• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Rattlesnake by Michael Yon

#1
http://67.192.120.151/index.php?opt...:rattlesnake&catid=63:archive-2007&Itemid=108

Ask a combat soldier a question, you get an answer. Ask the soldier next to him the same question, you get a different answer. There is wide and vibrant opinion among British soldiers and it runs the gamut from frustration with local mentalities that cling to futile violence...
Local mentalities that cling to futile violence... Well said.

the Brits allowed me on another mission, this time a hunt for the terrorists who had planted those bombs... Three British units would be taking part in the hunt: the Royal Tank Regiment, infantry from the Duke of Lancasters, and from the Yorkshire Regiment. I would be with C Company of the Duke of Lancasters
...
To keep surprise, LTC Mark Kenyon dispatched a platoon of 26 men from the Duke of Lancasters Regiment. Major Ian Crowley was tasked to lead the group closer. As the platoon dismounted in darkness...
...
At night, in Iraq, if a man is digging a hole on or near a road, he can be shot without warning. The special operations soldiers call these hole-diggers “pipe swingers.” Pipe swingers are generally just hired labor. It is important to stop pipe swingers, but they are as plentiful and easy for the enemy to replace as the frogs in this marsh.
...
even the best-intended soldier or pilot could attack friendly troops or innocent civilians. Mistakes are especially likely when the soldier who sees the potential for target misidentification is lower ranking than the officer making the judgment, as the soldiers of Company C were about to demonstrate.

When Lance Corporal David Radford emerged from the murk, likely he did not know my video was running. Corporal Radford approached Major Crowley to caution that, due to distance, the Javelin team could not clearly identify what the men “out there” were doing. “That doesn’t matter.” Answered Major Crowley, “If Kilo Four-Four [aircraft] identifies it and we identify the people, we can fire.”
...
Jav 1 got a target solution on the three men hiding behind a building, apparently with the command wire to blow up our vehicles, and Jav 2 got a target solution on perhaps ten men north of Silver.
...
The platoon seemed to have done this hundreds of times, but in fact none of them had ever launched a real Javelin, having only used simulators. The soldiers later told me with satisfaction that the trainer simulation was nearly identical to the real conditions of combat.
 
#2
KGB_resident said:
http://67.192.120.151/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=303:rattlesnake&catid=63:archive-2007&Itemid=108

Ask a combat soldier a question, you get an answer. Ask the soldier next to him the same question, you get a different answer. There is wide and vibrant opinion among British soldiers and it runs the gamut from frustration with local mentalities that cling to futile violence...
Local mentalities that cling to futile violence... Well said.

the Brits allowed me on another mission, this time a hunt for the terrorists who had planted those bombs... Three British units would be taking part in the hunt: the Royal Tank Regiment, infantry from the Duke of Lancasters, and from the Yorkshire Regiment. I would be with C Company of the Duke of Lancasters
...
To keep surprise, LTC Mark Kenyon dispatched a platoon of 26 men from the Duke of Lancasters Regiment. Major Ian Crowley was tasked to lead the group closer. As the platoon dismounted in darkness...
...
At night, in Iraq, if a man is digging a hole on or near a road, he can be shot without warning. The special operations soldiers call these hole-diggers “pipe swingers.” Pipe swingers are generally just hired labor. It is important to stop pipe swingers, but they are as plentiful and easy for the enemy to replace as the frogs in this marsh.
...
even the best-intended soldier or pilot could attack friendly troops or innocent civilians. Mistakes are especially likely when the soldier who sees the potential for target misidentification is lower ranking than the officer making the judgment, as the soldiers of Company C were about to demonstrate.

When Lance Corporal David Radford emerged from the murk, likely he did not know my video was running. Corporal Radford approached Major Crowley to caution that, due to distance, the Javelin team could not clearly identify what the men “out there” were doing. “That doesn’t matter.” Answered Major Crowley, “If Kilo Four-Four [aircraft] identifies it and we identify the people, we can fire.”
...
Jav 1 got a target solution on the three men hiding behind a building, apparently with the command wire to blow up our vehicles, and Jav 2 got a target solution on perhaps ten men north of Silver.
...
The platoon seemed to have done this hundreds of times, but in fact none of them had ever launched a real Javelin, having only used simulators. The soldiers later told me with satisfaction that the trainer simulation was nearly identical to the real conditions of combat.
Sergey, Why you haven't earned an O2 thief tag at this point is beyond me.

