"Ratshot" rounds

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Apr 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone tried "Ratshot" rounds through a normal .22 rifle and, if so, have you had any problems with the rifling getting fouled?
    The normal .22s would be too dangerous to use in a very enclosed space and would definitely go through the rats and also the corrugated sheet walls of the buildings

2. Never used them but I used to use a 9mm shotgun or 'garden gun' as they used to be called. Safe enough if you're not too close to the walls, air rifle would be safer though.

If you punch a hole with an air rifle you can plug it with a pop rivet.

3. When a friend was assigned to a snake filled US sub base his wife would not take the kids into the backyard without a 1911A1 on her hip full of snakeshot. Over 3 years she killed 27 poisonous snakes in the yard near the swingset as well as a few poor unsuspecting King snakes mistaken for Coral snakes as she could never remember the color bands or the saying "red and black, friend of Jack; red and yellow kill a fellow". She was a good shot though.

4. Used the "birdshot" version, for rats many years ago to clear rats and pigeons in a grain barn.

Irregular pattern of shot and fairly short range IIRC.

Used the No3 garden gun (9mm rf) in the enclosed farm yard with effect but best was a .410 with 1.5 inch cartridges.

Oh and my memory of both .22 shotshells and No3 /9mm rf is that they were expensive.

5. Used a .410 with light shot to clear out some garages and did very little damage apart from some scrapes to the paint work. Can't remember the cartridges I used but I seem to remember that they were shorter than the normal ones used for rabbits.

6. I have used them through a .22 Bernardelli M69 target pistol, and I reloaded some .357 with rat shot for use in a Marlin carbine, when our construction site had a rat problem , both worked great but had a slight fouling problem with the carbine. I use the 22 round inside a Portacabin and a caravan without damage, and sat on the top of a JCB loading shovel killing rats with the .357

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have several single shot rimfires, the CCI shot I use in .22rf looks like someone stuck a pill on the end of a cartridge and they work finr, they wont go through 2mm of ply at 10 yards but stick in deep. I also have 9mm rf but the .22 are so much cheaper. The one advantage I do have is my .410 shot pistol still on ticket as section 1.

8. Is the 410 pistol single or double, a mate had one some years ago, it was a double barrel and looked like a mini "Howdah" pistol with hammers it was quite beautifully engraved, I really fancied it, can't remember who it was made by though

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its a Belgian twin with hammers, no visible number! There must have been thousands imported!

10. I just phoned Nev my mate, it was a Pedersoli 20 bore, he had, but it was about twenty years ago , and it did look very good, The Belgian guns were much loved by poachers

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

[​IMG]
    My Belgian with a 2 inch cartridge above the 3 inch one. This one only chambers 2 inchers.

12. LOL!!! I can personally say .22 rat shot works very well in both the Ruger 10-22 and Marlin rifles. Ive used them both to keep the barn cleared. Special note though. don't use them up close on scorpions. The scorpion will do a magic act and disappear in a puff of smoke. only to have the wrong piece (stinger) reappear embedded in yer cheek. Oh.....only use the long rifle version. Not the shorts. You'll get better penetration results. Also They do work well close in for robins, doves, and pigeons if you're trying to scrounge up a meal.
    Hope that helps

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I find that they dont cycle wel in semi autos, the plastic shot capsules on the CCI ammo breaks very easily!

14. Yeah. They will do that when ya go into full apeshit mode. I had to learn to pop the rats that were just sitting there minding their business. If they take off on a run. let em go. you'll get two to three shots off then an OH SHITE! Not so bad to clear though. the round never goes fully in. So flip it on the right. pull bolt back. flip the round out. shake it twice to clear the plastic. cycle next round. all set. Will have to agree. It does work better with bolt action.
    Found early on....not to be used on rattlesnakes or copperheads. If you're not point blank for a clean head shot. All it does is turn the whole matter into failblog or youtube material.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I prefer martini actions for shot cartridges so no really fast follow ups but no fowl ups either!