Re-enactors

Visited Eden camp near York with the sprogs the other day. Very good it is too. The only thing that really gripped my poo was a group of WW2 Luftwaffe, including Fallschrimjaeger, re-enactors. All they were doing was standing there, not demonstrating anything much, let alone a good turn out.

Not sure which group they were but they were bloody terrible. Mostly grossly fat, and we're not talking a bit overweight, one must have had at least a 60 inch waist! All had long hair, one had modern glasses which complemented his mobile phone and to crown it all none of them were wearing anything like the correct boots. In fact some had BCH on! I was disgusted, it made a mockery of the memory of the men they were portraying.

Anyone else noticed re-enactment groups like this?

In defence of re-enactors there is a group near York based at the farming museum who dress up as Vikings to entertain school trips. their gear is spot on most of it hand made and copied from archeological records/finds and they keep the kids entertained. They speak a little old norse to make things authentic and show the kids around the village where they grow wheat and herbs and keep goats and chickens. They don't do any harm, don't pretend to be real vikings (In fact they even tell the kids that what they are doing is based on what historians/archeologists think and point out the areas where they have had to improvise) and most of them seem like good blokes.

I wasn't saying all re-enactors just the group who were there at the weekend.

I wouldn't call the Sealed Knot "Walts" either . certainly not in pikestaff swinging range.

Nutters one and all, seen a battle, I'm surprised no one was killed.

He could at least sort his webbing out and those boots look wrong .If you must do this get it right or dont bother .

archer said:
DMS I see.
And a 'shirt collar attached' when it should be collarless.

Sorry sorry sorry

Try this one for size - a chap I met at a show this summer. I did challenge him over various dodgy aspects of his kit, (ok - spotterdom established) but he ran out of answers.

Attachments

i agree, after all that is not a cane in his hand its a travelling coat hanger :lol:

(if you haven't seen "Raiders of the lost ark" then the joke is lost on you)

OK you've got me on the Stumbannfuhrers mistakes.
Any clues?
Nazi uniforms (In any great detail) aren't my field

I helped restore a few WW2 vehicles in the late 70's and
developed an eye for UK uniforms whilst displaying the finished items.

Why would anybody want to dress up in battledress of all things? What a really horrible thing it was! It was just about bearable on a chilly day but it was torture in warm weather.

General Melchett said:
Visited Eden camp near York with the sprogs the other day. Very good it is too. The only thing that really gripped my poo was a group of WW2 Luftwaffe, including Fallschrimjaeger, re-enactors. All they were doing was standing there, not demonstrating anything much, let alone a good turn out.

Not sure which group they were but they were bloody terrible. Mostly grossly fat, and we're not talking a bit overweight, one must have had at least a 60 inch waist! All had long hair, one had modern glasses which complemented his mobile phone and to crown it all none of them were wearing anything like the correct boots. In fact some had BCH on! I was disgusted, it made a mockery of the memory of the men they were portraying.

Anyone else noticed re-enactment groups like this?

I'm afraid these are at the more "harmless" end of the spectrum. I've been involved in the surplus military vehicle world since I left the army and this sort of thing is mushrooming. The (German) Re-enactors that I find most distasteful are the ones who insist on wearing SS uniforms and believe it or not I have heard of some ex-regular (and current TA) squaddies who are involved.

It's one thing being a fat, middle aged fool in Whermacht (or Luftwaffe) uniform but buying a post-war Czech built half-ftrack (even if it is based on a wartime German design), painting it in WWII colours and putting SS number plates on the thing just makes my blood boil.

I'm an ex-squaddie in my mid 40's and wouldnt dare even try on my old combats let alone try to look like one of Adolf's "elite". If they want to wear uniforms - go join up !!

Having manned restored vehicles myself - what's wrong with a pair of coveralls and boots - no uniform or attempt to look like a 6ft blonde Aryan !

Given the condition of most of them they'd be better off with a Volkssturm armband and old greatcoat !!

The UK uniform side started to grow with the preservation/restoration of
Military Vehicles back in the late 70's.
Coveralls and boots or Sunday best were the dress code when displaying your hobby
Some of the owners would wear BD and berets- minus unit/regt items (but in an attempt
to "get it right" others went the whole hog. Badges, weapons, personal kit. RANK as well)

There were exceptions
I recall an elderly owner of an army ambulance who wore his BD top, GS hat and
all the badges etc but then they were his from WW2 and he restored an ambulance because
he drove one during his service.
It was memory lane and why not?

Correct vehicle plus unit markings plus personel in correct uniform equals the correct display package
but ffs people with more kit than ever issued or driving fantasy vehicles spoil things.

Oh and on a note of perfectionism,
I knew a guy who restored a Willys jeep. Just a bog standard was the aim.
He lined up every screw head using a metal ruler as a guide.
A good bloke, just a little scary?

Now it seems to have aspects of farce.
I went to the War and Peace 2003 show.
Didn't stay long.
Too many "cat walk" models for my taste.- mind the German Flak unit looked bl*ody hard, and all British too.
Yes I know the arguements for showing the uniforms but it aint to my taste.
But it depends on what the punters go for.

I go to quite a few military vehicle shows and see loads of different sorts of re-enactors. Most of the WWII ones whether they are German or Yank or British just can't get it right. I think it is as already said "they're wannabes." For my part, I meet up with some ex-regular mates and we spend a weekend at a military vehicle show COMPLIMENTING the vehicles we attend with. i.e. We try to portray army life as it really was when we were innocent young teenagers. NOT in the sanitised fantasy world that some of these guys live in. Of course we're not teenagers any more, we've got bad backs, beer bellies, bad eyesight and sad memories BUT we do get it right. We get it right because WE DID IT FOR REAL! I recall seeing a "Falklands Display" a couple of years ago and the "Paras" didn't even know how to hold a smg, tie puttees, polish boots, where a beret - now those things make my blood boil!

PartTimePongo said:
I wouldn't call the Sealed Knot "Walts" either . certainly not in pikestaff swinging range.

Nutters one and all, seen a battle, I'm surprised no one was killed.
... They are the paramilitary wing of the Campaign for Real Ale.

Organized a camping trip last weekend for a few families where I live. One family told us they would bring along their 25 ft medieval re-enactment tent to sleep in. I wasn't sure they were serious. The anticipation as we all arrived was tangible. We watched speechlessly as the huge red and yellow tent was erected in quick time. They obviously used it a lot and regalled us with tales of re-enactment events! I can honestly say that our camping group attracted a lot of, ahem, attention all weekend.
I felt a little better when i spied an American Indian Tepee (how do you spell it?) taking pride of place in the next field. Puts my family dome tent to shame. The next time I organize something I will be more cicumspect.