Re-make of The Prisoner

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by RearWords, Dec 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Think I've been so snowed under with work that I must have missed this 'gem' announcement. Apparently ITV1 is showing in 2010 a re-make of the 1960's series "The Prisoner". Now I know there are fans of this series out there, touched on the subject by accident in another thread and wow they came out of the woodwork.

http://www.itv.com/drama/cult/theprisoner/prisonerarticle/default.html

Its going to be shown on ITV.....so should I be worried.....don't know much about the production team. I would think if re-written properly it should be a cracking story. Although would like to see some of the bizarre aspects of the 60's series kept. Intrigued to see if the 'white balloon' survives!!! :D

2. Lucky you lot STV is having a ban on ITV dramas due to cash so will
    stick with the original.

3. well you couldn't possibly beat the original!A classic!

4. That's why I'm worried, seems like so many films and series re-makes never match up to your expectations. Having said that watched a cracking new "Poirot" on ITV over Christmas.

But the original was and is something special, largely due to the late Patrick McGoohan.

5. Did you 'walt shag' him too? :roll:

6. It was shown over here last month. It was not bad. Ian McKellen was especially good but the show was generally too American.

Be seeing you...

7. Was any of it filmed in that mad town in north wales? Port merion I think it was called?

8. Nope, it's all set in the Arizona desert. No Mini-mokes either but a couple of Morris Minors make an appearance.

9. You the duty crayonner tonight. :roll:

10. FFS If these idiots who want to remake classics cant get an original idea then they should stop using up the free oxygen.

11. Yeah but some classics beg to be updated and served so that a younger audience can enjoy. Where would we be if Russell T. Davies hadn't brought back Dr Who from the dead. :roll:

I think if a sympathetic production team with alot of imagination get their hands on a cult series they would do themselves a disfavour to muck it up. The trouble is if funding is from an American source then the temptation to manipulate the story to suit their home market will pIss me off.

12. You're not going to like the new Prisoner then. But yes the white balloons are still in it, to answer your earlier question.

13. The mind boggles thinking about how scary those white balloons were in the original series....a helluva lot of updating needs to happen in order for them to be scary now. :lol:

No disrespect to Americans its just that its OUR cult series....I'm still gonna watch it though. :D

14. The problem is that they invariably fail. Off the top of my head the only remake that comes close to or betters the original is "The Manchurian Candidate".

As for your point about Dr Who, the answer is, better off. Have a good New Year, cheers. :)

15. The new Battlestar Galatica was another excellent remake and far better than the original.

I haven't seen the new Sherlock Holmes movie yet but that looks to have potential. Holmes has been redone many times both on the silver screen and TV. Some good, some bad.