Re-mapping or chipping an engine

I have a 2017 Hilux, with the 2.4 litre engine. But......even allowing for being a farm truck and doing lots of short journeys, the economy is appalling, 20mpg with eco mode on, my old Navara would do 28. It is also a disappointment when towing, it will supposedly tow 3.5t, yet it was a pretty uncomfortable trip the other day with about 1850kg behind it, constantly hunting for a gear, and struggling on hills. My question is, would remapping, or chipping the engine for more hp solve either or both issues.

I have a 2017 Hilux, with the 2.4 litre engine. But......even allowing for being a farm truck and doing lots of short journeys, the economy is appalling, 20mpg with eco mode on, my old Navara would do 28. It is also a disappointment when towing, it will supposedly tow 3.5t, yet it was a pretty uncomfortable trip the other day with about 1850kg behind it, constantly hunting for a gear, and struggling on hills. My question is, would remapping, or chipping the engine for more hp solve either or both issues.
Should perform better than that ,It may be under powered and have a problem that needs resolving , see if you have a re mapper close to you who has a rolling road dyno , they are good BS eliminators , you can also get the EGR turned off on some diesels.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
how long have you had it?

is it bog standard or has someone been cocking about with it alread?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
If there is an underlying issue, a remap won't cure it, it may mask it or make it worse.
Typical checks for any vehicle with low MPG issues are:-
Stored DTC's
Service history
tyre pressures
brake wear
average journey length / type / time of day
Fuel quality
Starter battery condition
Vehicle load
Owners location (hilly terrain etc.)
Accessories fitted
All the above can & do affect MPG, some more than others. The effect may be cumulative based on several factors - or there may be an underlying fault.
Don't waste your money on a remap until you can rule out everything else.

What is the mileage?
If it is much over 70k, it will be worth getting the injectors cleaned. OK, that's a task on a diesel but they clog up and dribble fuel when they do.
I had a petol 6 pot carbon cleaned many years ago and it felt like a new motor had been fitted. It had about 90k on it at the time.
It's an aspect that may people over -look.

What is the mileage?
If it is much over 70k, it will be worth getting the injectors cleaned. OK, that's a task on a diesel but they clog up and dribble fuel when they do.
I had a petol 6 pot carbon cleaned many years ago and it felt like a new motor had been fitted. It had about 90k on it at the time.
It's an aspect that may people over -look.
It has done 50k miles. There are still a few months warranty left on it so I'll see if I can get it into a main dealer sometime soon. The mpg is disappointing, but given the short journeys farm pick ups do perhaps not so surprising, though still a lot worse than the 2012 Navara. The towing performance however was risible, and made me regret not considering a Ford Ranger 3.2, no replacement for displacement etc.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
It has done 50k miles. There are still a few months warranty left on it so I'll see if I can get it into a main dealer sometime soon. The mpg is disappointing, but given the short journeys farm pick ups do perhaps not so surprising, though still a lot worse than the 2012 Navara. The towing performance however was risible, and made me regret not considering a Ford Ranger 3.2, no replacement for displacement etc.
Gear ratios can make quite a difference - also, are you sure it's not already been remapped?
If you take it to a dealer, don't complain of poor MPG, just poor performance / low power - you'll get a more thorough diagnosis rather than being quoted the standard 'low MPG' getout text...

ETA - you could always try a Cetane booster, rural filling stations (or barrels) have a lower turnover of fuel which in turn means it is less efficient as the volatiles 'gas off' over time.

A 2.4 isn't big and certainly can't be compared to a 2.8 or bigger for towing, perhaps it's the wrong vehicle for your application? 1800kg is a bit bigger than I can bench-press, so not a small load. .........
Unladen it should do more than 20mpg.
Oil, filters, tyres, it all adds up to mpg and pulling.
Beyond that is fcuked turbo (lack of oil change in farm life?)
Blocked injectors

If there is an underlying issue, a remap won't cure it, it may mask it or make it worse.
Typical checks for any vehicle with low MPG issues are:-
Stored DTC's
Service history
tyre pressures
brake wear
average journey length / type / time of day
Fuel quality
Starter battery condition
Vehicle load
Owners location (hilly terrain etc.)
Accessories fitted
All the above can & do affect MPG, some more than others. The effect may be cumulative based on several factors - or there may be an underlying fault.
Don't waste your money on a remap until you can rule out everything else.
I am starting to think there is a reason Toyota introduced a 2.8 about a year ago, and effectively left the rest of the vehicle unchanged.. It is on new General Grabbers, does a lot of short journeys, with some longer ones, and sometimes has very little in the back and sometimes 500kg. In terms of comfort and off road ability it is great (rear diff, hill descent control, climate control), but as a tool it is not the Great Leap Forward I expected.

Gear ratios can make quite a difference - also, are you sure it's not already been remapped?
If you take it to a dealer, don't complain of poor MPG, just poor performance / low power - you'll get a more thorough diagnosis rather than being quoted the standard 'low MPG' getout text...

ETA - you could always try a Cetane booster, rural filling stations (or barrels) have a lower turnover of fuel which in turn means it is less efficient as the volatiles 'gas off' over time.
Good advice, thank you.

Also, what was it run on in farm life? Chip fat?
fuel filter...?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Good advice, thank you.
No worries- tyre choice can affect the MPG more than you'd think, on my Discovery there is a 3 mpg difference between MT and AT tyres. Grabbers are great on mud / wet grass (although susceptible to sidewall damage) but can be a bit 'rumbly' and dithering on tarmac.
There's so many things that can have a small effect - even the wrong grade or 'cheap' engine oil, an overdue transmission oil change (even for manual 'boxes and differentials / transfer boxes) a starter battery that isn't holding it's charge can decrease MPG by ~1, and of course, short journeys are a killer in terms of carbon build-up in the engine & exhaust, maybe 1-2 MPG less over time?

A 2.4 isn't big and certainly can't be compared to a 2.8 or bigger for towing, perhaps it's the wrong vehicle for your application? 1800kg is a bit bigger than I can bench-press, so not a small load. .........
Unladen it should do more than 20mpg.
Oil, filters, tyres, it all adds up to mpg and pulling.
Beyond that is fcuked turbo (lack of oil change in farm life?)
Blocked injectors
Thank you for your reply. 1800kg isn't a small load, but it is not unusual being made up of one 650kg cow/steer in a tri-axle livestock box. The sort of thing I thought these vehicles were made for. I will defer judgement until I have had the truck looked at, but I suspect I have fallen for the Hilux hype, unfortunately there is no one to blame apart from myself.

a tank of premium diesel, get it warm & rag the shit out it,

This. Worked on my mate's pootled 2016 Audi A6 3.0 V6 TDi AirPollution S Line model. It ran like crap, and the EML came on. Necked it with SuperDuper Canal Boat Fuel* and after a few days the EML went off and the ar performed much better.

*diesel.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
White diesel, it came(via a dealer) from a fencing company by Heathrow Airport.
So chances are it's had a lifetime of short journeys and / or lots of time idling away with no real heat put into the engine / exhaust - as has been (sort of) suggested, decent fuel in the tank and take it for a long drive (over an hour) keeping the gears one lower than you would normally, putting a load in the vehicle will also help as there will be something to 'pull' on the engine.

Latest Threads