RB44 --are they really as bad as people say ?

The RB44's seem to have a bad reputation in the forces to say the least.

Apart from the early veering problem and the transmission swaps -- are they really that bad ?

Any experiences actually driving them off-road or maintaining them?

We're considering buying one, upping the tyre/rim size and using it as a no-frills support vehicle in sand. Should we just forget the idea?

beastof said:
The RB44's seem to have a bad reputation in the forces to say the least.

Apart from the early veering problem and the transmission swaps -- are they really that bad ?

Any experiences actually driving them off-road or maintaining them?

We're considering buying one, upping the tyre/rim size and using it as a no-frills support vehicle in sand. Should we just forget the idea?
That bad :x even worse mate, would not volunteer to drive one on a good road never mind off road, one of the worst vehicles I have ever driven, have at times been given the choice of an RB or take an old bedford the bedford won every time!!!! I have taken them off road now and again but not through choice

The w4nker that decided that the army should buy RB44 should have been taken out and shot.
Vehicle is totally sh1te, it is a bitch to work on (we used to play rock, paper, scissors to see who had the joy of working on them) and feels like you are driving a shopping trolley with a slight margin of control when going cross country.
Thats just my opinion though, but i would be suprised if there was anyone that had a good word to say about it.

I was told by an instructor in Bordon on my upgrader in '95 that we'd better have a good look at the one they had there as we'd never see one in the field force they were that bad. Since then I've heard nothing but bad things about them, especially the braking system.

Hang on Spanner Spanker, check fire!!! A shopping trolley in fact has a turning circle smaller than the QE2, unlike the RB44, slightly unfair on the trolleys I think :?

LOL Bit of a donkey then?

Shame, because on paper they sound great - Perkins Phaser, lowish kerb weight, loads of space in the back, Dana axles... etc. And cheap as chips ex-MOD!

I spoken to a couple of civilian owners who swear by them - maybe that's down to the 'eye of the beholder' syndrom?

Looked at the Bedfords and Dafs - too big. 110's too small. Pinz - too complicated/expensive...

beastof said:
LOL Bit of a donkey then?

Shame, because on paper they sound great - Perkins Phaser, lowish kerb weight, loads of space in the back, Dana axles... etc. And cheap as chips ex-MOD!
I am lead to believe that the last company to make/refurbish the brake servos no longer does so, so as they wear out, you have to start cannibalising.

Judging by the state of the ones at my TAC, I suspect any ex-MOD ones are going to be rust buckets.

msr

Utterly, utterly useless. To bad for even RAF service. I know of a Gunner unit that refused to operate them as they were deemed unsafe.

Yes, whoever procured them should be shot.

msr said:
I am lead to believe that the last company to make/refurbish the brake servos no longer does so, so as they wear out, you have to start cannibalising.

msr
That might explain all the 'parts removed' lots hitting auction now.

Thanks to everyone for all the input on this, its been hard finding details of what exactly is so wrong with the things.

A lot of lemons can be transformed by aftermarket fixes or component transplants - I was musing whether this could be done with the RB44. We do extensive work before our trips anyway and the low pricetag leaves space in the budget.

Darthspud said:
what about 127 Landrover as an alternative to the RB44?

Darthspud
We normally use a Rover - but need a 2T capacity this time.

In true procurement style of the day, the reasonable brakes provided on the prototypes (based on a Renault IIRC?) were apparently replaced with the cheapest possible alternatives, allegedly made of old peppreoni pizza and folded cardboard.

If my failing memory serves, the whole fleet spent 18 months VOR as the braking system was judged to be too poor to use?

Luckily, things have moved on, and it's no longer about just saving a few quid eher and there. Troop safety and comfort have priority.

As msr says, you cannot get brake servos, or so we are told. I suspect the same will shortly be true of other key components.

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
I drove a couple - and can confirm that the brakes were so bad, you needed to be psychic in order to apply them early enough.

Remember safety in an RB44 - "Only a fool breaks the 2 minutes 33 seconds rule"

A piece of cack indeed.

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
It was 1997ish I last drove one, so a little fuzzy on the exact nightmares with it. The brakes I remember with horror - utterly useless, definately dangerous - especially if towing anything.

Seem to remember it was a turd to get in reverse as well.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

We used to have problems with them jumping out of reverse and 2nd.
Plus if you need to do any basic maintenance, with the RB44 it isnt basic, it is fcuking arrse and is pretty much a given it will ruin your day due to how p1ssed off you will get.