Re-enactment groups at normandy

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Walts.

Don't be stupid, so long as they are not trying to be something they most patently are not, good on 'em. One group came into local school with two veterans and gave a brilliant day of making this history live for those studying it. Listening to the veterans made the old hairs stand up, and they were quick to point out any errors the enactors had. Note the etomology of the word en "ACTORS".

An effective way to bring history to life.
How often do posters here lament the lack of historical knowledge in our youngsters, re-enacters can only help raise awareness and understanding of these events.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
if it's done right with reverance and respect it can be very good and informative
However if it's just a bunch of blokes in Jeeps on the piss then they can spoil it for alot of people
I think that well run groups can help todays youngsters understand what went on but they must remember to take a back stage in Normanday etc to allow the proper veterens to enjoy their day

Mind you Easy Company 506th PIR 101AB must have had the largest M.T. of any unit
The amount of vehicles and people with their unit markings on are unbeleivable
Stobarts had less wagons than them :wink:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I normally have no problem at all (I contribute to www.hmvf.co.uk).

But this morning a packet of three returning WW2 trucks brought the M3 almost to a standstill north of Southampton.

Absolutely all for it.
They are paying tribute the best way they can, in quite a proactive manner. If they were bigging themselves up, saying they were Airborne or whatever, then different kettle of fish, but they ain't.

Good on them

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BarceBandit Military History and Militaria 21
Glad_its_all_over The Intelligence Cell 22
WEATHERMAN1956 Multinational HQ 8