Re-make of The Prisoner

Think I've been so snowed under with work that I must have missed this 'gem' announcement. Apparently ITV1 is showing in 2010 a re-make of the 1960's series "The Prisoner". Now I know there are fans of this series out there, touched on the subject by accident in another thread and wow they came out of the woodwork.

http://www.itv.com/drama/cult/theprisoner/prisonerarticle/default.html

Its going to be shown on ITV.....so should I be worried.....don't know much about the production team. I would think if re-written properly it should be a cracking story. Although would like to see some of the bizarre aspects of the 60's series kept. Intrigued to see if the 'white balloon' survives!!! :D

RearWords said:
Think I've been so snowed under with work that I must have missed this 'gem' announcement. Apparently ITV1 is showing in 2010 a re-make of the 1960's series "The Prisoner". Now I know there are fans of this series out there, touched on the subject by accident in another thread and wow they came out of the woodwork.

Its going to be shown on ITV.....so should I be worried.....don't know much about the production team. I would think if re-written properly it should be a cracking story. Although would like to see some of the bizarre aspects of the 60's series kept. Intrigued to see if the 'white balloon' survives!!! :D
Lucky you lot STV is having a ban on ITV dramas due to cash so will
stick with the original.

tiger stacker said:
RearWords said:

stick with the original.
well you couldn't possibly beat the original!A classic!

Poppy said:
tiger stacker said:
RearWords said:

stick with the original.
well you couldn't possibly beat the original!A classic!
That's why I'm worried, seems like so many films and series re-makes never match up to your expectations. Having said that watched a cracking new "Poirot" on ITV over Christmas.

But the original was and is something special, largely due to the late Patrick McGoohan.

It was shown over here last month. It was not bad. Ian McKellen was especially good but the show was generally too American.

Be seeing you...

Was any of it filmed in that mad town in north wales? Port merion I think it was called?

Barrack Room Lawyer said:
Was any of it filmed in that mad town in north wales? Port merion I think it was called?
Nope, it's all set in the Arizona desert. No Mini-mokes either but a couple of Morris Minors make an appearance.

FFS If these idiots who want to remake classics cant get an original idea then they should stop using up the free oxygen.

BaronBoy said:
FFS If these idiots who want to remake classics cant get an original idea then they should stop using up the free oxygen.
Yeah but some classics beg to be updated and served so that a younger audience can enjoy. Where would we be if Russell T. Davies hadn't brought back Dr Who from the dead. :roll:

I think if a sympathetic production team with alot of imagination get their hands on a cult series they would do themselves a disfavour to muck it up. The trouble is if funding is from an American source then the temptation to manipulate the story to suit their home market will pIss me off.

RearWords said:
I think if a sympathetic production team with alot of imagination get their hands on a cult series they would do themselves a disfavour to muck it up. The trouble is if funding is from an American source then the temptation to manipulate the story to suit their home market will pIss me off.
You're not going to like the new Prisoner then. But yes the white balloons are still in it, to answer your earlier question.

PsyWar.Org said:
RearWords said:
You're not going to like the new Prisoner then. But yes the white balloons are still in it, to answer your earlier question.
The mind boggles thinking about how scary those white balloons were in the original series....a helluva lot of updating needs to happen in order for them to be scary now. :lol:

No disrespect to Americans its just that its OUR cult series....I'm still gonna watch it though. :D

RearWords said:
BaronBoy said:
Yeah but some classics beg to be updated and served so that a younger audience can enjoy. Where would we be if Russell T. Davies hadn't brought back Dr Who from the dead. :roll:

The problem is that they invariably fail. Off the top of my head the only remake that comes close to or betters the original is "The Manchurian Candidate".

As for your point about Dr Who, the answer is, better off. Have a good New Year, cheers. :)

BaronBoy said:
The problem is that they invariably fail. Off the top of my head the only remake that comes close to or betters the original is "The Manchurian Candidate".
The new Battlestar Galatica was another excellent remake and far better than the original.

I haven't seen the new Sherlock Holmes movie yet but that looks to have potential. Holmes has been redone many times both on the silver screen and TV. Some good, some bad.

CAUTION - SPOILER

John Preston was unimpressed by the first episode of the American remake of The Prisoner (ITV1):

The Prisoner, ITV1, review

Daily Telegraph 16 Apr 2010 said:
During the first few minutes of The Prisoner (last night, ITV1), one question is likely to have been playing on viewers’ minds: has Jim Caviezel, who plays the lead part, had what we doctors call a Partial Charisma Bypass? Soon, however, they will have had their answer: no, he’s gone for the complete excision.

Yet Caviezel’s performance is by no means the only thing wrong here. You could, for instance, point at the Entire Concept. The Prisoner is one of those supposedly ‘iconic TV shows’ that is fondly remembered by people who never saw it. Those people who did see it are likely to have been rather less entranced. Even as a small child, I can remember being maddened by the meandering pretentiousness of it all, while my father closed the sliding doors of our television set – it was built like a cocktail cabinet – with rather more finality than usual afterwards and declared the evening’s viewing to be at an end.

If you were charitably minded, or recently arrived from Planet Wibble, you might have found the original’s mixture of totalitarianism and surrealism to be gleamingly original – Brave New World crossed with The Avengers. These days, though, it’s merely wearisome – especially with no Patrick McGoohan (the original star) and no Portmeirion (the location) to pep things up. Instead, the makers of this version chose to shoot it in the Namibian desert where Number Six (Caviezel) wakes up one day with no memory how he got there. In the nearby Village, the inhabitants drift about in a somnambulant haze and refer to one another as numbers. Number Six spent most of the first episode asking – not unreasonably – ‘What the hell is going on?’, and periodically bumping into Number Two (Ian McKellen), the cream-suited baddie who runs the place.

If you are going to have a number rather than a name, then Number Two is a particularly unfortunate one to have, with all kinds of scope for terrible misunderstandings: ‘Number Two’s a bit off-colour today’, and so on. In the absence of any characterisation or narrative thrust, Bill Gallagher’s script relied on frantic flashbacks, flashforwards and even flashsideways – there seemed to be a suggestion that Number Six might have dropped in from a Parallel Universe. All to little avail, though: the soup remained resolutely unstirrable.

PsyWar.Org said:
The new Battlestar Galatica was another excellent remake and far better than the original
Agree with you there an excelent remake.

Watched the original V back in the 1980s and thought I'd give the new version a try , managed all of 5 minutes before I gave up .Load of dung!

As for remaking The Prisoner, I never really watched the original but I doubt this version will be any better.

I'm watching it right now but I have a problem trying to get in to it . I doubt if I'll be watching the next episode unless a giant white baloon turns up

Spanny said:
I'm watching it right now but I have a problem trying to get in to it . I doubt if I'll be watching the next episode unless a giant white baloon turns up
Yep it did! So did the immortal lines "I am not a number, I am a free man". Please dig Patrick McGoohan up, he'd make a better job of it even though he's dead. Ok so this cult series was never going to translate as well into present time. Love the Morris Minor and those chalets look like accommodation I stayed at in the caribbean, but it's not Portmeirion. So far it's not flowing and the basis of the story is not forthcoming yet, we need background info.