What exactly is it you are trying to do with this post? It's obviously to incite some sort of emotional response from the forum.

Many of the soldiers on ARRSE know exactly who Michael Yon is and are very familiar with his work, and many have contributed to his site.

To take two lines at a time out of context and try and make them appear to have alternative meaning is low, even for you Sergey.

What about this dispatch about the Brits?

During the third entry, the terrorists were not home, but a woman and two small children were obviously present. 5 Platoon did not throw flashbangs, and their touch was so light that the small children did not cry.

But that light touch was reserved for women and children only, as “The Rifles” would soon demonstrate. With the raids on house targets completed, a new phase of the plan unfolded and the drama really began.
http://67.192.120.151/index.php?opt...-an-american&catid=63:archive-2007&Itemid=108
 
#3
ghost_us said:
KGB_resident said:
http://67.192.120.151/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=303:rattlesnake&catid=63:archive-2007&Itemid=108

Ask a combat soldier a question, you get an answer. Ask the soldier next to him the same question, you get a different answer. There is wide and vibrant opinion among British soldiers and it runs the gamut from frustration with local mentalities that cling to futile violence...
Local mentalities that cling to futile violence... Well said.

the Brits allowed me on another mission, this time a hunt for the terrorists who had planted those bombs... Three British units would be taking part in the hunt: the Royal Tank Regiment, infantry from the Duke of Lancasters, and from the Yorkshire Regiment. I would be with C Company of the Duke of Lancasters
...
To keep surprise, LTC Mark Kenyon dispatched a platoon of 26 men from the Duke of Lancasters Regiment. Major Ian Crowley was tasked to lead the group closer. As the platoon dismounted in darkness...
...
At night, in Iraq, if a man is digging a hole on or near a road, he can be shot without warning. The special operations soldiers call these hole-diggers “pipe swingers.” Pipe swingers are generally just hired labor. It is important to stop pipe swingers, but they are as plentiful and easy for the enemy to replace as the frogs in this marsh.
...
even the best-intended soldier or pilot could attack friendly troops or innocent civilians. Mistakes are especially likely when the soldier who sees the potential for target misidentification is lower ranking than the officer making the judgment, as the soldiers of Company C were about to demonstrate.

When Lance Corporal David Radford emerged from the murk, likely he did not know my video was running. Corporal Radford approached Major Crowley to caution that, due to distance, the Javelin team could not clearly identify what the men “out there” were doing. “That doesn’t matter.” Answered Major Crowley, “If Kilo Four-Four [aircraft] identifies it and we identify the people, we can fire.”
...
Jav 1 got a target solution on the three men hiding behind a building, apparently with the command wire to blow up our vehicles, and Jav 2 got a target solution on perhaps ten men north of Silver.
...
The platoon seemed to have done this hundreds of times, but in fact none of them had ever launched a real Javelin, having only used simulators. The soldiers later told me with satisfaction that the trainer simulation was nearly identical to the real conditions of combat.
Sergey, Why you haven't earned an O2 thief tag at this point is beyond me.

What exactly is it you are trying to do with this post? It's obviously to incite some sort of emotional response from the forum.

Many of the soldiers on ARRSE know exactly who Michael Yon is and are very familiar with his work, and many have contributed to his site.

To take two lines at a time out of context and try and make them appear to have alternative meaning is low, even for you Sergey.
Ghost, I have quoted mr.Yon. You made it many times. So something that is right for you is not right for me. But why? The only my words in the post are 'well said'.

As for alternative meaning then everybody is free to have his own opinion. It is a freedom of speech.

ghost_us said:
What about this dispatch about the Brits?

During the third entry, the terrorists were not home, but a woman and two small children were obviously present. 5 Platoon did not throw flashbangs, and their touch was so light that the small children did not cry.

