RBL Poppy - when did the leaf first become a feature ?

Discussion in 'Remembrance - Auctions forum' started by Hermes_R12, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Poppies have been around as long as I can remember but there was no leaf on them when I was a kidd. I remember in the 80s disassembling them (not a hard task) removing the leaf to place on my uniform as per Regimental Standing Orders.

Does anyone know what year the leaf appeared ?

2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I think it was in the 80s, as the country's economy improved. Perhaps there should be a study along the lines of the economic cycle coinciding with the length of women's skirts.

3. Maybe they should save some money by not having the leaf.

Oh, and how about next year to save money and waste, they send boxes of poppies without the stem or little black bit to units. Most of us just bin that bit as well while we stick our poppy behind our capbadge.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I believe the design change was initiated by RBL(Scotland) in order to encourage the purchase of new ones.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hmm interesting all very good points

6. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Good one. I do keep my poppies from year to year, just so I have a reserve or two.

And, yes, I also make a donation each year (don't believe all that nonsense about Yorkshiremen being like the Scots, but with the generosity removed).

7. Poppies actually originally had a leaf many years ago. We've discussed this before and I think someone even posted a picture of an original 'Haig Fund' one from the 1920's or 30's I think. There's nothing new under the sun. But I understand the recent addition of a leaf was in the early 1980's as I never had one like that when I was serving.

8. I think the leaf was just added when they decided to modernise the poppy.
    Bit like everything nowadays, HAS to be modernised.
    Like ancient laws on the line to the throne.
    Or gay people.

9. Poppy Scotland? Different design altogether

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Didn't this question come up last year? And the year before that?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Best never ask a question in case it's already been asked then.

12. Sound advice.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I miss my sharp pin poppy, althought i remember a sticker type one a few years back. Back of the Capbadge though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. we came across "haig" poppys last year when we sold all else,,they where dated 1986,, after that it was the "poppy appeal" when the first one came out it looked like a "real" poppy with all the bits and bobs (the bits the bees go for ) however i asked and was told by our RBL poppy seller (50 years of selling) that she remembers a leaf being put on in her 20s (shes 82 now)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.