RCT 63 Depot Sqd 76 to 78

Discussion in 'RLC' started by welshblokemiles, Sep 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If anyone has any photos please let me know in a PM. I want to see if I can get my dad (a certain Stephen Cook) some pictures, or hear from anyone who can dish the dirt on him! :twisted: :D

Thanks

2. What did he do in 63 Sqn?

3. I think he was a driver, but I'll have to check and get back.

4. Welshbloke, 63 Sqn was the RCT Para element, unless it had a role change after I left the Corps ('70). Maybe you should do some more checking - '63' might refer to something else, although I doubt it.

5. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

I believe 63 became a depot sqn as a result of the disbandment of an airborne formation in the mid-late 70's, on account of HMG's desire to not actually kill this country's enemies anymore. 5 Bde was reformed in 79? and thus the supporting units once again became 'airborne' again.

The only pictures of 63 I've got are from much later and mostly revolve around low light studies of me with "lover not fighter" writ large in lipstick across my chest, sorry.

6. Well cheers anyway. One day someone will fall over this thread with the goods, I hope!

I do remember him saying he put someone in the cells for a short time, for a petty offence, (but I don't think he was a redcap...?), and a few years ago that same person commited suicide. Not related obviously, but that may jog someone's memories.

7. Yer that jogs my memory, the bloke that commited suicide died later. Don't recognise the Name Steven Cook though.......... but thats probably because I didn't join till 91. Hope this helps.

8. Miles - It sounds like your Dad was an RP (Regimental Policeman) and thus had the opportunity to deal with such "problems".

As pointed out, 63sqn was the airborne element of the RCT as was 82 Coy for the RAOC (well, we were all royal airborne overseas commandos in the RAOC).

I don't have any pics from then, they would have been my dads and during those dates he was in Bielefeld, 25 Regt.

Sorry mate...

9. Miles - It sounds like your Dad was an RP (Regimental Policeman) and thus had the opportunity to deal with such "problems".

As pointed out, 63sqn was the airborne element of the RCT as was 82 Coy for the RAOC (well, we were all royal airborne overseas commandos in the RAOC).

I don't have any pics from then, they would have been my dads and during those dates he was in Bielefeld, 25 Regt.

Sorry mate...

10. So you are saying that my old man may have been an RP then me_and_bee.

:wink:

11. I don't know when 63 Para Sqn RCT was disbanded from the Airborne Role in the 1970's, but it was reformed in the Airborne Role in 1982/83 post Op Corporate, from 407 Troop RCT who were under 8 Sqn RCT umbrella (27 LSG REGT RCT).

I believe 63 Sqn RCT were in Buller Brks (non airbourne role) in the late 70's, I know the hard way as I felt the anger of the RP staff.