RE bomb disposal?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by pvtmccheyne, Sep 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hey guys, well ive gone through the selection process got my job as a sparks in the RE start training february i just want to know after completion of phase 2 training how long realistically would i have to wait to volunteer for bomb disposal and get put on a course. cheers
  2. i'm sure i read somwhere you have to be corpral or above. I could be wrong
  3. As far as I know there's no rank bar for volunteers, although I suspect as a Sapper it'll be just another posting. If you put your preferences in, express a strong interest in EOD then theres a good chance you'll come here. What the last poster was talking about was the defence EOD operators course - open to all arms now, you have to be a sub-cpl selected for promotion to be considered.
    hope that helps. GOS
  4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Put in a posting preference to 33 or 101 EOD regiments, which will start you on the RE EOD/Search ladder. In due course you will then be able to go for Defence EOD operator training, but this will be a few years down stream for you.

A number of other RE squadrons have re-roled into Search (which works closely with EOD). You best bet to get into this role outside 33/101 is to go for 36 Regt.

5. ok cheers guys, so its going to be longer than an ammunition tech route then..
  6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

In either route you will not be involved in "bomb disposal" straight from training.
  7. youre right and i think i would rather get a trade as a sparks rather than storing ammo.
  8. 'Ammo Tech!' on these hallowed Sapper Pages!! How very dare you sir!!
  9. We don't store ammo. In unit's that's what the ammo storeman is for. In depots it's the RLC supplier. Ammo Techs just shout at the storeman or supplier when they contravene regulations.

If you want to be a Sgt in 4 years, and think you can pass selection, join as an ammo tech. If you want a good variety of hard work, hard play and hard drinking yet don't mind drinking another mans piss, join the RE and forever be known as a wedge head ;-)

I'm off now - Elvis has left the building.
  10. well to be honest ammo tech was my first choice but there is no spaces at all left and no recruiter knows when it will be available
  11. No spaces left to eventually be employed to poke bombs. What the feck is the world coming to?

Next there will be a 5 year waiting list to be a Shark Dentist and an African plain feline nail technician.
  12. Hmm, recruiters usually seem to be spot on, but we are still undermanned, especially at SNCO level.
  13. Well Dingerr if you would quit malingering in hospital and get back at it there would be less of a shortage! ;-)
  14. yeah well they were at most wanted a month before my ADSC date and now i passed with an A the recruiters have said all the spaces have been filled up for phase 1
  15. Yeah, I know, I'm a Jack bastard