re enlister thinkin about the T.A (welsh units)

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by jstratton, Mar 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right I left when I was 18 I just did a few weeks in basic, back then I didnt know what I wanted to do in life, im 24 now and more mature and wise.

With the T.A im thinking either the 3rd bt royal welsh or R E which my local unit I believe is the 100 Field Squadron, Royal Monmouthshire Royal Engineers (Militia).
    I'd like to know a lot more about these units my questions will follow.

Right now I work full time and come september im going to college doing an heating and ventilation course, I want more out of life I'm torn between going R E and gaining trades or go infantry which my mind is swinging, I want to do an herrick tour.

If I went R E were would I do my basic training?

If I joined the 3rd would I pick what company I went to and what would be on offer to me (course wise) becouse basically I want to get my head down and progress, assault pioneer platoon, A company appeals to me, I want to go on tour as soon as i possibly could.

I'm thinking R E being smart becouse I have a mrs with a kid and i heard engineers get to do a lot of soldiering aswell and I want to get some decent trades, could anyone fill me in what the engineers (part time) are like?

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

depends on which location you can get too

3. One more question I forgot to mention, how much do you get a month?

4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

5. Depends on how many days you do in a month, i.e. recuit training weekends and drill nights you attend.

Stilts

6. well lets say your average two weekends a months and four drill nights?

7. clearly if you cant hack the reg's what makes you think you can cope with TA?
    I dont think you would fit in with any regt let alone 1 as superior as the ROYAL ENGINEERS! But you never know and we might actually meet up 1 day if you are ever privilaged to be granted a place in the best corp in the british army !
    R.E.
    see you soon maybe!

8. Normally I would say either ones are good Regts but seeing as a good mate of mine recently slagged off the 3 Bn (at length and with impressive detail after 2 tours) for having officers "who are cnuts to a man" perhaps you should place more weighting on the Engrs (who appear to deploy quite a few to Herrick).