• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Re joining at 37?

I'm a fossil in army terms now :oops: and out of touch, but a mate who's aged 37, 14 years served and out 5 years is considering rejoining if he can.
So, is he knackered or is he still under the 'bar'?

BTW He's a plod now. :roll:

FABLONBIFFCHIT said:
Why doesnt he try the TA. As good as Regulars in all but name. Then if he still has a hankering he may be able to go to the regs again.
I think he wants all or nothing. So what is the oldest a bloke can be to rejion? To re phrase the question.

Adam(KOS) said:
FABLONBIFFCHIT said:
Why doesnt he try the TA. As good as Regulars in all but name. Then if he still has a hankering he may be able to go to the regs again.
I think he wants all or nothing. So what is the oldest a bloke can be to rejion? To re phrase the question.
According to the armyjobs website it states for a tom:

Regs: 33
TA: 43

Though if your mate contacted the ACIO they might be able to help further

delinquent said:
Adam(KOS) said:
FABLONBIFFCHIT said:
According to the armyjobs website it states for a tom:

Regs: 33
TA: 43

Though if your mate contacted the ACIO they might be able to help further
That's that then! :( Thanks for the advice lads. :wink:

If your joining at 33 thats the age limit with no previous military experiance, you can rejoin over that age with previous military experiance. The easiest way to do it is join a unit recruiting FTRS then change your engagement once you are there or go to the ACIO and request a rejoin there but there is no age limit.(Within reason, but under 40 is more than okay)

Only 37? whats the problem. (the following is taken from http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=46176/postdays=0/postorder=desc/start=20.html ) He got out as a Corporal of Horse (Sgt) rejoined as a Lance Corporal of Horse (Cpl) and is now a Staff Corporal (SSgt).

whit_RE said:
fredflinstone said:
this is a personal account from SCPL Mick Flynn CGC, MC. who has just returned from Helmand province. I was in his troop on telic the loon! this story scares the hell out of me let alone civies!Corporal of Horse Mick Flynn, 46, from Cardiff, 18 years service, interrupted by an eight-year gap

"We had to go forward and provide an overwatch on the district centre at Musa Qaleh so that the Danish could come out of their camp. I was in the lead vehicle and the vehicle directly behind me got blown up. I had driven over the IED, they let me past and blew up the vehicle behind me. I was then trapped and they fired numerous rockets at us. Three RPGs [rocket-propelled grenades] hit us and one went over the top. We took out the machinegun posts to the front of us and killed them. The Taliban's main killing group was probably about 10 metres away. There was about 20 or 30 of them. I made a decision to go on through the ambush and I looked behind and saw that there was a lot of smoke coming from the vehicle behind. We turned round and went through the ambush firing phosphorous grenades at them. The bar armour which protected the vehicle had been hit so we had to dismount. The Taliban were coming down the lane towards us. We killed three of them, but the rest kept firing. We had to fight our way along then jump in a ditch.

"I checked the vehicle behind me. Inside I could see one body. The one outside was blown up and was just a mass of meat. It was just another dead body. Without trying to sound callous, I don't have any feelings. I think I have become immune to it. You can't, they are finished, that's it. I just accept that they are dead. Obviously it went through my brain, but my main issue was to get the other two guys out of there alive. My driver was having problems and I said we have to move otherwise they are going to kill us.

"Radders [Lance Corporal of Horse Andrew Radford] came and said there was a body on top of the hill. I said 'why don't you shoot it?' and he said 'no, it's one of ours'. We made our way to the body. I could see it was one of the lads. I thought he was dead, but as I moved his leg, which was jutting out at an angle, he screamed. When I first looked at him he had fish eyes and I thought he was dead. I threw him on to Radders' shoulders and we shot our way back. He was really badly burnt, he had 80% burns. There was a lot of other Taliban coming down to cut us off. We had left two vehicles on the overwatch 1/2 mile away and they engaged the Taliban.

"I could only account for three bodies. I couldn't see the other body. I talked to the Paras and they sent a company to give us support and to get the bodies out. Because I knew where the positions of the bodies were I was asked if I could lead the Paras back in. We still had one body unaccounted for. You have to go back for him. You can't just leave somebody there. There was no question about us not going back. The Paras then formed up and brought in lots of fire and artillery. We pushed forward and cleared their positions with grenades. This is our job. It is what we do for a living."

www.guardian.co.uk/afg...25,00.html
:omfg: Apart from being the most highly decorated squaddie in the army, this guy is NAILS

Thanks again Gents. I'll pass it on. :D
If there was more knoweledge of this perhaps some of the older farts might re join. I certainly would, older and wiser, I wouldn't make such a dick of myself next time round ( Shite at man management then ) :roll: Unfit and 48 has has it's limits though :(

Latest Threads