RCBS Customer Support

Number three kid is getting into hand loading and so I've been teaching him the basics, to get him started I said I would give him some stuff to get him going. Things like scales, uni-flow powder hopper, powder trickler, all basic stuff. I got all the stuff together and on inspection I noticed the metering screws for the hopper were a little rusty and it was hard to see the numbers on them.

I gave RCBS a call as I couldn't find them on their website, basically I was just looking for the part numbers in order to buy elsewhere as doing that is usually cheaper. Told the guy what I needed and asked if he had a part number for them. Not a problems say the guy, sending me out replacements free of charge. Asked me if there was anything else so I asked for the part numbers for the drop tubes, again same thing, sending two of each free of charge.

I have to say that over the years I've had any dealings with RCBS they have always stepped up and looked after me so kudos to them.

Number three kid is getting into hand loading and so I've been teaching him the basics, to get him started I said I would give him some stuff to get him going. Things like scales, uni-flow powder hopper, powder trickler, all basic stuff. I got all the stuff together and on inspection I noticed the metering screws for the hopper were a little rusty and it was hard to see the numbers on them.

I gave RCBS a call as I couldn't find them on their website, basically I was just looking for the part numbers in order to buy elsewhere as doing that is usually cheaper. Told the guy what I needed and asked if he had a part number for them. Not a problems say the guy, sending me out replacements free of charge. Asked me if there was anything else so I asked for the part numbers for the drop tubes, again same thing, sending two of each free of charge.

I have to say that over the years I've had any dealings with RCBS they have always stepped up and looked after me so kudos to them.
I'll second that.
Lost the large anvil for my RCBS hand primer & when I emailed them, they told me the parts had been changed & to send them my address so they could mail out replacements. Told them I was in the UK & they said no problem & no charge. All new parts arrived in three days & postage alone was $27!
Needless to say, I rate their stuff highly (not had a single item of theirs fail yet - touch wood...).

IF i was to get into reloading and IF I was to use RCBS stuff, what Starter kit anyone would recommend and where would someone recommend getting it from?

I used to know the UK importer of said stuff he would tell you different tales from 30 years ago.

I think they have all had to up their game with Dillon and their lifetime guarantee's over those 30 years. I have never had an issue with Dillon, even when it was my ham fistedness that was the cause of the breakage, "....errr I looked at it and it just broke,...........honest".

Rock Chucker Supreme Master reloading Kit.
I bought mine in the US & stuck the whole lot in my suitcase, though that was at nigh on $2 to the £. Maybe not save so much now.

ETA £395 looks to be the best UK price & $300 over the Pond.
I priced a Dillon 650 for a mate in Germany. I can buy the complete all singing and dancing setup for almost a 800 - 1000 euros less than he can get it.

I used to know the UK importer of said stuff he would tell you different tales from 30 years ago.

I think they have all had to up their game with Dillon and their lifetime guarantee's over those 30 years. I have never had an issue with Dillon, even when it was my ham fistedness that was the cause of the breakage, "....errr I looked at it and it just broke,...........honest".

I priced a Dillon 650 for a mate in Germany. I can buy the complete all singing and dancing setup for almost a 800 - 1000 euros less than he can get it.
I've been handloading for around 30 or so years, never had a problem with the RCBS stuff, well nothing major. They've always had the lifetime guarantee thing, don't recall ever having to pay for any replacements. Like you say though, they have all had to up their game to sell their stuff. I have the RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Progressive Reloading Press, cost me around $650 when I bought it.

A mate has a Dillion, we both reckon that one press is as good as the other, they both do what they are designed for.

I've been handloading for around 30 or so years, never had a problem with the RCBS stuff, well nothing major. They've always had the lifetime guarantee thing, don't recall ever having to pay for any replacements. Like you say though, they have all had to up their game to sell their stuff. I have the RCBS Pro Chucker 5 Progressive Reloading Press, cost me around $650 when I bought it.

