Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re joining

I'm thinking of joining the reserves and was wondering would I keep my old Army number even though I left 10 years ago?

Cheers.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
before I left we had a couple of rejoiners and those who'd major changes in service in some way, such as commissioning, joining regs from TA (as it wasn't the reserves then) - they all had new numbers as apparently the system couldn't cope

edited to add - pre "300 " numbers had to change, post 300 didn't

Last edited:
I'm thinking of joining the reserves and was wondering would I keep my old Army number even though I left 10 years ago?

Cheers.
I kept my old army number when I joined the TA after a break of 4 years after leaving regular service. I am pretty sure that is still the case.

auggie rock

Old-Salt
I had a break in reserve service of less than 4 years having previously taken my number through RAF reserve and Army Reserve and they gave me a new number, I had to redo Phase 1, and I could not retain my old rank - so don't get your hopes up.

morsk

LE

Cheers.
You are best off asking Crapita, rather than a bunch of never served civvys, men who did 3 years in the 70s and put their car keys in the fridge and butter in their pockets or regulars who just laugh and say "bless".

Was 252 the old of the last numbering system? Can't remember ever seeing 253...

You are best off asking Crapita, rather than a bunch of never served civvys, men who did 3 years in the 70s and put their car keys in the fridge and butter in their pockets or regulars who just laugh and say "bless".
Morsk, just out of interest, which of those categories best encapsulates your service?

Cromarty

Old-Salt
Completely irrelevant to the OP, but, when I joined the RAN a couple of the guys had short/strange numbers. Turned out they were dead mens numbers. No one could ever explain why the system assigned them. They were just random numbers from as far back as WW2.

To answer the OP - I kept my original number when I rejoined. The Pay Office wallahs pooh-poohed the notion to start with and tried to give me a 3000 JPA number on my first day back. Mercifully my look of horror was spotted across the office by a long-in-the-tooth Staff Clerk who put the inexperienced youngsters in the correct Rembrandt, et voila, I'm still a 51****.

On the subject of regimental numbers: I happened across a Gurkha the other day who was a 211*****. I expressed my surprise - largely because he was half my age (and I was a 246***** whilst in training) - at his 'old sweat's' number. Every day's a school day, it turns out that pretty much all of them are 211s!

Latest Threads