Ray-Ban Repair

My 10 year old Ray-Bans suffered a frame failure the other day:

shades.JPG

As you can see, it's a clean break. I've contacted Ray-Ban about this but sadly, given their age, they are out of spares but kindly gave me a 30% off voucher for a new pair from their online store.
Sadly, not only does their store seem to be 30% more expensive than re-sellers, but I'm not to keen on any of the current designs, and I only really wear these for driving.
The only alternative I can think of is to get a jewelers to weld the break, but I'm not sure if this would hold at all.
So, any other suggestions on how I could fix this? Would any of those 'liquid metal' type bonding agents work?
Any ideas gratefully received.

Yes (bear with me) their is this new type of glue, which requires a form of light to set the glue off. It works great on this type of job. You will either have to Google it or wait for a fellow Arrser to put a name to that which I am speaking off.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
My 10 year old Ray-Bans suffered a frame failure the other day:

View attachment 388679

As you can see, it's a clean break. I've contacted Ray-Ban about this but sadly, given their age, they are out of spares but kindly gave me a 30% off voucher for a new pair from their online store.
Sadly, not only does their store seem to be 30% more expensive than re-sellers, but I'm not to keen on any of the current designs, and I only really wear these for driving.
The only alternative I can think of is to get a jewelers to weld the break, but I'm not sure if this would hold at all.
So, any other suggestions on how I could fix this? Would any of those 'liquid metal' type bonding agents work?
Any ideas gratefully received.
Depending on the width/strength of the frame you could drill and pin it using super glue to get the hit to hold it in place while an epoxy type adhesive sets for the long term strength

Come on holiday to one of the Spanish Costas. Plenty of looky looky men flogging Roy Bins, Ray Bens and so on for a tenner.
Pick up a nice Rojex watch at the same time, all guaranteed until you get to the car park.

Loctite light cure adhesives. Plenty of different manufacturers out there just google UV cure adhesive.

Thanks everyone, I'll do some shopping around tomorrow :)

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
@Speedy, I don't know whether you've actually considered it, but any competent optician should be able to weld your frame back together. I say that because one of my brothers is an optician and he's a dab-hand at welding broken-off bridge-pieces back on, as well as the pad-support retainers that stop your specs from irritating your nose.

MsG

**UPDATE**
I got them fixed the other week.
After a day of trudging around various opticians they all said that they no longer did solder repairs as if they fail, the customer comes back and insist they keep fixing them.
One high street optician directed me to a local jewelers who did it for the princely sum of £30 and a 5 working day turnaround. So far they have held up well. The jeweler also said it's about an 80% chance they will hold in the long term.
I have also used the 30% off voucher to order a pair of these for day to day use (the broken - now repaired - ones will be used for driving glasses) - https://www.ray-ban.com/uk/sunglasses/RB3183 MALE 017-rb3183-black/805289018940
All for £82 with the discount. I'm a happy teddy bear now :)

Bin them and get a pair of Randolph. Much more robust than the fashionista item and better lenses.

Latest Threads