A mate has a Dillion, we both reckon that one press is as good as the other, they both do what they are designed for.
I kicked off with one of the first Dillons in the UK around 30+ years ago, I still have it and it still works - a little Square Deal, I keep threatening to sell it as I don't use it. I have a 650 with the case and bullet feeders, its like a little bullet factory when I've stoked up on coffee.

A mate same as you swears by RCBS, but I would only use Dillon, looking at it objectively its for no particular reason other than it is what I am used to.

I started with a Lee Challenger Anniversary Kit when I was 19. I'm still using most of it, except the scales (I went digital) and press (I went Rockchucker).

IF i was to get into reloading and IF I was to use RCBS stuff, what Starter kit anyone would recommend and where would someone recommend getting it from?
What might you be reloading and in what quantities?

Starter kits are just that: you may find that a lot of the ancillary bits and pieces that get chucked in soon need to be upgraded.

Starter kits are just that: you may find that a lot of the ancillary bits and pieces that get chucked in soon need to be upgraded.
I happily load a couple of thousand rounds or more every few months us my mate's RCBS Junior press. I find it's a great way to de-stress as concentrating on the task means no thinking about other stuff.

Currently .303 but hopefully other stuff in the future.

Currently .303 but hopefully other stuff in the future.
Start off with the basic stuff as you have quite a lot of learning to do. You will find that you will need stuff such as a powder trickler which is not included in some starter kits and has time goes on you'll find there is other equipment that you would like to have, believe me when I tell you handloading can become quite addictive and expensive.

While Youtube can be a very good source of information, I'd say also read up as much as you can on the subject. There is a lot of good literature out there on the subject and also get yourself a couple of good reloading manuals. Also get yourself a good set of dies, the old saying of you get what you pay for includes reloading dies as well so get the best set you can afford.

As stated above I've been handloading for 30+ years and I am no way near being any kind of expert on the subject. If anything even after all those years of doing it I am still learning something new on a regular basis.

Start off with the basic stuff as you have quite a lot of learning to do. You will find that you will need stuff such as a powder trickler which is not included in some starter kits and has time goes on you'll find there is other equipment that you would like to have, believe me when I tell you handloading can become quite addictive and expensive.

While Youtube can be a very good source of information, I'd say also read up as much as you can on the subject. There is a lot of good literature out there on the subject and also get yourself a couple of good reloading manuals. Also get yourself a good set of dies, the old saying of you get what you pay for includes reloading dies as well so get the best set you can afford.

As stated above I've been handloading for 30+ years and I am no way near being any kind of expert on the subject. If anything even after all those years of doing it I am still learning something new on a regular basis.
What he said.

Even with the 'ready to go' Dillon you still need to buy other stuff that quickly throws another $200 - $300 onto the price. Go with the best you can afford as quality does vary from Lada to Rolls Royce.

Have a read on the subject, watch some of the better youtube videos and remember the powder makers put their recommended powder charges on their websites.

Invest in a case gauge/headspace checker for every calibre you want to load - if it don't fit in there it ain't gonna fit in yer gun.

ugly

LE
Invest in a case gauge/headspace checker for every calibre you want to load - if it don't fit in there it ain't gonna fit in yer gun.
A difficult call, not all dies throw cases so badly as to fail to feed. They can and often you will be looking at the jammed round and wondering what went wrong. I used to get my OCD suffering match shooting mate to set up every one of my dies to feed ammo from the magazine rather than seated out to the lands (typical MR technique) and pay him by taking him stalking!

A difficult call, not all dies throw cases so badly as to fail to feed. They can and often you will be looking at the jammed round and wondering what went wrong. I used to get my OCD suffering match shooting mate to set up every one of my dies to feed ammo from the magazine rather than seated out to the lands (typical MR technique) and pay him by taking him stalking!
I only do 9mm and 5.56mm. Knock out a hundred, try them, adjust if needed and then crank on. I hate doing a calibre change with all the pissing around it takes a morning - I should sell my little square deal and get another 650 like @Flying Felix and my mate in Florida, he had 3 1050's rowed up on the bench.

