Raymond Baxter dies.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Awol, Sep 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sqn Ldr at 18........

Anyone who drove a Spitfire in the battle of Britain is worthy of a raised glass.

I always remember him as the voice of the Farnborough air Show as a kid.

RIP mate, go easy
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Sad news but one hell of a life.
  3. Great, great bloke
    If I can have half the life you had....

God rest
  4. Absolutely - a Spitfire pilot and MiD twice.

I saw some film of him describing how in 1945 his Sqn flew ground attack against the German V2 sites in Holland. With typical modesty described how he engaged a flak site whilst his wingman had a pop at a V2 that had just past through the centre of his gunsite as it launched!
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

6. Alleged PPrune contributor and a great bloke to talk to.

I always remember when the BBC tried to change the commentator for IAT to Chris Serle who soon showed he was a knob around aviation, so they bought back the man who could understand Pilots to commentate on them. I loved watching the way even current FJ mates deferred to him, and he always asked the right questions, to fire up the pilots he interviewed about what they flew, and translate it into exciting 'must do that' for schoolboys of all ages. His deep joy around aviation , and his infectious enthusiasm was wonderful to see.

Though I still remember the Goodies 'string' episode :D

Always remember the story of the attack on the Shell-Mex building in a Spit at FL f**k-all , in which Baxter not only narrowly missed a Chuch spire on the run in , but also , on spotting a V2 in the process of launching decided to brass it up. As he put it "It could have been quite embarrassing for us if I had hit it"

Great late war snippet from the Telegraph

Very saddened by this , but a mark of the style of the man to go out on Battle of Britain day .....
  7. RIP Mr Baxter - nearly caused me to join the RAF.
  8. I remember you on Tomorrows World .....and now you have gone to the other world...

9. Remember his commentary on air shows as a child, inspired my love of military aviation.

Also his stint on Tomorrow's World.

RIP Mr. Baxter
  10. A gent a scholar and a genuine hero !!

Sadly missed. RIP Raymond
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We all go in time, but he was one of the people that brought the fighter plane to the mere masses - and made them understand it!

He will be missed by me and many others.
  12. RIP to the man who had me riveted to my telly, and got me interested in science.
  13. A very evocative voice.

14. RIP, one commentator you could listen to and know that he knew his business [​IMG]