But that light touch was reserved for women and children only, as “The Rifles” would soon demonstrate. With the raids on house targets completed, a new phase of the plan unfolded and the drama really began.
http://67.192.120.151/index.php?opt...-an-american&catid=63:archive-2007&Itemid=108
I'm not surprised at all. British troops demonstrated high professionalism and humanity. Their carefull attitude toward children and women in conditions of mortal threat is obvious. It is a good example that young soldiers should follow.
 
#4
Sergey, are you Mr Yon's publicist? because like ghost i can see no reason for the post; its very random.
 
#6
KGB_resident said:
ghost_us said:
KGB_resident said:
http://67.192.120.151/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=303:rattlesnake&catid=63:archive-2007&Itemid=108

Ask a combat soldier a question, you get an answer. Ask the soldier next to him the same question, you get a different answer. There is wide and vibrant opinion among British soldiers and it runs the gamut from frustration with local mentalities that cling to futile violence...
Local mentalities that cling to futile violence... Well said.

the Brits allowed me on another mission, this time a hunt for the terrorists who had planted those bombs... Three British units would be taking part in the hunt: the Royal Tank Regiment, infantry from the Duke of Lancasters, and from the Yorkshire Regiment. I would be with C Company of the Duke of Lancasters
...
To keep surprise, LTC Mark Kenyon dispatched a platoon of 26 men from the Duke of Lancasters Regiment. Major Ian Crowley was tasked to lead the group closer. As the platoon dismounted in darkness...
...
At night, in Iraq, if a man is digging a hole on or near a road, he can be shot without warning. The special operations soldiers call these hole-diggers “pipe swingers.” Pipe swingers are generally just hired labor. It is important to stop pipe swingers, but they are as plentiful and easy for the enemy to replace as the frogs in this marsh.
...
even the best-intended soldier or pilot could attack friendly troops or innocent civilians. Mistakes are especially likely when the soldier who sees the potential for target misidentification is lower ranking than the officer making the judgment, as the soldiers of Company C were about to demonstrate.

When Lance Corporal David Radford emerged from the murk, likely he did not know my video was running. Corporal Radford approached Major Crowley to caution that, due to distance, the Javelin team could not clearly identify what the men “out there” were doing. “That doesn’t matter.” Answered Major Crowley, “If Kilo Four-Four [aircraft] identifies it and we identify the people, we can fire.”
...
Jav 1 got a target solution on the three men hiding behind a building, apparently with the command wire to blow up our vehicles, and Jav 2 got a target solution on perhaps ten men north of Silver.
...
The platoon seemed to have done this hundreds of times, but in fact none of them had ever launched a real Javelin, having only used simulators. The soldiers later told me with satisfaction that the trainer simulation was nearly identical to the real conditions of combat.
Sergey, Why you haven't earned an O2 thief tag at this point is beyond me.

What exactly is it you are trying to do with this post? It's obviously to incite some sort of emotional response from the forum.

Many of the soldiers on ARRSE know exactly who Michael Yon is and are very familiar with his work, and many have contributed to his site.

To take two lines at a time out of context and try and make them appear to have alternative meaning is low, even for you Sergey.
Ghost, I have quoted mr.Yon. You made it many times. So something that is right for you is not right for me. But why? The only my words in the post are 'well said'.

As for alternative meaning then everybody is free to have his own opinion. It is a freedom of speech.

ghost_us said:
What about this dispatch about the Brits?

During the third entry, the terrorists were not home, but a woman and two small children were obviously present. 5 Platoon did not throw flashbangs, and their touch was so light that the small children did not cry.

But that light touch was reserved for women and children only, as “The Rifles” would soon demonstrate. With the raids on house targets completed, a new phase of the plan unfolded and the drama really began.
http://67.192.120.151/index.php?opt...-an-american&catid=63:archive-2007&Itemid=108
I'm not surprised at all. British troops demonstrated high professionalism and humanity. Their carefull attitude toward children and women in conditions of mortal threat is obvious. It is a good example that young soldiers should follow.
It's only freedom of speech because this site is based in the UK I'm afraid.