I reload as it is necessary, if I got very cheap or free ammo I would not bother, but hey ho. I have an acquaintance, Andy, who does the long distance stuff with .50 cal's and .338's for him it is a toss up of wether he likes the reloading or the shooting more - the reloading is therapeutic and lets him think over his case file's and the shooting releases his inner psycho.

Sorry, I babble, I'm knackered.

I will have to be Mr Miserable about RCBS.

I had a proper going on with a 577-450 mold from them which wouldn't drop a bullet despite them telling me try this and try that, polishing it with wire wool round a PB brush etc. I am no novice when it comes to casting but tried their suggestions and finally had to return it for a replacement which was exactly the same and again they went through the same try this try that routine.

I even called the guy that makes the molds at Buffalo Arms for a second opinion as RCBS said their mould needed to be 'run in' which as far as I know is pure rubbish. The guy at Buffalo Arms confirmed this and back went the mold to RCBS for refund. It was a pain sending it back and forwards to the USA but at least they did eventually refund me including some of the postage.

I also had one of those Charge master combos which broke down the week the warranty ran out...nothing they could do about that, those things don't seem to be covered...but it was fun while it worked ok, shall not replace it.

Am I right in thinking that most of their stuff is now made in china? The Chargemaster has a PRC sticker on the bottom of it and the die sets just don't seem like the older ones from back in the 80's.

I had a proper going on with a 577-450 mold from them which wouldn't drop a bullet despite them telling me try this and try that, polishing it with wire wool round a PB brush etc. I am no novice when it comes to casting but tried their suggestions and finally had to return it for a replacement which was exactly the same and again they went through the same try this try that routine.

I even called the guy that makes the molds at Buffalo Arms for a second opinion as RCBS said their mould needed to be 'run in' which as far as I know is pure rubbish. The guy at Buffalo Arms confirmed this and back went the mold to RCBS for refund. It was a pain sending it back and forwards to the USA but at least they did eventually refund me including some of the postage.

I also had one of those Charge master combos which broke down the week the warranty ran out...nothing they could do about that, those things don't seem to be covered...but it was fun while it worked ok, shall not replace it.

Am I right in thinking that most of their stuff is now made in china? The Chargemaster has a PRC sticker on the bottom of it and the die sets just don't seem like the older ones from back in the 80's.
When it comes to bullet molds I prefer to go the custom route. I get mine from Lead Bullets Technology, they cost a little more than the mainstream makers but definitely worth the money.

When I'm shooting competition or making rounds for hunting I use the competition powder hopper that I have and the old beam scales and handload them individually rather than using the progressive press.

Yes

I've had them custom made by Steve Brooks (he finally made me a cracking one for the .577-450), Paul Jones, NEI Handtools etc.

The RCBS mold was a quick fix which turned out not to be so quick in the end.

Of course it could be just me being jinxed as the first one Steve Brooks sent me wouldn't close properly but he just sent a replacement and told me to throw the one I had in the bin.

I only do 9mm and 5.56mm. Knock out a hundred, try them, adjust if needed and then crank on. I hate doing a calibre change with all the pissing around it takes a morning - I should sell my little square deal and get another 650 like @Flying Felix and my mate in Florida, he had 3 1050's rowed up on the bench.

I reload as it is necessary, if I got very cheap or free ammo I would not bother, but hey ho. I have an acquaintance, Andy, who does the long distance stuff with .50 cal's and .338's for him it is a toss up of wether he likes the reloading or the shooting more - the reloading is therapeutic and lets him think over his case file's and the shooting releases his inner psycho.

Sorry, I babble, I'm knackered.

It can be a very slippery slope:

1 Dillon for small primers
1 Dillon for large primers
T7 for rifle ammo.

It does help being married unaccompanied ;)

20180816_211708.jpg

My X dies say made in the USA.
I think only the electronic stuff & some plastics like loading trays are made in China (which applies to pretty much everything these days).
Having said that; my Chargemaster combo must have thrown more than 10,000 loads over the past 10 years, 9 of them with the programme "tweaked" a tad to speed up the dispensing (more fast drop, less slow but the same trickle). Still works as well as it did at the start.