RCB

Discussion in 'Officers' started by groover, Jul 6, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am off to do my RCB briefing in September and just wanted a little bit of advice.
    I have been out of uni a couple of years, I didn't get a great degree as I had too much of a good time, and have bummed around for a couple of years since leaving, I have been sucessful in my jobs but have moved around a bit. I was wondering is this going to go against me? I have been offered sponsership with the RA, which was actually first offered eight years ago before I went off to discover life at uni, and they have confirmed that they will honour this even though it was so long ago.
    It has been a long time coming to a final decision but I know now this is what I want to do.

If anyone has any hints or tips, I have read most of the threads about the RCB and these are very helpful, but if there is anything that may be more useful to me being a little bit older than most of the candidates I would be very greatful.

2. Hi Groover,

There was a thread called "RCB Briefing" you can find it on page 2 of this board. Or click this link...

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb1/YaBB.pl?board=fm_rank_offr;action=display;num=1028928779

Although it starts off about the briefing there are lots of good tips about the main board as well.  

By the way, if they tell you that a thick letter means you've passed and a thin one means you've failed, just ignore them 'cause everybody gets a thin one!!  It's just the first of many army windups   :-/

I hope you get through.  If you do then I might see you at Sandhurst in September, 'cause that's when I'm joining.  

Good luck

DB

3. Thanks for that DB and maybe see you in September.

P.S I have got one other question. How much should I focus on the army as a whole and how much on the regiment that I want to join? There is just too much info to take in so I am trying to narrow things down a little bit.

4. You should concentrate on army in general, I didn't get asked anything specifically about sponsor, the loggies.  I remember mostly being asked about the major bits of kit (don't forget coms equipment too.)  Also the army structure, make sure you know how many people are in and which rank commands a platoon/company/battalion etc.

The best book is The British Army: A Pocket Guide 2002/2003 by Charles Heyman.  You can get this from Amazon or the bar at the RCB briefing.  The army website is quite good as well, if like me you can get away with surfing all day.  ;)

DB

5. Thanks again, I actually bought that very book last week, quite like the run through the career of an officer. Very ammusing! What about theatres of operations, did they get into that very much?  ??? As we are spread out all over the place did they just stick to the main ones, i.e. Kosovo, the Gulf etc, or did they ask for more in depth analysis of what we are doing?

p.s. Thanks for the help so far and please feel free to keep it coming I need all the help I can get. At least that's what my friends tell me about wanting to join the Army!! ;D

6. Groover.

I have sent you an email with sume stuff in, which i think may be helpful!

G20

7. I would recomend a mag called The Week as a top read for RCB/TCB/AIB etc etc.

A bit difficult to find in some of the shops but well worth it.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/

G20

8. Be yourself

Contribute to the Command Tasks and discussions without being too pushy or overbearing

Show enthusiasm and determination on the Assault Course

Be honest and forthright during the interviews, do not think you are expected to know the answers to all the world's problems. Do not bullshit.

You only have to be able to demonstrate that you do pay attention to current affairs, you are not being interviewed by Newsnight.

Show you can interact with others without being hostile or unpleasant.   Sense of humour is useful as long as used sparingly, don't be the course clown.

9. G20, thanks very much for re posting that to me, and for telling me to take my real name off of this, your right, walls have ears! Good luck with the the TCB.

Prof, thanks aswell, as I have said before all the help I can get is very greatfully recieved.

Keep it all coming I am comitted to doing this, and hopefully doing it well. So thanks to all of you giving me advice.  

10. Hi B** (if that is your real name)

I can’t give you all the answers (wouldn’t that be nice) but my tip is to learn about the main theatres that we’re in at the moment, plus potential problem areas.  But don't forget civilian stuff like NHS foundation hospitals.  You don’t really get grilled about current affairs in the interviews, it’s more important to know your stuff for the group discussions.  That’s when your current affairs knowledge is tested because you have to argue your case.

Don’t worry about being a bit long in the tooth, I was 2nd oldest on my course, and it’s certainly no disadvantage. You will probably have a lot more life experience, skills and confidence that you’re average 22/21-year-old, straight out of Uni type.  Play up your successes at work, and don’t worry about the bad degree grade.  Just be honest and say you paid to much attention to the extra mural activities.  After all they’re not looking for dull academic types, they’re looking for potential leaders.

In the few weeks running up to my RCB I made some notes on current affairs, it proved to be invaluable because I could do some quick last minute revision in the evenings.  There’s nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat because you don’t know who the Home Secretary is.  ???

On the command tasks listen very carefully to the instructions, quite a few people didn’t (myself included).  That meant that half way through they had to stop me to tell me that I was doing it wrong, then I had to change my plan, which wasted a lot of precious time.

Again good luck, just follow Prof's & G20's advice and you'll be fine.

DB