Re-enlistment after medical discharge

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by barryweir, Jun 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, brand new to the forum.

A friend of mine was medically discharged from the regs with a blood disorder. They received a medical and war pension based on length of service and a having completed a tour of duty. They were classed as 30% disabled.

6 years later and the blood disorder has gone.

They would like to join the local TA unit.

They spoke to a recruitment officer who explained that if their doctor classed them as fit, with no disability they could re-enlist; but their query is this;

If they re-enlist, do they lose their war and medical pension?

All help would be appreciated.

2. If you are fit enough to join up (whether TA or Regular) then why should you get a War/medical Pension or Disability? They're for folk who are broken.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Eh?! I'm no doctor, but do blood disorders just "go" ?
    "She turned me into a newt!!!!........I got better though....."

Serious hat back on.
    War Disablement Pension : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

I would assume that would extend to Re-Joiners/TA too. But I'm still not convinced that if someone was Medically Discharged for a blood disorder they would ever be able to rejoin.
  4. Your 'friend' will not be allowed to rejoin - if they were medically discharged, then they are P8 i.e. permanently unfit for military service. I am P7 and the only reason that this is the case is because I am still serving. If I were attempting to join/re-join, I too would be an automatic P8.