You are very free to say whatever you wish, but also, anyone else is free to condemn what you have to say. That's the nature of a democracy.

However, you are practicing:

Crash Course in KGB/SVR/FSB Disinformation and Active Measures


"On the other hand -- and this is the other side of the Soviet intelligence, very important: perhaps I would describe it as the heart and soul of the Soviet intelligence -- was subversion. Not intelligence collection, but subversion: active measures to weaken the West, to drive wedges in the Western community alliances of all sorts, particularly NATO, to sow discord among allies, to weaken the United States in the eyes of the people of Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, and thus to prepare ground in case the war really occurs. To make America more vulnerable to the anger and distrust of other peoples."

"In that sense, the Soviet intelligence [was] really unparalleled. ... The [KGB] programs -- which would run all sorts of congresses, peace congresses, youth congresses, festivals, women's movements, trade union movements, campaigns against U.S. missiles in Europe, campaigns against neutron weapons, allegations that AIDS ... was invented by the CIA ... all sorts of forgeries and faked material -- [were] targeted at politicians, the academic community, at [the] public at large."

"It was really a worldwide campaign, often not only sponsored and funded, but conducted and manipulated by the KGB. And this was again part and parcel of this campaign to weaken [the] military, economic and psychological climate in the West."...

The below goals of Soviet Communist disinformation and active measures was published 22 years ago in "Dezinformatsia: Active Measures in Soviet Strategy" by Richard Shultz and Roy Godson, 1984, page 44. It is interesting to note how certain groups and organizations (influenced by foreign intelligence services or other foreign entities?) in today's world continue these goals against the US.

1. To influence America, European and world public opinion to believe that US military and political policies are the major cause of international conflict and crisis.
2. To demonstrate that the United States is an aggressive, militaristic, and imperialistic power.
3. To isolate the United States from its friends and allies, and to discredit those states which cooperate with the United States.
4. To discredit US military and intelligence establishments.
5. To demonstrate that the policies and objectives of the United States are incompatible with those of the under-developed nations.
6. To confuse world public opinion concerning Soviet global ambitions, creating a favorable environment for Soviet foreign policy.

KGB active measures techniques included the use of agents of influence, forgeries, covert media placements, and controlled media to covertly introduce carefully crafted arguments, information, disinformation, and slogans into the discourse in government, media, religious, business, economic, and public arenas in targeted countries. These operations were characterized as "black" because the Soviet role was totally concealed. These KGB operations were carried out by members of line PR (political intelligence) in Soviet residencies, the KGB units in Soviet embassies in foreign countries. According to Gordievsky, line PR officers were supposed to spend about 25 percent of their time on active measures operations.
Sergey, your actions on these forums are right in line with this.

The "what, who me? act has no one fooled".


http://cicentre.com/disinformation.htm
 
#8
Ghost, why do you so nervous? Show me please what is namely wrong in my posts on this thread.
 
#9
KGB_resident said:
Ghost, why do you so nervous? Show me please what is namely wrong in my posts on this thread.
I'm not nervous at all. Quite relaxed drinking my tea as a matter of fact.

Instead of asking me why I think your post is an attempt at disinformation, perhaps enlighten us as to why you thought to paraphrase Mr Yon and share only the bits like "At night, in Iraq, if a man is digging a hole on or near a road, he can be shot without warning."

Why did you find this particular article so interesting and that you felt you needed to comment on the one half sentence "local mentalities that cling to futile violence..." and then continue on to edit the story as to seemingly change the context with no explanation as to why you posted it?

So again, other than you wanted to say "Local mentalities that cling to futile violence... Well said." You went well beyond that and use it as a pretext to
post what you really wanted to say.

On a different note. why would it be so absurd that FSB has active operations against the US on one of it's allies unofficial military web forums?

I don't doubt that there are many flavors of this here on these forums and you are not the only one actively engaged in it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you were just the "honeypot" or obvious one to detract attention away from the real ones working on this forum.

At least that's how I would do it.
 
#12
Tovarich

far be it from me to say that you are clutching at straws here, but this article is dated may last year.

