Re-Joining & Tattoos

Hi all, I completed phase 1 training for the infantry ( 2 royal Anglian ) then regrettably used a DAOR. I was young and an idiot for leaving and I still regret it to this day. That was 4 years ago, I'm now 22 have a family, steady job but feel like there's something missing!

I would love to rejoin, perhaps not infantry and more of a technical role or RMP. Problem is I have a tattoo on my neck and I'm getting mixed messages. I have been to my local TA Unit and was told that my tattoo wouldn't be a problem for the TA Infantry but it would be for TA medic, found that slightly strange as why would 1 profession take you but another wouldn't? I went to my local careers office and a recruiting sergeant told me my tattoo wasn't offensive but the location of it stopped me from getting into anything to do with the army be it TA or regulars, this was due to it being visible when uniform was on.

Again I don't understand, I've seen plenty of soldiers with tattoos on Their necks and why does having a non offensive tattoo in a visible place make it not possible to apply? Can anyone shed any light at all? I'll attach a picture of my tattoo if that makes any difference.

y

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz60/adamsiddle91/Mobile Uploads/image_zps8e7b8584.jpg

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
The ruling is the same for all trades and Regular and TA. The best thing you can do is have a photo taken in a shirt like the current uniform on so that a decision can be made. If it is mostly obscured you may be fine.

People have been allowed in with tattoos on their necks but it is depends on what and how much is visible.

Tattoos that are visible when wearing uniform with sleeves down can be a bar. Even serving soldiers can be discharged if their tattoos are deemed to be offensive or of a nature that is in line with current regulations. Realistically you will not know until you apply and complete the tattoo proforma. Your tattoo will then be assessed and a decision made.

Thank you for replying, would that be similar to your no 2s is that what you'd suggest?

The last time I went into my careers office he instantly said no we can't help you so if that's to happen again is there anything I can say so they will at least look at my application and assess my tattoo?

alternatively I can just get rid of the tattoo and save any complications. Laser isn't very effective and it's time consuming the only realistic thing I can think of is removal by a dermatologic surgeon via scalpel. I'm assuming scarring shouldn't be a problem? This may be expensive but at least it's 100% I guess. Thank you

Roussillon

Old-Salt
When I contacted a TA unit about joining (by phone) the very first things I was asked were a) have I been to prison, b) am I a member of any extremist groups and c) do I have any tattoos on my neck. That was before anything about my qualifications or past military experience. Best get the basics out of the way first I suppose!

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you for replying, would that be similar to your no 2s is that what you'd suggest?

The last time I went into my careers office he instantly said no we can't help you so if that's to happen again is there anything I can say so they will at least look at my application and assess my tattoo?

alternatively I can just get rid of the tattoo and save any complications. Laser isn't very effective and it's time consuming the only realistic thing I can think of is removal by a dermatologic surgeon via scalpel. I'm assuming scarring shouldn't be a problem? This may be expensive but at least it's 100% I guess. Thank you
The careers office go by the guidelines in RGI's but they do not make the decision, it has to be passed up the chain. Remember that under the current system you only have to go into the office for your interview, every thing else is online. By the time you get to interview you should have already been sent the tattoo proforma by the NRC and should have an answer. If they have accepted the tattoo then the interviewer is out of the loop.

Why did you have your initials tattooed on your neck and back ?

The ruling is the same for all trades and Regular and TA. The best thing you can do is have a photo taken in a shirt like the current uniform on so that a decision can be made. If it is mostly obscured you may be fine.

People have been allowed in with tattoos on their necks but it is depends on what and how much is visible.

Tattoos that are visible when wearing uniform with sleeves down can be a bar. Even serving soldiers can be discharged if their tattoos are deemed to be offensive or of a nature that is in line with current regulations. Realistically you will not know until you apply and complete the tattoo proforma. Your tattoo will then be assessed and a decision made.
"Cut here" tats used to be de riguer.

That's interesting to know I didn't know it's all online. I'll have a look at doing it online then at least it saves me taking Time off work to go in for them to say no. Is it just a case of registering interest online then going from there? I have all my discharge papers etc I was told something along the lines of recommended for re applying after a certain time limit ( I think a couple of years )

glasshammer

Old-Salt
Have you thought about laser? i ve had it done on my upper arm, it hurts but its worth it if you want to get in, i used skin clinics. think seriously about rejoining tho mate as you did DAOR and its nothing like TA, its a lifestyle too and nothing like playing call of duty in your bedroom with central heating blaring out whilst your mum shouts your dinner is ready. innit blud basically at the end of the day basically blud innit

glasshammer

Old-Salt
Make sure you do your homework about laser, skin clinic has the dogs bollocks laser, tattoo shops have cheap ones that only target certain colour and they dont even have to be trained on them. Skin clinic charged me 200 a session the colour red is hardest to get rid of but by the time i had 3 sessions it was almost gone and no scars at all as the colour pigment breaks down and is absorbed into the body for disposal.

D

Deleted 60082

I think it is commendable that you are thinking of rejoining and have thought heavily about your tattoos. Even if you don't join (or are unsucessful for any reason) I think you should consider removing these marks - the fact is that people - employers - will judge you because of them. I left 18 months ago (thankfully without any tatts) but I was recently and periperhally involved in the recruitment of an ex Army lad. His arms were covered in tatts and they were visible when wearing a long-sleeve shirt; he also had a polynesian neck tattoo (wtf?). As it was, he was not the best qualified candidate for the job (I was asked to comment on his experience and quals) but it is clear that the team who interviewed him were put off by the tatts, given that he would be expected to wear a suit and travel widely on company business, and that his image would send 'mixed messages' - as the HR staffer said.

Have you thought about laser? i ve had it done on my upper arm, it hurts but its worth it if you want to get in, i used skin clinics. think seriously about rejoining tho mate as you did DAOR and its nothing like TA, its a lifestyle too and nothing like playing call of duty in your bedroom with central heating blaring out whilst your mum shouts your dinner is ready. innit blud basically at the end of the day basically blud innit

I have but I wasn't aware skin clinics used a better laser so that's something I'll look into it. I looked at tattooists laser removal but like you said they aren't qualified I think it's a days course they do and the process is very long. I'm aware that it's nothing like call of duty id be naive to think that I just feel like there's something missing and I'm always aspiring to be more and any job I do at the minute doesn't feel right. To me your job is kind of a status in life to and I want to feel that pride again.

again a silly adolescent mistake, made quite a few if I'm honest.
You are taking this on the chin quite well so I won't repeat what you already know... Get the tattoo off and try and rejoin. You seem to have your head screwed on now so good luck.

I would be reluctant to take anyone on in civvy st with a neck tattoo. I think it demonstrates the wearer wasn't thinking ahead... (Excepting careers in a tattoo parlour or death row inmate).

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thanks for all the replys means a lot. I started my application online and was asked to provide photos of my neck tattoo. I sent them through and they said regrettably too much of the tattoo is on show above the collar so my application cannot be taken any further.

So it's down to getting it removed! I've emailed my local private hospital and they don't offer any procedures but recommended the BMI in Lincoln and the spire in hull so I've emailed them to find out what is available to me and I'll go from there. I'll keep this updated!

Latest Threads