Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RCT Saturday visits to East Berlin

Perhaps this is the difference between what a Flag Tour could achieve as an official duty conducted by resident troops exercising their rights under the Quadripartite Agreement, compared to the Saturday Tours which were effectively an educational/recreational activity conducted for visitors.

Thanks, I was beginning to lean towards a similar explanation myself.

Thanks for the reply, I thought that too and took a trip out there last year and eliminated it. As the trips were controlled by Eastern authorities I strongly suspect it was for benefit of improving their profile in the West.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
They were not controlled by E Germany. They were part of uk exercising it’s powers as part of the 4 power military government of Berlin (W and E) the only restriction was that the visits were confined to the city boundaries. You might have noticed at Check Point Charlie that the tour staff would have dealt with the Soviet officials only.

Although never RCT, I was a guide for several of those Saturday tours in 81-82. It might take some time, but I will try to remember where I hid my tour notes last time ComdHomeFront insisted that I got rid of more of my military archives.

Any luck with the hunt for your notes?

Is there anyone else out there with any idea of what the mystery location might be?

Thanks for the reply, I thought that too and took a trip out there last year and eliminated it. As the trips were controlled by Eastern authorities I strongly suspect it was for benefit of improving their profile in the West.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
They were not controlled by E Germany. They were part of uk exercising it’s powers as part of the 4 power military government of Berlin (W and E) the only restriction was that the visits were confined to the city boundaries. You might have noticed at Check Point Charlie that the tour staff would have dealt with the Soviet officials only.

Absolutely correct. The BMWS trips were purely a military run thing, which meant the East Germans had no involvement whatsoever. Anything to do with the military in Berlin was the resposibility of the four occupying powers.
The civil powers, both sides of the border had no say where the military went and what they were allowed to do.
Tensions were slightly eased in 1971 with the 4 power agreement which guaranteed transit rights.

One location the bus went to which hasn't been mentioned was Natashas. A Soviet shop which sold Russian tourist crap, but was notable for having bottles of Stolichnaya and Limonnya vodka at EM50 a bottle (around 50p at the time if you knew where to get your East Marks from)

Any luck with the hunt for your notes?

Is there anyone else out there with any idea of what the mystery location might be?

Ned

Did you manage to find your notes?

I am also looking for a picture or two the the Berliner military train. I am writing an article for a Berlin web site and would like add a photo. I have the NATO travel Order, itinery etc. Can offer a credit but lack the $$

Ned

I am also looking for a picture or two the the Berliner military train. I am writing an article for a Berlin web site and would like add a photo. I have the NATO travel Order, itinery etc. Can offer a credit but lack the $$

Trouble is that taking photographs on the train was ‘streng verboten’. Part of the post-48 deal for allowing train movement into Berlin was that no photographs were allowed.

IIRC both the French and American trains were scheduled at night was because they kept being seen taking photographs.

I was the Train Officer several times and one of our duties was to check that **** wits weren’t breaking the rules.

@Brotherton Lad will know more.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Ned

Sorry, not yet as I have been distracted by other things for the last few weeks. I will brave the cave at the weekend and get back to you.

I don’t have any of my own photos of the Berlin train - I had to play by the rules. However, there is another thread on the site specifically about the BMT; suggest to search.

Regards.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Trouble is that taking photographs on the train was ‘streng verboten’. Part of the post-48 deal for allowing train movement into Berlin was that no photographs were allowed.

IIRC both the French and American trains were scheduled at night was because they kept being seen taking photographs.

I was the Train Officer several times and one of our duties was to check that **** wits weren’t breaking the rules.

Bob, did you happen to attend the Queen or Simon and Garfunkel concerts in the Waldbuhne while you were there? I have a sneaking suspicion that our paths might have crossed.

Bob, did you happen to attend the Queen or Simon and Garfunkel concerts in the Waldbuhne while you were there? I have a sneaking suspicion that our paths might have crossed.

Queen
Elton John
Supertramp
String
Sade
Mungo ******* Jerry*

Those are the concerts I remember attending. Schultheiss May have edited some others from my memory.

Most of them were in the Deutschlandhalle.

Mungo Jerry was in a pub on Naafiplatz.

* My squadron 2ic wanted company. The twat**

** I hope that’s not you ****.

Yes I was aware of the no photos or binoculars as mentioned on the handout they gave you. I was more interested in the rolling stock at either Helmstedt or Charlotenburg.
I visited Marienborn a couple of years ago and took some photos unfortunately the file is too large to upload. I can email if you like, my email is mjoss@shaw.ca

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Queen
Elton John
Supertramp
String
Sade
Mungo ******* Jerry*

Those are the concerts I remember attending. Schultheiss May have edited some others from my memory.

No, I was not that senior. Berlin was my first tour out of the factory if that helps!

Have the BBC apologised for this!
Ask yourself, "Are the Russians of colour?" Once you've decided on the answer, you'll know whether Auntie apologised or not.

Sorry, not yet as I have been distracted by other things for the last few weeks. I will brave the cave at the weekend and get back to you.

I don’t have any of my own photos of the Berlin train - I had to play by the rules. However, there is another thread on the site specifically about the BMT; suggest to search.

Regards.
I have one of an east German watch tower and the guards...just need to find the album

That was why for my first six months I was 'Access Sgt' meaning constantly up and back on the train and self driving the autobahn relying on Mk 1 eyeball and dictaphone. It was always hard filling the down time in Braunschweig between trains. Maybe the beer made our retinas more sensitive for the night run back. Then, of course, the damned train off-loaded us at Grotty Charlotty. I miss that place, Berlin I mean, not Grotty Charlotty.

Queen
Elton John
Supertramp
String
Sade
Mungo ******* Jerry*

I've found some photos of concert tickets I attended. Well, it was 'we' then, but a different 'we' to right now. If you know what I mean.
img037a.jpg
img038a.jpg
img039a.jpg

Happy days!

Ned

One of the carriages sold at auction about a month ago , look up the thread about a Blackburn Beverley being auctioned

Joe's Bierhaus perhaps?

Latest Threads