IIRC Mr. Yon said that "these guys are so good I've asked their CO if I can stay on".

Good, eh?
 
#13
ghost_us said:
KGB_resident said:
Ghost, why do you so nervous? Show me please what is namely wrong in my posts on this thread.
I'm not nervous at all. Quite relaxed drinking my tea as a matter of fact.
It's good. I'm drinking tea too. Riston, Earl Grey exactly.

ghost_us said:
Instead of asking me why I think your post is an attempt at disinformation, perhaps enlighten us as to why you thought to paraphrase Mr Yon and share only the bits like "At night, in Iraq, if a man is digging a hole on or near a road, he can be shot without warning."
Well, I thought that it is an interesting observation. Indeed normal law-abiding citizens as a rule are sleeping at night in their homes. So likely only terrorists are digging holes on or near a road.

ghost_us said:
Why did you find this particular article so interesting and that you felt you needed to comment on the one half sentence "local mentalities that cling to futile violence..." and then continue on to edit the story as to seemingly change the context with no explanation as to why you posted it?
The article is big enough and it is impossible to quote it in full. I quoted the most remarkable parts. If you wish you would place additional quotes.

Previously I thought that from your point of view each article written by talented mr.Yon is excellent. And I hope that you agree that the article is not an exception.

ghost_us said:
So again, other than you wanted to say "Local mentalities that cling to futile violence... Well said." You went well beyond that and use it as a pretext to post what you really wanted to say.
And what did I really want to say?

ghost_us said:
On a different note. why would it be so absurd that FSB has active operations against the US on one of it's allies unofficial military web forums?
Ghost, I'm a private person and haven't any connection to any Russian (or any other) secret or special service.

ghost_us said:
I don't doubt that there are many flavors of this here on these forums and you are not the only one actively engaged in it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if you were just the "honeypot" or obvious one to detract attention away from the real ones working on this forum.

At least that's how I would do it.
You are so suspicious Ghost. Relax. Don't worrt, be happy.
 
#14
Bravo_Bravo said:
Tovarich

far be it from me to say that you are clutchung at straws here, but this article is dated may last year.

IIRC Mr. Yon said that "these guys are so good I've asked their CO if I can stay on".

Good, eh?
Good.
 
#15
Certa_Cito said:
Judging by the above and taking it into context with the drivel from this morning http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1893601.html#1893601, I´d say good old Sergey has been on the waccy baccy or the vodka all day :D
I think Sergey is on holiday, it's his assistant on duty at the FSB's Arrse desk. Normally his English is rather good, aside from his name, you wouldn't usually be able to tell English isn't his first language from a casual glance. Today, some of his posts look like babelfish translations.

Other than that, I don't actually see anything particularly untoward with his post, it's just a little 'Russian' is all. And where would we be without cultural quirks?
 
#16
KGB_resident said:
Ghost, I'm a private person and haven't any connection to any Russian (or any other) secret or special service.
IIRC In another post you stated that your father was ex-KGB and hinted at ties to FSB. That's not exactly "No connection".

KGB_resident said:
You are so suspicious Ghost. Relax. Don't worrt, be happy.
KGB active measures techniques included the use of agents of influence, forgeries, covert media placements, and controlled media to covertly introduce carefully crafted arguments, information, disinformation, and slogans into the discourse in government, media, religious, business, economic, and public arenas in targeted countries. These operations were characterized as "black" because the Soviet role was totally concealed. These KGB operations were carried out by members of line PR (political intelligence) in Soviet residencies, the KGB units in Soviet embassies in foreign countries. According to Gordievsky, line PR officers were supposed to spend about 25 percent of their time on active measures operations.

The above quote very clearly clearly defines your activities on this forum, whether you be professional or amateur.

I'm not a suspicious guy by nature, and I almost always say whats on my mind (which would make me a very poor politician or spy I'm afraid).

The amount of time you must spend looking through things to post some of the stuff you post, and the content and context of what you post leads me to this conclusion.

The "Frenemy" language (Frenemy = Enemy acting as a friend) in many of the posts.

