Raw Recruits Squaddies at 16 - 2019

Channel 5 . . . Mon 7 Jan 2019, 10pm (and subsequent weeks).

Episode 1

Raw Recruits: Squaddies At 16 - Channel 5

I have never been a fan of the perverse principle of “Learn by your mistakes”. Their first 24hr in “the field” (actually a wood!), was dire and miserable - with continual rain. I was disappointed by the reaction of the OC, who deigned to appear for a “walk round” on the morning. He commented that the clutter, chaos, of all the recruits now soaking and mucky personal kit, inside the wet and muddy “bashers”, would be how he imagined their bedroom floors to be at home. I am pretty certain it would have been a better learning experience, and appreciated more, if they had been warned/told how to look after kit BEFORE the exercise.

The attitude of a couple of parents, surprised and disappointed me:

(1). The father of the “switched-on” fair-haired lass. He was crying down the phone to her, that he was missing her . . . AND WANTED HER TO COME HOME! . . . W.T.F.

(2). The father of the habitually meek and timid wee mite, that was medically rejected (something wrong with her shins?). She had hoped to enlist to boost her self confidence, and if she could/can acknowledge that, it was disappointing the lack of support/sympathy coming from her father.

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wonder how many 'snowflakes' will be featured?

WolvoExPunk

On ROPS
On ROPs
I felt sorry for the little girl with the shin splints. Who did her pre-join medical? WTF were they thinking of, recruiting someone who's military career will be 1 day? She could have turned down a job or a college place, which she isn't gonna get back, for one poxy day of service.

Her dad had a right to be annoyed. But he was wrong to take it out on the poor lass. It is exactly the same score as the old BBC The Paras episode 1, where a lad was binned the first week, for high blood pressure, and had given up his job in a high area of unemployment, to enlist. The OC was doing his nut cos they had lost someone and could not get a replacement.

I thought by now, the medicals would have weeded out those who wont get past the first few days.

Not sure I’ve ever seen an Army documentary with quite so much crying and tears.

If anyone watched tonight's episode and wondered who write the letter the DS read in Normandy, it was written by Rfn Cyrus Thatcher, KIA in Afghanistan.

Its an utterly astonishing read that brings me to tears every time I read it.

Here it is, in full.

'Hello mum, this is going to be hard for you to read ...'

I met his mum a couple of years ago and told her I honestly believe it'll be remembered and read for many, many years to come.

If Fishwick(?) does leave . . . to try nursing . . . it will be a shame. She seems to be a very sensible girl. I was disappointed that the Sgt didn't mention the Army's medical services, to her.

As mentioned in the first post, her dad confirmed the initial impression, that he is a right dick! :( .

Schmoe

War Hero
If anyone watched tonight's episode and wondered who write the letter the DS read in Normandy, it was written by Rfn Cyrus Thatcher, KIA in Afghanistan.

Here it is, in full.

I met his mum a couple of years ago and told her I honestly believe it'll be remembered and read for many, many years to come.
That’s a difficult read, was a bit blurry.

Did anyone else notice the guy with anger issues sliding his feet in navy style when he reported to the platoon office?

Did anyone else notice the guy with anger issues sliding his feet in navy style when he reported to the platoon office?
On seeing the first 3 episodes------- I reckon he's done enough stamping of feet.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
FMJ.jpg
FMJ2.jpg

Here it is, in full.

Thank you!

Must dust the gaff tomorrow.

TamH70

MIA
Would you give this man a firearm?

Private Pyle?
Private Pyle's drills were fairly good, though. One round, centre of mass, took out his D.I.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not sure I’ve ever seen an Army documentary with quite so much crying and tears.
I think the cameraman/director have tear-detectors so when one starts down someone's cheek the camera is to four inches from their face!

Things certainly have changed and juniors in my day were so much different. Any tears were under the blankets at night, there was nowhere near as much swearing and we did not get off home on leave once 'passed off the square' which is what these guys were doing. The biggest change is we stopped calling out the time.

As for tabbing in to the Pl Comd's office - these kids are just wandering in. A lot more relaxed but as I say different days. I certainly don't recall anyone going to the Pl Sgt/Comd and saying 'JPte So-and-so has been nasty to us.'. Anything like that was dealt with "in house".

I think the army PR team need to get a grip of themselves. This is another programme made where every tear, swearword, ****-up is caught on camera, picking on the weak individuals making it look like the army are only recruiting weak people.

The DS are not exactly coming over as shining examples of army NCOs either, especially the AAC cpl and the female cpl. The Pl Sgt from the Scots Guards is coming over very well and is more like the SNCOs I had in juniors.

I think the cameraman/director have tear-detectors so when one starts down someone's cheek the camera is to four inches from their face!

Things certainly have changed and juniors in my day were so much different. Any tears were under the blankets at night, there was nowhere near as much swearing and we did not get off home on leave once 'passed off the square' which is what these guys were doing. The biggest change is we stopped calling out the time.

As for tabbing in to the Pl Comd's office - these kids are just wandering in. A lot more relaxed but as I say different days. I certainly don't recall anyone going to the Pl Sgt/Comd and saying 'JPte So-and-so has been nasty to us.'. Anything like that was dealt with "in house".

I think the army PR team need to get a grip of themselves. This is another programme made where every tear, swearword, ****-up is caught on camera, picking on the weak individuals making it look like the army are only recruiting weak people.

The DS are not exactly coming over as shining examples of army NCOs either, especially the AAC cpl and the female cpl. The Pl Sgt from the Scots Guards is coming over very well and is more like the SNCOs I had in juniors.
This isn't a programme designed as PR for the Army, it's designed to entertain civilians.

Latest Threads