Rattling tins in uniform!

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Queensman, Dec 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just walked past Tesco's in Salisbury, something I tend to do quite quickly - the covered frontage is normally a haven for mis-shapen, overweight, poorly dressed and ugly tattooed teenage single mothers and their vile families - to be confronted by half a dozen young members of the Royal Regiment of Artillery shaking Help for Heroes tins and Army Benevolent Fund buckets. Coupled with this, inside the shop each till had a soldier at the end of the thing packing the customers bags.

Is it me? - Should soldiers be doing this in uniform during the working day?

Hard to know what to think - I'm a supporter of both charities - but I didn't look right to me.

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Same at Tesco in Barnstaple by RM.

3. Soldiers collecting for a military charity? Whatever next?

What is the problem. collecting for charity and showing the uniform off in public - doing good deeds. Didn't that used to be that called KAPE?

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'd say it was but helping ourselves in the long run. You know the government isn't going to stump up so why not protect our interests by promoting these charities..

Well done to whichever CO it was that allowed it to happen.

5. All sounds a bit girl guides to me.

6. Wind your neck in sonny until you've got some time in.

7. Pfft wind my neck in, it’s just a bit of banter and this is exactly what girl guides do!

8. Raises the profile of the Army in a positive way, as well as raising money for worthy causes. Seems in principle like a good thing to me. In my (inexperienced) opinion getting out into the community with uniform on is vital to ensure civilian familiarity with the army, instead of regarding it as a mysterious organisation.

On another note a UOTC put out collectors in uniform for Remembrance Sunday and they raised a record amount. I do not believe that the civvie view of the army is anywhere near as bad as it's portrayed; it's just there isn't really enough opportunity for the average person to demonstrate it.

9. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Whilst a SNCO in Kirton In Lyndsey I organised a car wash in Selby just after the floods, the proceeds of this went to funding members of the Bty on a trip to Thailand, whilst there the graves from some of soldiers who built the railway were tended by the troops

10. Over the summer I went up to visit a friend in Newcastle (well, Morpeth) and some Fusiliers were doing the same thing. I think the fact they were all in combat uniform, with hackles on their berets and all attracted donations. At the time it's appropriateness didn't occur to me, I felt what was more important was whether I made a donation or not, which is all that mattered. Why put one soldier on the store entrance when you can put one on the end of each checkout?

11. Having typed out the start of this thread my curiosity got the better of me - I've just walked back past Tesco's and went and had a chat to the lads concerned.

I can report as follows: The chaps are from the Gunner Training Regiment at Larkhill (presumably what used to be at Woolwich). Their Company Sar'nt Major came up with the cunning plan! (He was lurking inside the shop in the warm!)

Fair play to them. Good causes. But it still seems a bit odd - it's like they're collecting for themselves, if you see what I mean.

12. The motivation behind a lot of charity work is the cause you collect for has had some personal bearing on your own life or those that you know. Not so odd really.

13. It regularlyn happens at M & S near Camberley. It can be a bit excessive. Recently a former para was collecting outside for the RBL. Immediately inside were two soldiers collecting for breast cancer (are you guys developing man-boobs?) and more soldiers at the check-out. I thought "one charity at a time chaps".

14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Over £2000 collected in the two days. Well done boys.

15. I have collected outside Port Vale's ground in uniform - after hours but I'd gladly do it during the day!