Re-enactment groups at normandy

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by BenghaziBandit, Jun 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Opinion please , what are your views on people dressed as WW2 re-enactment groups at the D.Day celebrations?
  2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

3. Don't be stupid, so long as they are not trying to be something they most patently are not, good on 'em. One group came into local school with two veterans and gave a brilliant day of making this history live for those studying it. Listening to the veterans made the old hairs stand up, and they were quick to point out any errors the enactors had. Note the etomology of the word en "ACTORS".
  4. An effective way to bring history to life.
    How often do posters here lament the lack of historical knowledge in our youngsters, re-enacters can only help raise awareness and understanding of these events.
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

if it's done right with reverance and respect it can be very good and informative
    However if it's just a bunch of blokes in Jeeps on the piss then they can spoil it for alot of people
    I think that well run groups can help todays youngsters understand what went on but they must remember to take a back stage in Normanday etc to allow the proper veterens to enjoy their day

Mind you Easy Company 506th PIR 101AB must have had the largest M.T. of any unit
    The amount of vehicles and people with their unit markings on are unbeleivable
    Stobarts had less wagons than them :wink:
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I normally have no problem at all (I contribute to

But this morning a packet of three returning WW2 trucks brought the M3 almost to a standstill north of Southampton.
  7. Military history brought to life. Much better than some dusty museum so I won't knock it.
  8. Absolutely all for it.
    They are paying tribute the best way they can, in quite a proactive manner. If they were bigging themselves up, saying they were Airborne or whatever, then different kettle of fish, but they ain't.

Good on them