Re-covering a coil sprung

Discussion in 'DIY' started by PapaGolf, Jul 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would like to re- cover my coil sprung mattress. I've had it years and its well comfy, but after many postings the covering is starting to look a bit tatty. And no its not through persistant swamping action. I realise its probably cheaper to buy new, but like underwear, it takes ages to get new stuff to be as comfy as the old. Any ideas?

2. I have no prior knowledge of this, but, talking to a mattress firm on another matter I asked about recovering. They said, 1. labour cost would be much much more than that for making a new mattress; 2. doubt if anyone would be willing to handle an old mattress, "like asking a tailor to sew old soiled and unwashed cloths" ; 3. re delivery they are prevented by law from carrying new and old mattresses in the same vehicle! - apparently applies to manufacturers but not retail?

Suggestion was perhaps contact a furniture loose cover maker, or a ready made such as John Lewis sell?

Appears they start from £5 and are no doubt sold elsewhere - John Lewis Polycotton Quilted Mattress Covers online

Probably anorak, but QI.

No.9