Re - enlisting/Rejoining - Advice and chat in here.

I rejoined over 3 years ago and I'm leaving again shortly. Wouldn't recommend anyone to rejoin the way the Army is now but each to their own!
Heard that from a few of the lads that joined back up. They left when we were in Germany and got back in 2-3 years later and all bailed as soon as they could. They said its a totally different beast now.

oppoStu

War Hero
I rejoined over 3 years ago and I'm leaving again shortly. Wouldn't recommend anyone to rejoin the way the Army is now but each to their own!
Heard that from a few of the lads that joined back up. They left when we were in Germany and got back in 2-3 years later and all bailed as soon as they could. They said its a totally different beast now.
Any specific significant issues either of you have had or heard about that you are willing to share?

Didn't realise the army had changed that much, apart from lowering the barriers of entry...

not_observed

Old-Salt
Any specific significant issues either of you have had or heard about that you are willing to share?

Didn't realise the army had changed that much, apart from lowering the barriers of entry...
It's not just one reason there are so many to list.

Bit of a cliche but cuts is one of the biggest reasons and also NEM and a specific qualification pay that now does not exist. I could literally go on and on and rant but I won't.

oppoStu

War Hero
It's not just one reason there are so many to list.

Bit of a cliche but cuts is one of the biggest reasons and also NEM and a specific qualification pay that now does not exist. I could literally go on and on and rant but I won't.
Put simply, money... both funding and pay. Fair enough.

What's the management like? Has that also taken a regressive turn due to the lack of funding etc and a lower morale?

not_observed

Old-Salt
Put simply, money... both funding and pay. Fair enough.

What's the management like? Has that also taken a regressive turn due to the lack of funding etc and a lower morale?
With regards to management it will be different for all Units, Sub-Units etc etc. Mine personally are good but I feel they are being constantly squeezed and squeezed to supply people for additional tastings by Brigade who don't really understand how busy units are already with training commitments, vehicle maintenance, day to day admin, TEMPERER the list goes on and on.

I recently attended the Stick or Twist meeting with Mark Francois and made it quite clear about the fact that it was the Conservatives who decided to call an investigation into why retention is so poor in the Army when it was their own Party who initiated a lot of the cuts and subsequent BS that flies around. (I'm no Corbyn fan by the way either)

As not_observed says. Also the social aspect, the drinking culture which made guys bond has nearly vanished. Everyone locks themselves away in their rooms at the end of the day and then shoot off home at the weekend. Budget is near none existent so a lot of the exercises are tosh and you're not getting abroad as much. armoured regiments used to have tank parks full of vehicles and all the guys were good at doing maintenance and getting experience on the vehicles. now the regiment is lucky to have a few wagons to share between them.

The list is long but if you are just joining then you won't really know what it used to be like so you won't compare it. I am sure you will still enjoy your time. For hundreds of years old sweats have said "not like it was in my day" and this is what those guys have done.

Was wondering if anyone could help. I’m rejoining.. waiting on my joining date as we speak, I’m going to catterick to do my phase 2, however at the end of October I have got 4 days away with my younger brother thanks to make a wish foundation. Being at ITC during phase 2, will they let me have leave or will that not be possible as phase 1 and 2 is just the one course?

i applied on wednesday morning and my prior service check is already complete, booked in for my re-joiners interview too! never remember them being this quick

JBR

Crow
Evening, rejoining into the reserves within the 6 year window and I have a question regarding RGMD and PSMA.

My RGMD went through capita/med without a hitch despite there definately being stuff on there from my previous service that should have raised eyebrows.

To that end, can anyone detail the PSMA medical for rejoiners a bit more in depth please. Was it just a piss/eyes/ears affair and a few movements for the doc, or does he sit and dig through your previous med history?

Evening, rejoining into the reserves within the 6 year window and I have a question regarding RGMD and PSMA.

My RGMD went through capita/med without a hitch despite there definately being stuff on there from my previous service that should have raised eyebrows.

To that end, can anyone detail the PSMA medical for rejoiners a bit more in depth please. Was it just a piss/eyes/ears affair and a few movements for the doc, or does he sit and dig through your previous med history?
im in the exact same situation, let me know if you get any answers mate

Latest Threads