Re-enlisting? Should I come to the AAC?

#1
Hey folks. First post so hi to all. I left the infantry in 2003 as a lance jack and I've always had an intrest in aviation and I'm considering re-enlisting not back into the infantry but into the AAC.

Now I dont know anyone in the AAC except a friend who is doing his pilot training but he dont know much cos his had his head in the books and the clouds so was hoping to find out as much as I can from you REAL people instead of being pumped of waffle down at my local AFCO.

Thanks :wink:
 
#2
Lo mate! welcome aboard.
don't quote me on it but I think at first, straight off, you'd go into a groundcrew position. refueling, rearming type stuff.
I'm thinking of going air corps myself. where are you based?
 
#3
Why don’t you arrange a visit first! Not just one day thou and talk to the groundies and the aircrew. If your good at the job you’ll do well and promotion can be quick, plus like the rest of the army there is a retention problem aswell so have a look and make your mind up yourself. But there are no guarantees that you will become a pilot if that’s what you want!

Good luck…………
 
#4
On a more serious note Frost-y the required scoring for the AAC is higher than that for the Infantry so it might be worth asking if you qualify first and then look into visiting Wattisham or Dishforth.
 
#5
Well I'm based in Durham so a visit to Dishforth wouldn't be a bad idea. as for your reply Muttley, I know what you mean but according to an oline chat with a recruiter I do qualify based on my past and qualifications (got CAT C & C+E).

I now know if would start as a ground crewman but tbh it's gotta be alot more intresting than the infantry.
 
#6
How old are you Frosty as there are limits for going Aircrew? As for joining as groundcrew its probably a lot safer than the Infantry going on current deployments and I am living proof that Groundies can make it as Aircrew.

Good luck to you.

If you need any phone numbers for Disthforth drop me a pm?
 
#7
Muttley said:
How old are you Frosty as there are limits for going Aircrew? As for joining as groundcrew its probably a lot safer than the Infantry going on current deployments and I am living proof that Groundies can make it as Aircrew.

Good luck to you.

If you need any phone numbers for Disthforth drop me a pm?
I'm 29 and I fully agree with that the AAC is the best option. Friends on deployment in Iraq and Afgan no longer what to be a painted taget even though I do miss operations but I would still like to be alive.

Another friend who joined the same time as me and served in the same Regt is currently doing his pilots course at MW and has told me that it's a totally different experience from the infantry and lot more proffesional.

Gonna wait untill xmas is over and done with before I make a real move on this.

Are you still serving Muttley? If so where are you now?
 
#8
does anyone know if there are gonna be any open days coming up soon with AAC? particularly my neck of the woods, netheravon, salisbury way?
 
#9
I'm 29 and I fully agree with that the AAC is the best option[/qoute]

I hate to burst your bubble Frosty, but 29 is probably way too late to consider the aircrew route. If it isn't too late, it will be if you prevaricate and don't apply NOW fir aircrew, if that's what you want to do. Not now, right NOW!

If groundcrew is what you want to do, then you really need to talk to the groundies to find out what it's really like. IME the grass is rarely greener on the other side.

Good luck whichever route you take.
 
#10
Frosty, I am still serving and am resently at wattisham Airfield near Ipswich. I agree with Sam that time is really against you and Groundcrew is probably your only option as you would be pushed to make the pilots course by 32. You should expres your interest in application at the earliest opportunity though and who knows.

Whatever you choose, drop me a pm if you wish to visit an AAC unit.
 
#11
Frost-y said:
Another friend who joined the same time as me and served in the same Regt is currently doing his pilots course at MW and has told me that it's a totally different experience from the infantry and lot more professional.

Which Middle Wallop is he at???????????? 8O :roll:

Can't be the one I know and love!!!!
 
#12
The Lord Flasheart said:
Frost-y said:
Another friend who joined the same time as me and served in the same Regt is currently doing his pilots course at MW and has told me that it's a totally different experience from the infantry and lot more professional.

Which Middle Wallop is he at???????????? 8O :roll:

Can't be the one I know and love!!!!
Hampshire.
 
#13
Muttley said:
Frosty, I am still serving and am resently at wattisham Airfield near Ipswich. I agree with Sam that time is really against you and Groundcrew is probably your only option as you would be pushed to make the pilots course by 32. You should expres your interest in application at the earliest opportunity though and who knows.

Whatever you choose, drop me a pm if you wish to visit an AAC unit.
Well if I'm too late that's my fault for not transfering whilst I was still in the Army however to go on to do groundcrew and become good at that and work on AH groundcrew would make me happy enough.

Still have to see if I'm eligable to re-enlist and also if the AAC would take me but also because I'm now married, would the Army give me a pad (have my own house now) and where could I go?

Alot of things to get through first.

