RBL any takers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by DiDi, Jan 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if I am posting in the right place so bare with me.

Just lately I was at an RBL meeting where they were talking about recruiting people, looking around the room apart from me an a couple of other people, everyone else was over 65 in fact I would think the common age was nearer to 70.

So my question is this how many people on here are members of the RBL? and if you are not why not?
    because within the next 20 years or so all the good work the RBL does will come to a dead stop if younger people do not join.

2. I have been since I was 19,

3. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Good point and the same one was made to me last week. Yes I am a member but not of the local branch. Perhaps I should take a look.

4. I joined the RBL two years ago and although I still am a member I wouldnt go to any more meetings or to the legion itself again. I went a couple of times but found it to be very clicky even after attempting to make friends, and also found it pretty unwelcoming.

5. there are branches everywhere I know quite a few serving soldiers sign up at St James with the intention of moving to a local one when they come out but the ranks need young blood or at least younger blood

6. Started as a serving member and just carried it on when i left.

7. Joined a few years ago but never did nowt else, until a few months ago. I tipped up on the off-chance to a monthly meeting, which happened to be the AGM and managed to vote myself onto the commitee with 20 mins (Note to self, slow down next time solder)

There were a few my age (40 :wink: ) but as far as I know they're 'family of' rather than ex military. Strange thing is when I introduced myself the branch all knew me, or at least of me, apparently I'd been sent meeting agenda's and minutes for two years but I never received a thing. I had to explain this otherwise they must have thought I was right ignorant twat.

I don't go there socially. maybe soon and I'd say the average age for branch members is 50-60. I've since asked several ex army mates who live local and none of them are members. Reading the literature that the legion send out, they're acutely aware that if numbers don't pick up, within a decade or two it'll be purely non-military that make up the numbers and/or make it un-viable to keep the clubs open for small branches.

8. The RBL has for many years been the main meeting place for those guys who served in the 2nd WW and seemed to me on the many occasions I went to the clubs as a bit sniffy of the modern soldier. The problem is with many of these clubs is that time has taken its toll and they need to recruit younger members otherwise they will close. Unless their attitude has changed and they reflect a more modern approach I fear they are doomed to fade away, sadly like our old soldiers. Still wish the RBL the best of luck, mainly as Im a member

9. Agree with that bossdog, i have been a non attending member for over 10 years, paid the subs because i appreciate what they do, i decided on moving here (Lincolnshire) to attend the monthly meetings, went twice and binned it ! no- one made any effort to meet and greet a stranger, v. very clicky. i will stick to my local then at least the pub greyhound gives me a sniff on arrival :?

10. I am a member of a national branch
    Royal British legion Riders

We are all motorcyclists and attend branches/events all over the UK

New members are always welcome

11. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

The problem with a lot of RBL clubs is exactly the same as the problem with this site. Full of never-served-a-day civvies who think their "opinion" of the forces is better than actually serving.

12. Yes the RBL can be unwelcoming and doesn't particularly attract or open its doors readily to young people, as related in several Southwest clubs. A little stuffy in some parts, exclusive even, and some members have never even served 8O

Not to denigrate the work done by volunteer caseworkers nor the funding, help, and information the RBL provides to the needy. An entirely different case.

13. My local branch fully fits all the issues raised above. Full of "wives or families of" mixed with a very few old and bold and NO youngsters. I was the youngest on Parade at Remembrance and I'm north of 50. My particular branch also has no money as it never had premises and a bar to make a profit - always meets in a local Hotel. I did a year on the Committee but I gave it up when we got complaints that the annual coach trip had gone up from £3.50 to £5.00. and similar sniping. That, a raffle where donated prizes worth a couple of hundred quid went for £34 ...and to cap it all a Dance where the band outnumbered the participants.....and then the next year the marketing plan was once again only "to sell tickets on the door"

Enough is enough. The RBL is a great idea but most branches appear to need a management coup by a huge influx of youngsters who have actually served - where the hell are all the Op Banner generation ? - That and a "retire at 70 or after 5 years on the Committee" type regulation.

14. It is sad to see the negative answers, I know it cannot always be easy to join a new group and for want of a better word infiltrate it but isn't it a matter of perseverance, come on guys you are the British army a few clique old guys shouldn't be putting you off, take a mate or two.

I have to say my local branch made me and a friend very welcome whether that is because we are women or we reduced the common age by about 25 years I dont know, but go for it guys you might enjoy it

15. Everytime I have tried to go into the branch near my outlaws, I have been looked at as if I have 2 heads!

This is disbite the fact I am a member and have my MOD 90 on show.

Most of the fcukers in there have not served, why should I bother to try and help them out?