Re-make Of "The Prisoner" Pending

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, May 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sky One is producing a "big budget" remake of the 1960s drama The Prisoner to star Christopher Eccleston in the lead role.

"I Am Not A Number I Am A Free Man" by Steve Watson.
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/may2006/040506new_prisoner.htm

In the original series, Patrick McGoohan played a British intelligence agent who was kidnapped after his acrimonious resignation.

He found himself in "The Village," an island prison camp artfully disguised as a vacation resort. The other inmates were persons like himself whose liberty was adjudged inconvenient because they "knew too much."

The camp occupants were kept under control mostly by means of ubiquitous electronic surveillance, constant propaganda, and, occasionally, when these weren't fully effective, violence and mind-bending drugs. The warders attempted to replace rational thought and discourse with idiotic slogans.

Obviously "The Village" and The Prisoner have nothing to do with contemporary society where such things simply do not happen.

2. Why do they always have to try and out do a classic? The original series got it 100% right. The right mix of quaintness, abserdity and mystery. Any re-make will hav the tird bit missing at the very least and probably not get the other two right either. What a waste of time and money.

3. Well, it may do something for the hat trade in Luton.

I wonder where they're going to get the Mini Mokes from, though. And I can't see computer-animated bubble being as good as the real thing (How did they do that, anyway?).

In keeping with political correctness, I suppose No1 will be recruited from an ethnic minority.

4. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOthey can't have "The Prisoner" without Patrick McGoohan - it is just plain wrong

5. SACRILIGE! BL00DY HERETICS!!!!!