"Re-enactors" selling poppies....

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by HE117, Sep 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That time of year is coming up again....!

One thing I have noted over the past few years are group of re-enactors in an interesting variety of WWII uniforms selling poppies.

I have to say I have some mixed feelings here, particulary when the age, size, shape and general scruffiness of these characters does not particularly give out the right message! Most of them look like extras from Dads Army...

On the other hand they are collecting money for service charities... so am I being overly crusty?

I would much rather see the real thing out on the ground, Regulars, TA or Cadets. I know that the wearing of uniform was discouraged during the IRA era, and I suppose the threat is still there in other forms, but sometimes I think we shoot ourselves in the foot by not putting ourselves into the public arena.

Any thoughts...
  2. Its not to bad where I live, the RBL, the local TA sigs and the cadets all are actively out selling poppies but a bit closer to the time.
  3. Being a bit overly crusty there old boy, but I do see your point.

The RBL is tragically short of collectors in some areas so fair play to whoever can actually be arsed to get up and go and do it.
  4. Unfortunately, using WWII uniforms goes to show that's all the RBL seems to be interested in, a link with WWII.

They do need to put out the message that's WWII is not what it's all about.
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

As you say Stella most areas short of collectors and/or organisers. A lot who have done it for years are now too infirm or have died so a new generation is required to 'pick up the tin'.
  6. So...

perhaps we need to plug some tin rattling into the FoE??

Anybody know what the MET(L) is?

(this is why I raise the topic now & not in a month's time...)
  7. I have seen similar things, people tin-shaking for charity in uniform - despite it being obvious to all concerned that they have no affiliation to the military - professional money collecter (chugger?) meets surplus store perchance?

My first post, sorry for any formatting errors!
  8. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Don't get re-enactors collecting for the Poppy Appeal be mixed up with proffessional money collectors.
    No matter what you think of the re-enactors & remember some will be ex-service, when they collect for the Poppy Appeal they volunteer to give their time freely & for nothing.
  9. I am not disparaging the honest volunteers who do a brilliant service collecting for the poppy appeal, I am merely saying I've seen 'charity' collectors, walting pretending to be ex-forces in their army-surplus-store gear. I doubt much of the money went to the charity in question, anyway.
  10. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Misunderstood you. :oops:
    If you see 'em mug 'em & give the money to charity. :D
  11. No worries :D I think I may take your advice, too..... Unfortunately, 'professional' collectors, and the even more worrying plain scam artists who aren't affiliated to any charity are turning people away from donating to worthwhile, honest collectors. Just my two new pence!
  12. If they make an effort and look good might be a good idea.If its some fatty
    in an xxxl denison smock then no imho.
  13. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

As long as they are bone fide Poppy Appeal collectors it doesn't matter overly to me just as long as they don't wear any spurious medals or qualification badges.

I have to say that a genuine ex-soldier collecting with his/her rack of medals will always get more out of me!

If we do send serving soldiers out to collect it would be a toss up between wearing dessies to remind people that our people are serving and dying in hot sandy places or No 2 dress so that they can see that medal earning has not died out... in fact, for some of us, it's speeding up!
  14. I like this way of collecting myself:

Attached Files:

15. ha Ha ! I like the cartoon!

Personally, I feel that if reenactors are the people getting the money in for the RBL, then that's fine by me just so long as it is done with compassion. The majority of reenactors who collect for the Poppy Appeal do it with sincerity. Please don't confuse these reenactors with the FARBs who dress up as soldiers in ill-fitting dpm.

I also agree with Purple Flash's comments - a rack of medals sells poppies! :wink: