RCB Planning Ex.

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Vince, Oct 2, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I'm due to attend my RCB Main Board in three weeks now. Fitness is going fine, as is reading up on current affairs, etc. I have, however, struggled with some practice planning exercises and not feeling overly confident. In an hour long Planning Ex how should I roughly divide up my time, i.e. how long should I spend reading the scenario, getting rough notes written, and getting the final solution down on paper?

Would much appreciate any advice given! Cheers

2. You can plan all you like, and fill as many sheets of paper as you like with detailed sketches and Effects Schematics etc etc.

The DS will still trip you up. We don't need a load of Herberts who can only operate within a controlled environment. We need good operators who can think on their feet. This desire is realised by putting prospective candidates through a little bit of pressure at Westbury.

Frankly, come up with a plan that isn't totally insane (ie you request immediate support from the SAS and then dry up when the DS says 'Feck Off, Number 29') or immature (ie you put the welfare of animals before people etc), and then defend your reasoning.

There is no such thing as right or wrong. Until you do it for real, of course, and then it's tea and gallantry awards all round, or.......

Good luck - think outside the box!!

PS You could look elsewhere on this site and learn how to do the 7 Questions. That'll impress them... :D

Disclaimer:
    Slopes accepts no responsibility should anyone actually follow advice like this. Especially the bit about The 7 Questions.

3. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

What's The 7 Questions?

:?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Did the think out of the box on my RCB and did the 7 questions - :oops: back in 1990

5. The 7 Questions in 1990? wow

6. Q1 How the fcuk did Slopey Pass RCB? (if indeed he ever did - he could just be a sad Walt?)
    Q2 Why didn't they find him out at Sandhurst?
    Q3 Surely he should at least have been back termed?
    Q4 If he made it that far, there's not much chance of the R SIGS Tp Comd's course seeing through him then is there?
    Q5 Why didn't he join the RLC? (he may have looked reasonably competent there).
    Q6 Is there any point to the R SIGS anyway? (Silly me - they are going to sort BOWMAN out for us aren't they?)
    Q7 Why would anyone in their right mind take advice from Slopey?????

7. Replaced the Combat Estimate over the last two to three years.

Regards,

:D

8. Quite an expediant manner of making up estimates and orders. Tends to be a little sludgy in application but as a general process seems a very good idea. I'm told when you've done it enough times you can do the estimate part without writing anything down.

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thought I'd contribute for once. You could do far worse than practice your mental arithmatic - seriously. There have been many very bright people who have looked idiotic as a result of not being able to do it quickly and well when grilled about a plan, and many thicker folk (including yours truly) who have done a bit of practising at some point, who may have looked very good as a result of being able to quickly recalculate their plan when it's pointed out that X, Y Z was wrong / factors have changed.

DS: "No 8, I think you may haver forgotten that a man can only walk at 5.9 km/hr when laden with a box of matches rather than 6 when unladen"
    You: "Yes, I missed that sir"
    DS: "So what difference does that make to your plan?"
    You (answer 1 (suggested)): "Well sir that would mean that he arrives at Kimbalu, which as we know is a distance of 14.6 km in 2 hours 29 minutes and 12 seconds - in time to phone International SOS (or whoever may be covering the evacuation plan in place of the MOD) and all we be right and dandy"
    or you (2 (not suggested): "Well shit er er er em he walks a bit faster sir errm.. (shit) err it would make no difference and I would still cook and eat team members 2 and 3 for the greater good".

Regardless of the idiocy, my point is serious. This problems ARE like this and your recovery is at least as important as your initial plan. In your week before RCB do speed / distance / time calculations CONSTANTLY on the sign posts / speedo etc of your car whenever you drive anywhere.

More interesting though is option 3:

You: "Well sir, I had made the assumption that he was a soldier and therefore smoked like a chimney, and had used 63 of the 65 matches lighting 5 cigarettes during the walk at 20 minute intervals (I had made the assumption that they were crap rat pack matches and that it was a little windy sir) and I had assumed that the average weight of a match was .8 grams sir, so therefore he would have walked at 5.999 km/hr for the first 20mins sir, then 5.998 for the second 20 minutes sir (etc) therefore arriving after International SOS had gone on the piss and I therefore decided that eating my comrades (the corps members first sir obviously (assuming DS is from a teeth arm)) was the only option."

DS (DS is teeth arm): "Great bullshit no 8. You'll make a great Pl Cdr but you're a cocky twat - go to straight to Ro-co and do not pass "Go". Expect to see you as CGS by the time you're 40".
    DS ( DS is not teeth arm): "We don't need people like you in the fine British Army. I don't think you're taking this at all seriously and what this Army needs are train spotters."

God I must have been bored to write that. All true though, or my mother's a woman.

10. Captain_Crusty

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :p

11. Captain_Crusty

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :p

12. Captain_Crusty

Sorry! You caught me in a particuarly juvenile mood....

:roll:

13. All related to the 7 veils

14. Get a grip Ethel - even the most dense civvy could see my post was clearly tongue-in-cheek! :D

15. Captain_Crusty

Apparently he couldn't find Barossa....