Re: AVOID THE ATR

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Captain_Crusty, May 28, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Don't say that- I'm en route to one in a couple of months time... :mad:

2. It's all true...

Working on Saturdays, :eek:

Sunday church parades, ???

Extras galore, :-[

I had a life once.... :(

3. Ahhhhh an officers life.......bless!!! ;D

4. Sounds like work to me, ask a senior nco they will show you how to do it, just like always then!

5. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

ATRs are very good for the career for a number of reasons:

a)   One more year at RD for any subaltern (lets face it, RD is what most of us joined for!)

b)   They are all located in the UK, so you can get up to London whenever you need to.

c)   If you get it in early enough, you can use it as an excuse not to do an ATRA tour later on in your career, therein leaving you with one less career limiting posting to endure as a senior Capt/Maj.

Unfortunately there are some drawbacks:

a)   You work some weekends and have occasional church parades (if you couldn't take a joke you shouldn't have joined!)

b)   Some ATRs have Female inmates. (Not a problem unless you have a serious hormonal imbalance and find it impossible to comprehend the Values and Standards paper)

c)   Its an ATR...

6. But you still get treated like a f**king kid.

7. And the crow are specially selected from Broadmoor

8. What about the AFC?

9. It turns out that its not just a football club.

10. But you have very little to actually do.

As long as you have a good plt Sgt

11. But not even he will help you with the weekly pile of reports that you have to produce on the crows..... bless their cotton socks.

Bureaucracy rules!!!!

No one has yet mentioned that complete waste of time of an ITGIS course run at Licthfield to induct all ATRA Instructors into the ways of how to kill enthusiasm at a 100 paces.
    Are we denial?

12. Stay low, move fast and it's possible to avoid sh ITGIS.

I did  :eek:

Oh, and now officers have to do two weeks!

13. Is that training or work?

14. You should feel lucky that you were posted to an ATR.  I was posted to one of our esteemed Phase 2 dumps, which was interesting to say the least.  Put a Pl Comd in a job which should have been done by an AWS Sgt and a couple of AGC clerks.  (Hey, I'm not bitter - I only did a year there!)  The main drama is all the bureaucracy you encounter - especially if you want to encourage a scroat to seek alternative forms of employment.  Folk higher up the food chain seem concerned about numbers, not quality.  For me the acid test was "Would I want this individual as a soldier in my unit on Ops?"  If the answer is no, and the Pl Staff, OC and 2IC are also in agreement, why does some Staff Officer/RO2 know better?

Oh well, feel better now, got that off my chest! :)

15. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

...because RO2's are out with their OBE and don't have to put up with the consequences of their pants decision. And besides, some RO2 probably shafted them with some numpty at some time or other, and now is the opportunity to do it to someone elses. And so the wheel goes round......