RBL Closing Large Number of Branches 2020

The Cheshires meet up in groups and In breakfast clubs. Also if a need is wanted there's folk in the regimental vets that come together. To give it.. no committee's. They all know each other or know others that do. Electric wheelchair. They have one in a few days. Help with the law. Again. Within a day sorted. Aftercare if needed. Sorted. I have seen both sides working.the Cheshires have it on the nail

It seems to me that there is a lot of private ex-Forces Clubs around that are surviving, I wonder why. Is it the politics of the Legion itself of the demands on it's members,

Id be interested to see their fees. Like any other club if people are prepare to pay it will generally be successful.

Far to many people in the RBL clubs think they can pay very little for a building upkeep then act surprised when it closes down.

Norfolkred1

Old-Salt
Id be interested to see their fees. Like any other club if people are prepare to pay it will generally be successful.

Far to many people in the RBL clubs think they can pay very little for a building upkeep then act surprised when it closes down.
I was a member of the Wymondham Club for years, it was a standard £10 a year membership with a well organised Committee who supported the Military and Vets all the way. The founder sated that as long as their was a military member or vet in the Club it would be known as an Ex Service Club,
The Last Post is a private venture open to all. The Owner has a passion for the Military and has Joanna Lumley as patron. She holds many functions and even has rooms sett aside for vets who need a boost through accommodation, a lot more than the Government do.

I was a member of the Wymondham Club for years, it was a standard £10 a year membership with a well organised Committee who supported the Military and Vets all the way. The founder sated that as long as their was a military member or vet in the Club it would be known as an Ex Service Club,
The Last Post is a private venture open to all. The Owner has a passion for the Military and has Joanna Lumley as patron. She holds many functions and even has rooms sett aside for vets who need a boost through accommodation, a lot more than the Government do.

Must be rolling in it if they can take a 4k hit

Norfolkred1

Old-Salt
Must be rolling in it if they can take a 4k hit

TBF that was all shoite and nothing was found. They do seem to get the odd trouble maker trying to bring them down for some reason. They are a well off Club by the way and have over a 1,000 members, they also do a lot self help with the upkeep and repairs.

TBF that was all shoite and nothing was found. They do seem to get the odd trouble maker trying to bring them down for some reason. They are a well off Club by the way and have over a 1,000 members, they also do a lot self help with the upkeep and repairs.

Plus Micheal Armstrong leaving them 10k.

I would suggest most RBL dont have 1000 members and dont have many helping with the upkeep and repairs.

I would suggest most RBL dont have 1000 members and dont have many helping with the upkeep and repairs.
Felixstowe RBL, used to have a large clientele and a number of Regts had their annual reunions there. Still didn’t stop it closing 18 months ago.
They had loads of military medal groups from past members, god knows what happened to that lot!

Felixstowe RBL, used to have a large clientele and a number of Regts had their annual reunions there. Still didn’t stop it closing 18 months ago.
They had loads of military medal groups from past members, god knows what happened to that lot!

Why did it close?

Sold, is the site housing yet? As the RBL forced all RBL clubs into handing over the deeds

Sold, is the site housing yet? As the RBL forced all RBL clubs into handing over the deeds

Except that never happened, but its a convenient excuse for the committees that ran the clubs into the ground.

Norfolkred1

Old-Salt

Michel Armstrong was in charge of the cinema where the club is housed. He was a top fella who supported the club wholeheartedly. He left the money in his will to the club. A lot of RBL's have beneficiaries leaving money in their wills.

CharleyBourne

Old-Salt
30 odd years ago I was in the TA and went with four or five others, all TA, to the local RBL for the first time for a few pints and a couple of games of snooker on a Sunday. We were sussing it out as a potential watering hole, knew the score, were sober, relatively neatly dressed and were signed in. Got drinks at the bar, nodded to the old and bold and had a quiet game of snooker. We went back into the bar/lounge and ordered another pint and sat down.

Immediately we started getting hard stares and comments like "Who do they think they are just coming in here" etc. We had been nothing but respectful and had thought they would have welcomed some new members but there you go. They were quick enough to make use of the TAC and our hospitality come Remembrance Day. Never went back and we spent all our money in pubs in town from thereon.

I'm an atheist but "As you sow, so shall you reap" is a good one to remember.

Last edited:
It seems to me that there is a lot of private ex-Forces Clubs around that are surviving, I wonder why. Is it the politics of the Legion itself of the demands on it's members,

One I know well in inner city Liverpool disaffiliated because of the politics and seems to stagger on better as a slightly faded private club than as a slightly faded RBL club.

Incidentally, as a social researcher I can't stress enough how much of a godsend these clubs are in providing secure venues for discreet chats about tough subjects. Every time an old favourite closes, I sadly have to start looking around for an alternative.

On the other hand, the research industry can't single-handedly keep RBLs/WMCs/Connie Clubs etc in business (although I am trying). They're often usefully located in some gritty places.

But then you sit there, at a table in an otherwise empty function room with about 150 seats, stage, 'Artiste's Entrance' and it's all very emblematic of a way of life that has gone, and where it's hanging on it's going.

Norfolkred1

Old-Salt
Mental note to self: pub to be avoided - I can smell the stale wee and hear the never-served bullshit.
Obviously you don't know this particular Club. It's well run and looks after all members where a majority are civvies, however there are a number of vets on the Committee and they have a great cleaner for the smell.

Obviously you don't know this particular Club. It's well run and looks after all members where a majority are civvies, however there are a number of vets on the Committee and they have a great cleaner for the smell.
I'm sure it has its supporters; mentally I'm not just there yet! I prefer to be around a more energetic crowd who have their own teeth.

Forget about being a community hub - in the vast majority of places that is long gone and it isn't coming back. Focus on a few core clubs - in London, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow, Belfast etc and make them places where ex-squaddies will want to drink and reminisce in, even if only a couple of times a year.

In London at least that's the Union Jack Club.

Latest Threads