• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

RCMO Post

Just got my fingers burnt by Subsonic for posting in a different thread (Sorry boss).

My question was, have we as a Corps taken a step backwards with the 'virtual' abolition of the RCMO position? The formation of the RCMO post was a massive leap forward for our Corps and brought our soldier management into line with the rest of the Army. In my opinion, we have now taken two steps backward with the 'dumbing down' of this post.

Is this the general view from everyone else out there or am I alone in this?

There are arguments for and against the RCMO. However, I feel that the pros far out-weigh the cons.

ES

k613

War Hero
Don't know how the RCMO would feel at his abolition, virtual or otherwise....

I've seen more of the current RCMO than I did of his predecessor. To me, that is an indication that the current RCMO is getting out to the Units to see the soldiers, which I believe is what an RCMO should be doing.

I'm not sure I get what you mean by "dumbing down" of the RCMO post. I know RCMO's a lurker, maybe he'll take the plunge and post. :wink:

Fraser said:
I've seen more of the current RCMO than I did of his predecessor. To me, that is an indication that the current RCMO is getting out to the Units to see the soldiers, which I believe is what an RCMO should be doing.
I'm not sure I get what you mean by "dumbing down" of the RCMO post. I know RCMO's a lurker, maybe he'll take the plunge and post. :wink:
I take it you mean he has been to your unit recently. The reason that you may not have seen the previous one is that he was visiting other units and yours wasn't on the diary for a req'd visit. Personally, I think the previous and current RCMOs were/are more hands on than the previous CRSM ever was. In fact rumour has it he was agoraphobic and could only make it out of Chicksands in the back of a Pantechnic to the airport for freebies, sorry sport tours of Germany and Cyprus. As long and there were no Dark-siders ther to upset him of course.

ashford_old_school said:
Fraser said:
I take it you mean he has been to your unit recently. The reason that you may not have seen the previous one is that he was visiting other units and yours wasn't on the diary for a req'd visit. Personally, I think the previous and current RCMOs were/are more hands on than the previous CRSM ever was. In fact rumour has it he was agoraphobic and could only make it out of Chicksands in the back of a Pantechnic to the airport for freebies, sorry sport tours of Germany and Cyprus. As long and there were no Dark-siders ther to upset him of course.
It wasn't a criticism of the previous RCMO, he visited on two or three occasions that I know of and it is also quite likely that he has visited the unit whilst I have been deployed. I was simply making an observation that I've seen more of the current RCMO, over a shorter period.

Maybe the new one doesn't like the smell of frying onions so spends as little time as poss at Chix!

Sorry DTC, we aren;t really organised like that; RCMO for is stands for Regional Career Management Officer, not regtl. But, apparently the Int Corps' region is the world hence we only have one of them!!!

Can the RCMO be trusted though??

Should he or she be DE, or LE?

That's not fair...surely he's only concern is to offer sound advice to the individual? :wink:

subbsonic said:
Can the RCMO be trusted though??

Should he or she be DE, or LE?
Subsonic, stop that or you'll be standing on the naughty step.

ashford_old_school said:
In fact rumour has it he was agoraphobic and could only make it out of Chicksands in the back of a Pantechnic to the airport for freebies, sorry sport tours of Germany and Cyprus. As long and there were no Dark-siders ther to upset him of course.
What, scared of fighting? Surely not?

Spot on about the darksiders tho'

Fraser said:
Chego? said:
That's not fair...surely he's only concern is to offer sound advice to the individual? :wink:
Based on current the Policy Directive from the Directorate. :roll:
Doh - a bit pointless if he was giving you any other advice :roll:

What do you want advice based on the HCR farrier's CEG? Or could you just be after advice on how to trap off successfully? we could extend the RCMO's remit - not just career advice, but advice on life, the universe and everything - make him earn his pay :lol:

my very recent experience with the RCMO is that he is a jolly nice chap and as helpful as he can be however his advice and assistance has in no way much of a connection with the decisions the APC Glasgow make. This can be very disheartening. I believe 'dumbing down' is an accurate description.

An RCMO in each Bn probably be more useful and in line with the rest of the military. Not sure it matters if he s LE or not.

MrsRaven said:
Fraser said:
Chego? said:
Based on current the Policy Directive from the Directorate. :roll:
Doh - a bit pointless if he was giving you any other advice :roll:

What do you want advice based on the HCR farrier's CEG? Or could you just be after advice on how to trap off successfully? we could extend the RCMO's remit - not just career advice, but advice on life, the universe and everything - make him earn his pay :lol:
You appear to be suggesting that I am questioning RCMO's role. If you scroll up to my earlier post, I did in fact state that the RCMO would advise in accordance with the Directorate party line.

Now who would question the Directorate? The RCMO could tell me that black was white and that Squirrel Grey was a Corps' Colour and I'd believe it... :wink:

Fraser said:
The RCMO could tell me that black was white and that Squirrel Grey was a Corps' Colour and I'd believe it... :wink:
Do you think CR will believe him when he says "you still have every chance of promotion"? :D

devexwarrior said:
Fraser said:
The RCMO could tell me that black was white and that Squirrel Grey was a Corps' Colour and I'd believe it... :wink:
Do you think CR will believe him when he says "you still have every chance of promotion"? :D
my suspicions were first aroused when he couldn't say it with a straight face :)

The reason I started this thread, is due to the reduction of RCMO personnel to one, just as the Corps are expanding. The creation of this post was, in my and lots of other peoples opinion, a massive leap forward for the Corps. I know that the current Director is not a great fan of them and has subsequently cut the other posts. I believe that just a single officer will not have enough time to do the post justice and give each and every soldier the time they should expect to ensure they are appraised of their career at the necessary junctions in their career or when they request RCMO advice.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PapaGolf Royal Signals 9
Kybosh Reports & Promotion 22
Biffta112 Royal Signals 7