RBS bankers arrested in HMRC tax probe

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by RCT(V), Feb 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - RBS bankers arrested in HMRC tax probe

:) =| :pl: :| :)

2. does this mean the dodgy fckrs have not paid tax on their not insubstancial bonuses paid for with my hard earned wages-shame on them !! however on the good side they might be sacked and no longer be a drain on my dwindling finances-which is proberbly my second choice of punishment behind castration and being forced to eat their own bollocks sauteed in a creamy white sauce made from dried dogshite !

3. Maybe they need to speak to Harry Redknap's brief! :thumright:

4. Let us see how this one goes, because it centres around some widely sold Film Financing Schemes that generated tax losses for those who cared to dabble.

Odd that it gets a big splash just after the Rednapp fiasco and Hartnett getting more atrocious press about his expenses.........

5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I think the value of the publicity is in deterring people interested in tax avoidance schemes. You're never going to deter the hard core 'avoiders', but you might deter the 'thinking about it'.

The problem is that some of the UK's tax laws are so convoluted that its actually quite difficult to prove tax evasion in court (cue Harry Rednapp's brief).

And the author of the current complexity in UK tax law is a cnut called Gordon Brown who roughly trebled the number of pages of tax legislation during his tenure - thus probably trebling the ways of legally avoiding tax.

The best way we could raise more tax in the UK is not to raise tax rates, but to reduce the complexity of the tax laws, thus reducing the scope for avoidance.

Simple tax laws = maximum percentage of tax collected.

Wordsmith

6. simple tax laws= pay wot you are fcking due!!

7. The Film Partnerships were Government Sponsored and enabled many great british films to be made (I am sure there must have been at least one). Substantial tax incentives were available for those who chose to invest in them. It will be interesting to see what HMRC has found out (if anything).

8. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

RBS staff held in tax fraud investigation - Telegraph

Define actively involved...

Wordsmith