I prefer to hear your actual opinions on things. Honest Sergey opinions which are so lacking in your posts. They are guarded and suspiciously tailored to deliver a message all the while maintaining a friendly demeanor, language, and posture.

Note: Also I want to make it clear that I am in no way Anti-Russian. I still have relatives there somewhere and a lineage to that part of the world. In fact my Grandmother was one of the first westerners to visit Moscow in the 70's and I still have the picture of her in front of the Kremlin.
 
#17
ottar said:
Certa_Cito said:
Judging by the above and taking it into context with the drivel from this morning http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1893601.html#1893601, I´d say good old Sergey has been on the waccy baccy or the vodka all day :D
I think Sergey is on holiday, it's his assistant on duty at the FSB's Arrse desk. Normally his English is rather good, aside from his name, you wouldn't usually be able to tell English isn't his first language from a casual glance. Today, some of his posts look like babelfish translations.

Other than that, I don't actually see anything particularly untoward with his post, it's just a little 'Russian' is all. And where would we be without cultural quirks?
There is nothing wrong with the post apart from it provides nothing. No comment, no analysis and even the piece extracted is nothing new or unusually.

Is Sergey Tripwire in disguise? Please don't let there be two dull slash a paste specialists on ARRSE!
 
#19
ghost_us said:
KGB_resident said:
Ghost, I'm a private person and haven't any connection to any Russian (or any other) secret or special service.
IIRC In another post you stated that your father was ex-KGB and hinted at ties to FSB. That's not exactly "No connection".

KGB_resident said:
You are so suspicious Ghost. Relax. Don't worrt, be happy.
KGB active measures techniques included the use of agents of influence, forgeries, covert media placements, and controlled media to covertly introduce carefully crafted arguments, information, disinformation, and slogans into the discourse in government, media, religious, business, economic, and public arenas in targeted countries. These operations were characterized as "black" because the Soviet role was totally concealed. These KGB operations were carried out by members of line PR (political intelligence) in Soviet residencies, the KGB units in Soviet embassies in foreign countries. According to Gordievsky, line PR officers were supposed to spend about 25 percent of their time on active measures operations.

The above quote very clearly clearly defines your activities on this forum, whether you be professional or amateur.

I'm not a suspicious guy by nature, and I almost always say whats on my mind (which would make me a very poor politician or spy I'm afraid).

The amount of time you must spend looking through things to post some of the stuff you post, and the content and context of what you post leads me to this conclusion.

The "Frenemy" language (Frenemy = Enemy acting as a friend) in many of the posts.

I prefer to hear your actual opinions on things. Honest Sergey opinions which are so lacking in your posts.
Ghost, in many cases I disagree with the majority here expressing my actual opinions on different things. Frequently I'm the only who express alternative views.

Of course I'm fond of joking. Maybe you regard my irony as insincere opinions?

In what my post I was dishonest from you point of view?

Ghost, I like our British friends and I like the Americans. As for politicians then it is a separate theme. As for British ones then my respect toward learned mr.Blair and talented mr.Brown is rather bigger than average one in the ARRSE. Mr.Bush... Well, my attitude to him is ironic.
 
#20
dingerr said:
ottar said:
Certa_Cito said:
Judging by the above and taking it into context with the drivel from this morning http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1893601.html#1893601, I´d say good old Sergey has been on the waccy baccy or the vodka all day :D
I think Sergey is on holiday, it's his assistant on duty at the FSB's Arrse desk. Normally his English is rather good, aside from his name, you wouldn't usually be able to tell English isn't his first language from a casual glance. Today, some of his posts look like babelfish translations.

Other than that, I don't actually see anything particularly untoward with his post, it's just a little 'Russian' is all. And where would we be without cultural quirks?
There is nothing wrong with the post apart from it provides nothing. No comment, no analysis and even the piece extracted is nothing new or unusually.

Is Sergey Tripwire in disguise? Please don't let there be two dull slash a paste specialists on ARRSE!
As you see my thread caused a storm of emotions expressed by our friend Ghost_us. So likely he has seen something special.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top