RCT Wallahs who used to lurk in airports and sea ports

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by AlienFTM, Jul 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I distinctly remember seeing senior ranks from the RCT lurking in places where the military might travel to or from during the 1970s and 1980s.

Definitely RCT and tended to wear barrack dress with a bright red armband bearing a yellow wheel symbol.

I have the initial JSMTO in my head (but I could be wrong) and damned if I can remember what they were called. Anybody help?

I'd ask on the RLC forum but it becomes yet another forum to watch and I am quite sure somebody in here will put me right.

2. Movers at Luton airport and St Pancras station when the daily trooper used to fly from there to BAOR. They later dressed in civvis as the security threat picked up in the late 80's.

Famous for the phrase 'You will shortly be called forward'.
  3. The trade was called Movement Controller.
  4. I'm reasonably sure that JSMTC stood for Joint Services Military Trooping Centre, but some body will crucify me for getting it wrong, I have no doubt.
    I'm only an ex-sloppy, so what do I know???????
  5. It was JSATC in those days, Joint Services Air Trooping Centre. The HQ was in Hendon but staff worked at Luton, Heathrow, Gatwick and St Pancras. It wasn't just RCT Movcons either, RN and RAF staff worked at the same places.
  6. AlienFTM

Yer a brave man for putting yer head above the parapet to be shot at.

My stab was something very akin to that.
  7. AlienFTM

I did suggest that the abbreviation might not be correct. This rings a bell.

You sound confident enough to make me want to believe you. I think I'll go with your authoritative version and point an accusing finger at you if you are wrong.

8. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I'm sure they still lurk in dark corners and get all hyper about nothing at all.

We still have 'em in the RLC I think.
  9. JSMTC stood for Joint Services Military Trooping Cnuts
  10. for those familiar with air trooping this will not sound odd, to those unfamiliar this is god's honest truth. In 1982 I was en route to a summer attachment in Germany. I was instructed to report to Hendon on day 1, for a flight the following day, late in the day (about 1800 hours if my memory still serves) from Luton.

As I was in Luton for sexual operations that summer I suggested that we could save the Army a couple of days pay and I would report to Luton. "Oh no," came the terse reply. "We can't have soldiers just turning up at airports in time for flights to Germany. Be at Hendon by 1430 hours the previous day or you may be bumped from your flight. Oh and you may be bumped from your flight in any case..."

So I schlepped in to Hendon - not the easiest place to reach from Luton bizarrely given their interlocking in the minds of movers. Then spent a grim night in transit accommodation being refused permission to leave the camp unless, presumably I decided to run away from the RAF. I was also informed that as I had an eight figure number I could doss down in the ORs transit accommodation but because I was an officer cadet I had to eat in the officer's mess. Which was fecking miles from the transit accommodation unlike the JR Canteen which was opposite.

I was awoken at 0600 the following morning and evicted from the accommodation and told to report back "after breakfast". This was not available until 0800 in the mess and by the time I had lugged an exercise woth of kit there, eaten a hasty repast and lugged et cetera back I was delighted to be greeted by an RAF Flight Sgt who proceeded to rip me to bits. Well actually it was like being savaged by a dead sheep.

Apparently they expected me "after breakfast" in the ORs canteen - i.e. at 0700. I explained about the messing but was then cut off and told that regardless of my sins I would now be "processed"...which involved him taking a piece of paper from me, putting it briefly in his millboard before giving it back to me. He then continued to lecture me about delaying the "others". We all then sat in a sweltering hot waiting room for five hours before driving to Luton. I gave lunch a miss...

Which is why my service autobiography will be called "I was a prisoner of the RAF."
    • Like Like x 2
  11. ..........and although the terminology and personnel may have changed the appallingly low standard of service most surely hasn't.
  12. That sounds about right.

My son was a Movement Controller at Hanover for a while, it sounded like a dream job for anyone looking for an easy life.
  13. In my mind's eye the conversation at the ACIO goes something like this:

Colour Sgt: Do you like travel?

Recruity: Yes...

Colour Sgt: Do you like people?

Recruity: No, not really...

C/Sgt: Have you considered a career as a movements controller?

(Yes, I know, you all guessed the punchline...)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Prior to air trooping most railway stations in London had RASC/RCT movements people to assist personnel travelling through. There always seemed to be a bunch of Military Policemen around too.
  15. I really hopr this generates into an "I hate Movers" thread.

Because I do.
    • Like Like x 1