows please weigh in - appreciate all the answers you guys have given so far

I can only answer for the Sappers, but you can be posted straight from the RE Troop Commanders' Course to one of the RE EOD units. EOD (together with 23 Para and 24 Cdo Regts) are popular choices off the Tp Comd Cse, so there will be compettion for the places. After your first tour it is almost certain that you will be posted to another unit before potentially returning.

Latest Threads