RBL Poppy Appeal

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Jun 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I was just speaking to our local organiser in Cheshire. She tells me that lots of areas of the UK are short of collectors for this year's campaign. We all know what a good cause this is, and how much the funds are needed, now as always.

If any arrsers can spare time, in any capacity, please use the link above to register.

As Mr. Pontin said so famously 'Book Early'!!!

Thank you.
  2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Hi, RAFB ... that's a good call that deserves a BUMP.

As a lightly-tottering RBL drone here, I'm well aware that the majority of those who make Poppy Appeal happen are seriously elderly. I've recently been appointed "2i/c Island-wide Wreaths" to an 82 yo ex-Major, mainly just in case he falls off his perch or is unable to carry on.

You young bu66ers ... get out there and "Help The Aged" and the Royal British Legion [please] ;-)
  3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Why thank you Mr. Sophist. How lovely to be considered to be still in the flower of my youth!

The RBL were very quick to respond to my contact, and said exactly the same as you - many of their folk are retiring, and they need youngsters nationwide.

Go on, folks. You know you want to ..
  4. blue-sophist

Don't put words in my mouth :wink:

However, I'll guess you're under 65 ... which is what the RBL needs :D
  5. blue-sophist

I guess this message is worth a small bump ... ;-)
  6. Grownup_Rafbrat

Better have a Tuesday bump too.

Surely more people than B_S and I are interested in this topic!
  7. There are lots of us already on here but we always need more. Especially, a nice fit strapping lad for the girls to letch after perhaps? Shallow but true. The 80 year old guys just arent cutting it.
  8. Grownup_Rafbrat

Could be an interesting marketing campaign

'Sell poppies, find a fit bloke'.

Could work!
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Just received this reply;

Thank you very much for offering to help with the Poppy Appeal in Sussex . I will pass your details onto your local Poppy Appeal Organiser, who will contact you prior to the Poppy Appeal in November.

To give you a little background to the Poppy Appeal in Sussex . The County is divided into approximately 160 Districts each organised by a Poppy Appeal Organiser (PAO). Each PAO is responsible for the running the Appeal within their district. While we can only offer Poppies during the fortnight leading up to Remembrance Sunday, there is much to be done around this time. Trays and tins have to be prepared and distributed to all the collectors, shops, and offices etc who have agreed to help. Then after Remembrancetide all the trays and tins need to be collected in, counted and banked.

I hope this gives you an initial idea of what it is all about. All the money that is collected goes towards our welfare work, which supports the 13 million strong Ex-Service community. So just an hour or two of your time, during this period would be wonderful.

Should for any reason you fail to hear from your local Poppy Appeal Organiser by mid October then please do contact me. We would hate to lose your kind offer of support.

Thank you very much indeed for supporting the Poppy Appeal and for your very kind offer of assistance.

Helen Corrigan

Community Fundraiser Sussex

Poppy Collectors: Help us to keep our annual Poppy Appeal growing. Without volunteer collectors out there on the streets, without appeal organisers planning the collections, this great cause would grind to a halt. We urgently need to recruit more people as many of our current volunteers are retiring from active duty. Add to this the ever increasing demand on the Legion’s services and you can see we need your help more than ever.
  10. I never got a reply Ugly when I filled in the on-line thingy- that's not fair :(
  11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

PM me with where you are Poppy & I'll give you the local phone number.
  12. blue-sophist

Our local depot opens in just 2 months time ....

Any RAF folks on ARRSE might consider getting an RAF Poppy Pin from www.poppystore.org ... all proceeds to RBL, of course.

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Maybe I shouldnt have sent her the photos of you naked!
  14. I've been asked to do some leaflet distributing at the end of Aug/Sept and am in the OTC, chu reckon they'd want me in uniform?
  15. blue-sophist

Subject to your CO's approval, why not?

I doubt RBL would request it, but IMO it helps reinforce the on-going aspect of what Poppy is all about. Not just the Old Wars, or the Current Wars, but the Wars Yet To Come.