RE LCpl -Cpl Board 2006

26 really suffered, I think about 7 guys from 3 sqns. It seems strange given that 1/2 of the reporting period they were in Iraq and boards put a lot of weight on operational experiance. I'm amazed that one of my mates didn't get selected, one of the best L/Cpls I know, puts most Cpls to shame. What a fcuking lottery!

39 had 15 I think it was across the four Squadrons.
My next door neighbour didnt pick up. He's gutted. Definately works at a level above his rank too. :(

I do know a few people who left 26 distinctly unhappy with their CR i.e personality clashes and other disagreements lead to a carp CR. It is a bit pants that less than 200 words read by 6 people who probably don't know you decided whether you should be promoted or not. I love the classic line "I'm going to give you .... grade so that you can have a better gade and be seen to be improving next year". What a cop out! There should be more emphasis on the YOs, OCs and COs course on how to write CRs that will get the people they want promoted selected.
What gets me is how the board select people. I know a guy who got selected for Cpl on last years board despite having not done an operational tour and had spent most of his career (5 years) and the last 2 reporting periods in the SQMS! It does rub in the belief that promotion is a bit of a lottery.

we all know that it is a pile of sh1te when it comes to promotion nowadays

A_Knocker_Till_The_End said:
we all know that it is a pile of sh1te when it comes to promotion nowadays
Wasn't it always.

Can anyone think of a better way to do it, this as always been a bone of contention hasn't it. If you have a personality clash with one of your seniors then you are b0ll0x'd.

When I did my SNCO's course the records bloke said I had had 2 dips in the promotion stakes. Both times were when a certain SSGT\QMSI was my boss, he didn't like me as I was a Rommel.

was it a big board this year????

humphries said:
Can someone briefly explain how promotion works? i am joining up on 25th sept and just wondered how promotion works. cheers
just like camelot..............................its a lottery 8) 8) 8) 8)

For selection to LCpl you go on a JNCO cadre. You have to be a class two tradesman and class two combat engineer. You are selected by your Sqn to attend the course so it depeneds when they think you are ready for promotion as to when you go on your cadre. Normally it takes between 3 and 5 years at your unit. If you come in the top 3 you get promoted at the end of the course, failing that you get selected for promotion at Glasgow by manning and records. If you can't do a cadre (say if you are medically downgraded) or for other reasons you can get selected by the CO for promotion.
For Cpl you have to be a class one tradesman and a class one combat engineer if you are combat streamed or class two if not. You have to be a LCpl for 2 years before you are elegible for promotion.
For Sgt you have to be a qualified section commander and have been a Cpl for 2 years.
For SSgt you have be fully qualified as a Sgt and have been an Sgt for 2 years.
For WO2 you have to have been a SSgt for 2 years.
For WO1 you have to have been a WO2 for 2 years.

plant_life said:
For selection to LCpl you go on a JNCO cadre. You have to be a class two tradesman and class two combat engineer. You are selected by your Sqn to attend the course so it depeneds when they think you are ready for promotion as to when you go on your cadre. Normally it takes between 3 and 5 years at your unit. If you come in the top 3 you get promoted at the end of the course, failing that you get selected for promotion at Glasgow by manning and records. If you can't do a cadre (say if you are medically downgraded) or for other reasons you can get selected by the CO for promotion.
For Cpl you have to be a class one tradesman and a class one combat engineer if you are combat streamed or class two if not. You have to be a LCpl for 2 years before you are elegible for promotion.
For Sgt you have to be a qualified section commander and have been a Cpl for 2 years.
For SSgt you have be fully qualified as a Sgt and have been an Sgt for 2 years.
For WO2 you have to have been a SSgt for 2 years.
For WO1 you have to have been a WO2 for 2 years.
well that has absolutely no reflection of my career thus far :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

It sucks for non combat streamed trades. The pyramid for planties is pants, loads of LSNs for sappers and LCpls but then at full screw maybe 2 slots a sqn if that. Then 1 plant sgt per HQ sqn and a plant SSgt per field, armoured and field support sqn. What with PPP coming in soon ,we, as a trade will be losing about 40 full screw slots, 6 sgt slots and however many WO2 and WO1 slots in P, R and A branch the pyramid gets even more narrow. You get rail roaded into SQMS, RQMS and RQMS (T) slots because there aren't the trade slots out there. I wouldn't trust knockers with accounting and equipment management anyway!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
QinetiQ Royal Signals 12
plant_life Sappers 2
grab_a_spoon! Royal Signals 4