Thanks for the invite Muttley. I know where you are based because I'm from down that way, used to live right next to RAF Mildenhall. Going down to Bury st Edmunds for new years eve with the boys so it will be good to be back in the region.
 
#14
Frosty you will be as entitled to a MQ as everyone else although a lot of people here live out. As for postings it will probably be here if your AH, Dishforth and then Benson if Lynx with a possibility of posts in Belize, Brunei, Germany, NI, and Batus.

Op tours are currently in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Good luck and Happy Christmas
 
#15
Frost-y said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Frost-y said:
Another friend who joined the same time as me and served in the same Regt is currently doing his pilots course at MW and has told me that it's a totally different experience from the infantry and lot more professional.

Which Middle Wallop is he at???????????? 8O :roll:

Can't be the one I know and love!!!!
Hampshire.
Its a lot more professional now that youve left :)
 
#16
Muttley said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Which Middle Wallop is he at???????????? 8O :roll:

Can't be the one I know and love!!!!
Its a lot more professional now that youve left :)

I bloody well hope so too!

Hampshire you say, Frost-y? Well I never...

Seriously, I have heard of individual cases where a chap can start a pilots course slightly later than the norm. It's a case of what you have to offer and if the Corps is willing to nudge the goal post a bit. Even if going aircrew isn't an option, the groundcrew side of life is an interesting place with lots of challenges and plenty of opportunity to progress. I'm ex grunt myself and it was the best decision I made....not too sure the Corps agrees though...... :roll:
 
#17
The Lord Flasheart said:
Muttley said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Which Middle Wallop is he at???????????? 8O :roll:

Can't be the one I know and love!!!!
Its a lot more professional now that youve left :)

I bloody well hope so too!

Hampshire you say, Frost-y? Well I never...

Seriously, I have heard of individual cases where a chap can start a pilots course slightly later than the norm. It's a case of what you have to offer and if the Corps is willing to nudge the goal post a bit. Even if going aircrew isn't an option, the groundcrew side of life is an interesting place with lots of challenges and plenty of opportunity to progress. I'm ex grunt myself and it was the best decision I made....not too sure the Corps agrees though...... :roll:
lol. It's not been my dream to fly but to do the course and gain the skills to become a qualified pilot would be something that I would love to do and would be damm good at it too, however the role of the ground crew does excite me alot with what the have to do and the challenges they face in that role.

The one thing that I want to do know is see what they do and how they feel about their job and also speak to someone and ask "will you take an ex inf jnr NCO"?

Have sent emails to Widdle Wallop asking all question but no response but getting alot here is helping.
 

Ralf

War Hero
#18
Frost-y said:
The Lord Flasheart said:
Frost-y said:
Another friend who joined the same time as me and served in the same Regt is currently doing his pilots course at MW and has told me that it's a totally different experience from the infantry and lot more professional.

Which Middle Wallop is he at???????????? 8O :roll:

Can't be the one I know and love!!!!
Hampshire.
:D :roll: Like it.
 
#19
Hi to all,
Like Frosty I left the Infantry 18 months ago to pursue a career in the private security industry in Iraq. I have been passionate for everything flying since I was 11, and started flying sailplanes not long after. I have also flown paramotors dabbled in conventional three axis aircraft and currently have an NPPL (M) for flex wing microlights, and have a half share in one.
I now regret massively not giving aircrew selection a bash and have now given up my job in Iraq so I can give it a try. I am almost 27 years old and would welcome any advice from the rotary pilots on this forum, on what to expect on Aptitude and any tips or advice on what to study for. I intend to re-enlist back into the Infantry because I left as a corporal and will retain my rank when I rejoin giving me the base level of rank too apply. I would like to ask does having flying experience have any advantages or would more be expected of someone with previous flying time. Like Frosty an open day would be beneficial. I am based in Oban Scotland and fly out off the local strip in Connel where I see the AAC flights in a regular basis. Now I have decided to rejoin the military maybe I could trade one of the pilots a back seat jolly in my microlight for some bespoke advice.
Regards Kevin Maccuish
 
#20
Kevin, this is free and doesnt cost you a go in your microlight.

Flying experience in my view is of little consequence during the selection though it does come in handy during the Pilots course.

A large part of the selection is "grading" which is 13 hours tuition on a fixed wing with each hour being given a grade on your performance. They are looking for a increase in score as you progress. Those that had flying hours on my grading struggled to show much improvement from the first lesson to the last whereas I had a ginormous change of grades as I started so badly yet improved well.

As for application, its a tough one, a chap I know whom left and did exactly what you plan to do suceeded and went onto pass and gain a commission and is well respected throughout the Corps. However I also know a fair few whom have fallen by the wayside.

If its in your heart then what have you to lose by trying, at least that way you will be content that you gave it a shot.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top