RCB difficulty

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Rugbyman, Feb 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i am going to be takin my RCB briefing and then HOPEFULLY take the RCB in a few months. Does anyine know the passrate?? Any information at all about it would be very much appreciated. I live in northern ireland, do i have to pay for transport? Is there anything i could be preparing for it??

2. 1. There is no pass rate - you´ll pass if you´re good enough.

2. Read your joining instructions.

3. Read the RCB sticky above.
  3. You'd get a better response if you didn't backtrack by spoiling your own threads and then re-post elsewhere. You'll get the same answers, along with some predictable jibes at your spelling.
  4. AOSB - as its called - you either perform to the best of your abilities and are successful - or not

their is no quota system - nor a pass mark!

if youre good, congrats.
    if youre not, its either thank you and good bye, or try again in 12 months!
  5. It's 6months if you fail and you can go back
  6. The pass rate on the briefing I attended seemed high, with three of the seven in my group getting category ones, the rest getting twos of varyng lengths. I got a 2.6 for fitness, and three younger candidates git 2.12s for 'life experience'. If you are 17-19, expect to be knocked back for that. Outside of my group it seemed high. One complete ********* got a 2.24 because he was immature, another got a three because he was so overbearing, but for the older/graduate candidates they generally got category ones.

I met a guy who came from Ulster, and the army will pay for your flight to Heathrow, then you get the Express to Paddington, and a train direct from Paddington to Westbury.

There is LOTS you could be doing to prepare for it. You will not be tested on sit ups or press ups, but do lots of circuits anyway. You need to get to level 10.2 on the bleep test. You can download it off the RAF site somewhere (can't be arsed to find link). Try getting down a park and finding a small football pitch. Sprint round one half of the pitch, then do 2 minutes of an exercise, pull ups on the crossbar, for example. Then sprint around again and do another exercise, such as lunges. Do this until you want to die and you will get alot fitter, alot quicker than just running. Apart from the physical stuff, go to the AOSB website and read through the timtable for the two days. This shows you exactly what you will be doing. The MAP test is key, as it is the only part of the briefing that is carried over to main board. I know a guy who is currently in the Royal Marines who is a confident, intelligent graduate, but did poorly in the Psychometric test. He got a category four. Buy a book of psychometric tests and do lots of them.

Can't be arsed to write any more, good luck, and hope that helped.
  7. aosb is mega can feel like it drags on a bit on the outside tasks but its really laid back don't get to stressed have fun stay in the bar untill your asked to leave as its so late, the worst bit is the testing on the computers but dont get disheartened read the week magazine
  8. Oh dear, not really the attitude at all. The briefing wasn't too hard true but only if you go with the right attitude and do the preparation. There is no way the above comment can refer to the mainboard surely?

9. The briefing isn't hard, but then I don't think it is meant to be, just to give you an impression of what the main AOSB is like (and judging by what I saw and what they told me, going to be bloody hard).

The fitness is really not too hard, although practising for the specific formal of the bleep test rather than just going running would be a good idea. I'm reasonably fit and got to level 10.2 . However because I thought it was going to be harder than it was I went off at far too high a pace, getting to the line way before the beep so didn't get into synch with it, when the pace got faster I struggled to adjust my pace faster having forced it down.

Couple of guys in my group got cat 1's, me included. Couple of people got Cat 2's for fitness (no one cat 3 or 4), clearly hadn't prepared at all for the run. However I haven't booked the AOSB yet because the briefing highlighted some areas that I really need to work on, and I know that needs some serious work.

I'd say from what I've seen (and anyone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about feel free to tell me to wind my neck in) the Briefing is not really a test but more of an introduction to the process and a chance to tell you if you are on the right track, and if their are any major areas you need to work on. Basically, just make sure you prepare for the physical tests, read up a bit on current affairs but above all make sure that when your group leader debriefs you at the end you listen to what they say and act on it.

Good luck........