RCAF Where did it all go wrong?

What happened?

There was a time when we took pride in being a shower of shit on the parade square, we had better things to do. I suppose that only having a slack handful of aircraft to keep flying nowadays has led to this.

What happened?

There was a time when we took pride in being a shower of shit on the parade square, we had better things to do. I suppose that only having a slack handful of aircraft to keep flying nowadays has led to this.
Is the Drill Pig shouting "Youse Guys, HALT!" ? :? Tad informal, what? :?

Nothing wrong with that.

The Canadians can't be that bad. Don't the RAF send trainee fast jet pilots to them because the RCAF has newer versions of the Hawk trainer?

The crazy Canadian fools don't realise that what they need to scare off Putin's hordes is the Queen's Colour Squadron with its immaculate drill and highly polished boots rather than modern aircraft and skilled pilots.

What happened?

Don’t lose faith, your beloved pipes and drums still look and drill like bags of shite.... The only reason the guard is able to carry on without fùking everything up is because they were prepped by CG, RCR,and PPCLI drill instructors back in Canada.

Nothing wrong with that.

The Canadians can't be that bad. Don't the RAF send trainee fast jet pilots to them because the RCAF has newer versions of the Hawk trainer?

The crazy Canadian fools don't realise that what they need to scare off Putin's hordes is the Queen's Colour Squadron with its immaculate drill and highly polished boots rather than modern aircraft and skilled pilots.
If by modern aircraft you mean second hand discards, you’re right on the money......

Don’t lose faith, your beloved pipes and drums still look and drill like bags of shite.... The only reason the guard is able to carry on without fùking everything up is because they were prepped by CG, RCR,and PPCLI drill instructors back in Canada.
Hurrah for the pipes and drums, keep up the good work.

CG? I think you're 48 years too late.

Cheers,
Dan.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Nothing wrong with that.

We have for many years used the NATO jet training programme.

NATO Flying Training in Canada - Wikipedia

Diverting the thread a bit, I was impressed in late 2011 when the Harper government restored the name Royal Canadian Air Force after the Trudeauesque PC of the 1960s in re-naming the RCAF and the other branches as simply Canadian Armed Forces.

A pity the RCAF isn't bigger (bring back CFB Chatham, Summerside and other bases closed), but there you go.

Diverting the thread a bit, I was impressed in late 2011 when the Harper government restored the name Royal Canadian Air Force after the Trudeauesque PC of the 1960s in re-naming the RCAF and the other branches as simply Canadian Armed Forces.

A pity the RCAF isn't bigger (bring back CFB Chatham, Summerside and other bases closed), but there you go.
I was impressed when they gave the different services back their traditional coloured uniforms, then less impressed when they took away the Army’s tan summer uniforms.

I was impressed when the gov’t said they were reverting back to the old rank system, lance jack, etc, then less impressed when they said it would be to difficult?

I was impressed when the gov’t said it was making the heritage of the different Regiments, squadrons,etc a priority of the Canadian Forces. I was then less impressed when I read the CF Directorate of History and Heritage was carrying out a multi year review of all units to ensure they meet today’s standards of political correctness and do not cause offence to any members of Canadian society with their symbols, traditions, etc.

It’s the story of the CF, 1 step forward, 1 step back......

I was impressed when they gave the different services back their traditional coloured uniforms, then less impressed when they took away the Army’s tan summer uniforms.

I was impressed when the gov’t said they were reverting back to the old rank system, lance jack, etc, then less impressed when they said it would be to difficult?

I was impressed when the gov’t said it was making the heritage of the different Regiments, squadrons,etc a priority of the Canadian Forces. I was then less impressed when I read the CF Directorate of History and Heritage was carrying out a multi year review of all units to ensure they meet today’s standards of political correctness and do not cause offence to any members of Canadian society with their symbols, traditions, etc.

It’s the story of the CF, 1 step forward, 1 step back......
All of this must keep the Ottawa pen-pushers in work, so making the Canadian DND top-heavy, quite possibly like our MOD?.

Last edited:
1984 on Maple Flag with 1 (F) Sqn, met an older SNCO aircrew bloke who reminisced fondly of the days of the RCAF. I suppose the return of the old uniforms and RCAF must have made him happy.

Personally I think it all went wrong when they closed RCAF Marville, my parents used to go visit some family friends and do a bit of shopping there.
We were stationed a bit to the south of there.
Happier and simpler days methinks.