RCDM CLOSURE

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by neanderthal, Apr 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read today in The Torygraph that as part of the latest round of defence savings the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine would not be developed, thereby saving £200 million (PUS speaking to the HCDC).

April Fool or fact?

If true will the DMS go into meltdown?

Thoughts?

2. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2004%2F04%2F01%2Fnavy01.xml&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=464

So what is the new reprioritisation [crap management speak translation required] of DMS? To remove all morale and hope of development for AMS?

Also isn't [wasn't] RCDM meant to replace Keogh?

One of the problems highlighted on the MDHU thread was the lack of belonging - wasn't RCDM meant to improve this by offering a 'home' for AMS and an 'Alma Mater'. What will happen to its roles of "providing an endorsed, prioritised and funded programme of medical research
    and development for operational healthcare" and "The vision for RCDM is that by 2010 it will have achieved an international reputation for excellence in military medicine"

So what is the new priority of the DMS if being good at our job, and improving our systems isn't thought to be part of it?

3. I don't think there has been any re-prioritisation. Financially Defence is up the creek and closing RCDM was an easy option (well easier than buying less Attack Helicopters and continuing to protect Mr Westland).

I'd like to know what sort of fight DCDS(H) and SG put up. Are they going to fall on their swords, or run off with a pat on the head and the promise of an honour in the next list?

4. Answer on a knighthood sword to:
    Army Medical Directorate
    The Former Army Staff College
    Slim Road
    Camberley
    Surrey
    GU15 4NP

5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Well it will save improving on the 5 quarters available in Brum!

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Also that was kept pretty quiet, but then again it would be. DOH!

7. Glad this thread came up. Was gonna ask if anyone had heard the rumours.

Where does this leave 2ndary health care for the armed forces?

Only last month we had a brief about the future of the AMS, and nowhere was this mentioned. In fact after this revelation, the whole brief seems to have been a complete waste of time. It was all rubbish. Just an excuse for the team to come over on a jolly?

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

So its back to the wriggly tin sheds at the back of Keogh, or have they gone too?

9. OK Folks

Have done some prying and it turns out that there is no truth in the rumour that RCDM Birmingham is to close or any other such nonsense.

Apparently the plan to expand mil med facilities is carrying on in Brummyland and this includes accommodation and the like. I believe (but don't quote me on this) that one of the time limiting factors is the move of some NHS facilities to a new site - this will release the estate for MoD.

We can all sleep soundly in our stretchers knowing that Birmingham is still to become our new home...................... :?

10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Thats put that to bed then! Good April Fool though!

11. I'm not convinced.

Remember that Tebbit and Hoon are reported in The Torygraph as confiming to the HCDC that the RCDM is to be shelved.

Has anyone seen the funding line for the £200M which is required to develop the Birmingham site and infrastructure? Is it still extant?

12. Well- my info came from a very reliable source and certainly more reliable than any Torygraph journalist!

Feel free to shoot me if I am wrong.

13. Jezebel

An unreliable Torygraph journalist, whatever next!

Wash your mouth out!

Given the veracity of your source, I'll hush my mouth but keep my ear close to the ground.